Porteus v3.1rc2 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus v3.1rc2 bug reports

Post#31 by fanthom » 23 Nov 2014, 14:53

@cttan
usual problem with changes. cant help you - sorry.

@Blaze
will check this - thanks

@Ed_P
so did upgrade resolve your issue?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#32 by Ed_P » 23 Nov 2014, 22:32

fanthom wrote:@Ed_P
so did upgrade resolve your issue?
It appears to have. And for 3.0.1 also. But now it needs an upgrade to Flash and Java mods.
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#33 by Bogomips » 25 Nov 2014, 00:46

Re post of 20th Nov: Mate 32 bit AF
brokenman wrote:Bogomips, please answer some questions.
brokenman wrote:Are you testing on a real install or in a virtual environment?
Don't think it's a virtual environment.

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ grep command /var/log/dmesg 
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: quiet copy2ram ramsize=30% noauto timezone=Europe/London volume=60% noload=kde load=t/003-m
guest@porteus:~$ cat /var/log/porteus-livedbg 
# Modules activated during boot time:
/memory/copy2ram/000-kernel.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/001-core.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/002-xorg.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/sudo-1.8.9p5-i486-1.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/003-mate.xzm
All to do with trying to help sort out ImageMagick puzzle. (Testing still, due to intervening system crashes) Coming across all these other anomalies along the way.
brokenman wrote:What is your screen resolution?
1280 x 1024 60 Hz
brokenman wrote:Are you in fresh mode?
Yes, always.
brokenman wrote:Dragging a window to the left or right top corner should tile the window to take up half the screen. This is the intended behaviour and it is what I experience with all windows I tested. Clicking the green restore button restores the window to its original size for me. Any ideas why you are not getting the same result?
Nvidia card with Nouveau driver, perhaps.
brokenman wrote:EDIT:
I was able to reproduce the situation above when running the window into the TOP of the screen in the middle only. It then grew to full screen size (expected) and the middle green button would not reduce it. Clicking on the title bar and dragging the window away from the top restored it to its previous size.
Works. However with Mousepad, if window not dragged away, but closed. On reopening, window fills whole screen, and dragging window just pushes it down, at full size.

Mate Anomalies
  1. Mousepad
    1. Selecting File>New gets new tab Untitled 2, but there is no Untitled 1 to be seen
    2. Undo undoes everything: File>New. Copied selection from other file tab to Untitled 2, using Ctl+C/V. Did Replace All, replacing 6 occurrences. Found replaced with incorrect string, did Undo, which should have undone the Replace, but instead left with blank tab! After Redo, did Replace All to correct erroneous Replace. Then did second Replace All, replacing 4 occurrences. Lastly, as test, did Undo, which removed everything once again. Redo restored the contents.
  2. Console(Ctl+Alt+Fn)
    1. Ctl+Alt+F2 gets console. Then Alt+F2,F3, etc is fine. If then followed by Alt+F1, a blank light grey screen results.
    2. Ctl+Alt+F1 gets console, then moving on with Alt+F2,F3, etc is fine. If then followed by Alt+F1, a blank light grey screen results.
    Only way out from light grey screen, was SysRq RE[ISUB]. Screen became black, got blue revolving circle in centre of screen, then landed back in X. As if it was a Login after a Logout.
Re post of 20th Nov: XFCE 32 bit AF

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ grep command /var/log/dmesg 
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: quiet copy2ram ramsize=30% noauto timezone=Europe/London volume=60% noload=kde load=t/003-x
# Modules activated during boot time:
/memory/copy2ram/000-kernel.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/001-core.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/002-xorg.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/sudo-1.8.9p5-i486-1.xzm
/memory/copy2ram/003-xfce.xzm
brokenman wrote:Thanks Bogomips. I couldn't reproduce this on 64bit but will try in 32bit tonight.
I'm afraid I couldn't reproduce it on 32bit either. Copied and unmounted successfully here. Can you reproduce it?
Simplest Reproducible Sequence Thunar
  1. Copy Gprt 64kB from [mnt/]sdb1/tra: Ctl+C -> $HOME Ctl+V (using T). (Just to get similar type file.)
  2. mv Gprt prt
  3. Ctl+C prt -> tra (using <-) Ctl+V
  4. Dialog Replace existing prt? (prt already existing in tra)
  5. Replace
  6. In Thunar left Panel right-click sdb1>Unmount
      • sdb1 gets never-ending revolving circle beside it
      • "Writing data to device.
        Please do not disconnect" This window on top RHS remains even after usb pulled out. Only clicking on it closes window
      In this instance sdb1 gets unmounted when usb pulled out.
    lsblk
    On KDE and LXQT response instantaneous. On both MATE and XFCE extremely slow response of 13 seconds (timed using stopwatch).
    Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
    NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
    Site Admin
    Site Admin
    Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#34 by brokenman » 25 Nov 2014, 22:29

Nvidia card with Nouveau driver, perhaps.
    Perhaps. I have no way of testing this in that case. Can anyone else try to reproduce this? I am seeing expected behaviour in regards to all window resizing/snapping.
    Works. However with Mousepad, if window not dragged away, but closed. On reopening, window fills whole screen, and dragging window just pushes it down, at full size.
    Expected behaviour. Mousepad reopens in the last state (maximized) and you can resize window using any border. Dragging down to snapback/resize only works in same session.
    Selecting File>New gets new tab Untitled 2, but there is no Untitled 1 to be seen
    I am seeing initial tab called 'Untitled 1' after opening a new tab.
    Undo undoes everything
    I can reproduce this. Probably has to do with which buffers replace, paste and undo use. If I paste and then add a full stop. Then doing find & replace and then undoing it removes everything including the dot. I can't find any bugs filed for this behaviour in mousepad and wouldn't know where to start debugging this one.

Regarding the console anomaly: I will test this tonight before shutdown ... have some jobs going in the background right now.

Regarding the xfce unmount problem: I have tried every which way but can not reproduce it. File is overwritten instantly. No delay with lsblk or blkid. Removable drive unmounts graciously and instantly even when I am in the device being unmounted. Will need somebody else to reproduce this and give reproducible steps in order to debug.
    How do i become super user?
    Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

StefanO
    White ninja
    White ninja
    Distribution: Porteus 3.01 & Kubuntu 14

Post#35 by StefanO » 27 Nov 2014, 10:03

v3.1rc2, 32 Bit, LXQT (maybe all versions ...)

The command
    top -b -n 1
    doesnt work, the error message ist
    'dump': unknown terminal type.

Reason for this message is the missing file
    dump
    in
    /usr/share/terminfo/d

If this file exist, i copied it from an other distro, top -b works well.

BTW: PCManfm doesent work in "menu/system/supermode", starting this (pcmanfm-qt) from the bash as root doesnt display any icons.
    Thanks for the incredible porteus.

brokenman
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post#36 by brokenman » 27 Nov 2014, 23:24

Confirmed in another desktop.

BTW: The missing file is called 'dumb' and it lives in ncurses. It is 4Kb.

tims
    Ronin
    Ronin
    Distribution: Porteus LXDE

Post#37 by tims » 28 Nov 2014, 09:20

LXQt 32bit
    I found that although I have "ao=alsa,oss" in ~/.mplayer/config, mplayer still tries oss first. Looking into the config file I found two profile tags, [default] and [vo.vdpau], the former coming before the latter. I checked the mplayer man page and found this:
    A profile starts with its name between square brackets, e.g. '[my-profile]'. All following options will be part of the profile. . . . To end the profile, start another one or use the profile name 'default' to continue with normal options.
    So I moved [vo.vdpau] so that it comes before [default], and solved the problem.

fanthom
    Moderator Team
    Moderator Team
    Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#38 by fanthom » 28 Nov 2014, 09:57

@StefanO
    will add this file to 3.1. final.
    i have removed ncurses package in 3.0 release (copied only few terminals from puppy) and was expecting similar bug reports much sooner :)
    glad that we got only one as this means we have a cover for majority of cases in core.

@tims
    will update mplayer config - thanks
    Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ElectriQT
    Samurai
    Samurai
    Distribution: LXDE3.5Manjaro, LXDE3.01-32bit

Post#39 by ElectriQT » 01 Dec 2014, 17:57

Hi,
    some more tests resulted in a lot of words, but I gave up as
    English is not my native lang. So.. in a link below, 10+ screenshots instead of 20 000 words, ;-)

As I dont know Linux sadly I cant help to "fix" anything, (yet)
    but maybe it still can be some useful work for you guys at the Porteus team if I help to find out some more bugs.

This below was some of the first things I found after the start up, there will for sure be more to find in MATE..,
    MATE seems (to me) not at all be ready for "going live" soon, but it feels very promissing, very good looking,
    feels fast and well made, besides all the horrors, errors and known/unknown risks.

So this time I did try out MATE for 3.1Rc2 (32bit)
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=206114F2 ... D81289!184
    (So BEFORE you click on any picture there, ..please chose from in menu: "SORT BY NAME" ,
    to have them, and the "story", shown in the correct order. )

- A Big Thanx for the current LXDE 3.01 32bit ! It works very nice for me, every day!
    I have had 30+ days uptime without any hdd and usb pluged in, all the os and softwares running in my 2 or 4GB RAM laptops (5-7 years old Lenovos) with 20% zRam as Swap area. And about 400 tabs in Firefox sometimes. :-/ I then might ned to use the htop module to shut down mozillas plugincontainer, with flash & its memoryswelliness-evil :-)

- The only things I really do miss here and cant fix: The BankID app! Sadly they do have one of the most Terrible installation script ever made(??) I cant figure out how to get it in the right spot(s) in the Porteus filesystem. Also I really DO miss Bluetooth, like to connect with my cellphone.. )

brokenman
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post#40 by brokenman » 01 Dec 2014, 19:09

MATE seems (to me) not at all be ready for "going live" soon, but it feels very promissing
    Ah ... it's been live (and unchanged) now for over 12 months with almost zero bug reports.. From your screenshots I can find only 1 mate related problem and that is the 'GIMP skin'screenshot. The reason may be because there IS no menu but I need to wait until I get home to check. The other problems have nothing to do with mate, and are in fact in the core modules which appear in every desktop environment.

ElectriQT
    Samurai
    Samurai

Post#41 by ElectriQT » 01 Dec 2014, 19:27

brokenman wrote:
    MATE seems (to me) not at all be ready for "going live" soon, but it feels very promissing
    Ah ... it's been live (and unchanged) now for over 12 months with almost zero bug reports.. From your screenshots I can find only 1 mate related problem and that is the 'GIMP skin'screenshot. The reason may be because there IS no menu but I need to wait until I get home to check. The other problems have nothing to do with mate, and are in fact in the core modules which appear in every desktop environment.
    :-) I see,

But do we have any idea why it only(?) or mostly, seems to show up as problems in mate?
    ( I think of the Mount/unmount problems now, for example. )

brokenman
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post#42 by brokenman » 01 Dec 2014, 20:37

Uhm ... and I thought I was ready and done for final shutdown of MATE, but found another bug. "Can't mount", hmm, ok"? No, it should ask for root passwd here right?
    Look under 'filesystem' and you will find that your partitions are already mounted under /mnt/sdxY. The name of this 'drive' in your picture is called FUJITSU (something you blacked out) which is clearly the drive and not a partition. You can't mount a drive. You can mount partitions of a drive. This is not just in mate but in ALL linux like distros, and win, and mac.

The default behaviour of Caja is to not show the fixed drive partitions on the side. You can add them if you choose.
    EDIT
    If you want a partition to show, open a root terminal and type: showpart /mnt/sda5 or showpart <LABEL> where <LABEL> is the label of the partition you want to show in the left pane of Caja.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to show with the screenshots of you checking your firewall through a browser.

The mount manager appears to show you trying to unmount a partition as guest, receiving a warning that you couldn't unmount, and then showing with a pink dot that the drive was not unmounted. Is this unusual?

The USM screenshot shows a window with you pointing to the slackware version and gnu version of bash. USM shows only slackware packages, not source files for gnu. It will only provide you with what slackware provides as the latest packages.

Some of the other pictures i didn't quite understand. You did an ok job with the english in these screenshots so please express what you feel to be a bug here. Please confirm that it is actually a bug beforehand though please.

EDIT
    Confirmed the bug with the menu in gimp (a new addition to mate). Looks like I will have to go back to the standard gimp theme unless anyone good with themes can find this problem.

StefanO
    White ninja
    White ninja
    Distribution: Porteus 3.01 & Kubuntu 14

Post#43 by StefanO » 02 Dec 2014, 00:19

v3.1rc2, 32 Bit, LXQT, Opensource Video Card Driver, Monitor resolution

Changing the resolution from 1024x768 to 1440x900 is ok, but its not possible to save this change. (Yes, i clicked the save button!)
    The next start (logout&login or logout&restart) will be given the old (1024x768) resolution.
    Next issue is, maximizing to full screen - the firefox or any other program in the 1440x900 resolution expand the active window only to 1024x768 and not to the whole screen.
    Thanks for the incredible porteus.

ElectriQT
    Samurai
    Samurai

Post#44 by ElectriQT » 02 Dec 2014, 00:52

I'm not really sure what you are trying to show with the screenshots of you checking your firewall through a browser.
    -Hm, hehe, OK
    No I probably didnt do a very good job there to show the problems as I think might be.
    Anyway, I will try to explain in words. Yes the pictures shows a port scan, from the WAN side of course,
    But I had 1 test-port open here in the lab, (#53) , open in the *external* firewalls that sits before the porteus laptop.

Porteus Default FW settings are untouched in the first screenshot and read firewall = "OFF" in the GUI,
    But then this first test shows that 53 was a blocked/droped port anyway, by porteus,
    So our default in Porteus IPtables might /seems to be "drop all incomming"? when the FW-GUI shows me it is "OFF".
    well, If that is the case, that is a bit confusing for me.. ;-)

(and I dont understand IPtables yet so I cant check it in any other way now than just "test it" from some external site, thats why. +I like to verify things anyway ;-)

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=206114F2 ... 89!193&v=3
    -is this an expected behavior, when we actually have it set to "off" ?
    If so, I have totally misunderstood the on/off concept and please excuse me.

But OK, Im glad that block/drop seems to be the default behavior when "off". :-)

But Now.. AFTER that we did try to set Porteus FW via the GUI to "Block All",
    https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=206114F2 ... 89!195&v=3
    then it seems like Porteus actually will OPEN up this port that was stelth before.
    (And Maybe even more ports opens up with "block all"..? Sorry I cant check that here and now. )

If all this was misunderstood by me i really do apologize

brokenman
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post#45 by brokenman » 02 Dec 2014, 03:19

Thanks for the explanation. I will do some further testing with the information you have provided here.