[Solved] Chrome locale problem

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Zachar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus MATE v3.0.1 x86_64

[Solved] Chrome locale problem

Post#1 by Zachar » 12 Nov 2014, 13:35

Hello,

I'm a fresh user of a 64bit Porteus 3.0.1 with MATE. Everything works great and I'm very satisfied with what I was given. As a finishing touch I wanted to install all the localizations using the built in tool and the process went well with one exception - Chrome browser. Below I attach the screenshots showing my problem. It seems like all the fields in my browser have misplaced text on them. The words seem to be translated correctly but they're just in the wrong places. I get the same results in KDE environment. I'm using polish (pl) locale and I would be very thankful for helping me out with this.

Menu:

Settings:

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Zachar on 15 Nov 2014, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Re: Chrome locale problem

Post#2 by tome » 12 Nov 2014, 17:43

I would do it so:
Go to https://www.google.com/intl/pl/chrome/, download .deb package and unpack.
Find pl.pak (should be at /chrome/locales directory)
Go to /opt ... /chrome/locales and replace your old pl.pak with downloaded one.
It should work if your installed google-chrome version is not far from downloaded package version.

(or better way could be using downloaded and extracted .deb package - independent from Porteus/Slackware and it could be always up to date)
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

Zachar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus MATE v3.0.1 x86_64

Re: Chrome locale problem

Post#3 by Zachar » 12 Nov 2014, 23:46

Thank you. Your suggestion worked. I think the key here is, as you mentioned, to copy a locale file from a version that is as close as possible to the installed one.