[Solved] 3.0.1 : pxe and copy2ram doest not work together

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
jmheneman
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 LXDE Google Chrome

[Solved] 3.0.1 : pxe and copy2ram doest not work together

Post#1 by jmheneman » 06 Nov 2014, 17:02

Hello

Booting from a usb key (containing raw copy of an iso hybrid of Porteus 3.0.1) and attempting to launch

Code: Select all

vmlinuz copy2ram initrd=initrd.xz pxe utc
shows the following error message during the boot :

Code: Select all

/opt/porteus-scripts/pxe-server: line 45 :  /mnt/sda1/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz: No such file or directory
(No hard disk is present in the computer. The objective is to remove the USB and let the computer run alone.)

The boot continues normally.

But when attempting to boot a client thru PXE in that config, it will never boot even if it find the DHCP.

(I did test without copy2ram and everything works as exepected.)

Jean-Marc
Last edited by jmheneman on 08 Nov 2014, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: 3.0.1 : pxe and copy2ram doest not work together

Post#2 by fanthom » 06 Nov 2014, 21:13

hello Jean-Marc,

when 'copy2ram' is used then only xzm modules are copied to RAM and not full ISO. pxe boot requires vmlinuz, initrd, bootloader files, bootsplash picture, etc so there is no possibility to unplug the usb.

if you want to use copy2ram + pxe then you have to add 'noeject' cheatcode so usb wont be unmounted (but it's still required to have it plugged to the PC)

if you really need to unplug the usb then boot with copy2ram + pxe + noeject then copy /boot and /porteus folders through /etc/rc.d/rc.local to /tmp/stick -> once done unmount the usb through the script and prompt for removing it -> move /tmp/stick to /mnt/sda1.

now let's make things more complicated:
the downside is that modules will be doubled in RAM: one copy in /mnt/live/memory/copy2ram (if i remember correctly the path) and other in /mnt/sda1/porteus/base. to resolve this so you could copy just /boot folder to /tmp/stick -> unmount and unplug the usb -> move /tmp/stick/boot to /mnt/sda1 -> mount bind /mnt/live/memory/copy2ram to /mnt/sda1/porteus/base. this method is much faster as copying only the /boot folder will take a second.

never tested but should work :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jmheneman
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 LXDE Google Chrome

Re: 3.0.1 : pxe and copy2ram doest not work together

Post#3 by jmheneman » 08 Nov 2014, 03:23

Thanks a lot for the details!

(without pxe at boot time) I tested mounting by hand the (iso) partition on /mnt/isoloop and start pxe-server by hand. It worked.
(It requires to leave the USB key plugged in.)

I will try (when I will have more time) the other method that permit unplugging and using less RAM.

Have a nice week-end,
Jean-Marc