Porteus v3.1rc1 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Porteus v3.1rc1 bug reports

Post#46 by Ed_P » 31 Oct 2014, 17:42

fanthom wrote:"Still unable to get FireFox to process Linksys router's Cisco Guest account signin password."
i really doubt it's related to firefox version. rather some firefox settings got messed up. try under opera/chrome and in case of success try firefox in 'always fresh' mode.
I'm posting with Opera-12.16.1860-x86_64-1sl.xzm module in Porteus Always Fresh mode and connected to the Guest Access account. The password verification works with Opera.

BTW Module downloaded USM 3.1.7 GUI after databases downloaded. After adding the databases and restarting USM GUI and selecting Opera to download a window opened saying there were database updates available. The update test checking hrs & mins and not seconds too? That could explain the update msg.

--edit--
brokenman wrote:When I get a chance I will boot into lxqt and see why qca is being picked up as a dependency.
FYI With Porteus in AF mode and LXQt DE and a fresh set of USM database files rebuilding the KPatience module did not include any dependencies !! I couldn't deactivate the other module, kpat-4.10.5-x86_65-bundle.xzm, to test the new one. I'm not sure with that name module built with USM.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#47 by brokenman » 31 Oct 2014, 18:16

I just pushed a database update a couple of minutes ago. Perhaps this is why.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#48 by Ed_P » 31 Oct 2014, 18:55

LXQt x86_64

If I run syndaemon, syndaemon -i 1 -d, in AF mode to stop the stupid cursor from jumping around the mouse pointer freezes. The Tab key allows me to select different things but not the signoff option or to switch to a different window. I have to reboot to restart.

PCManFM doesn't hold it's settings. If I deselect the Devices menu and eventually close and restart PCManFM, not rebooting, the Devices menu is exposed again.

--edit--
brokenman wrote:I just pushed a database update a couple of minutes ago. Perhaps this is why.
Perhaps, but recycling USM after downloading all the databases, which does take a minute or two, and selecting a module to download doesn't take long for me. And since I have seen this at least twice after downloading the databases in AF mode just thought you might want to know. Just trying to help with the new release.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#49 by brokenman » 31 Oct 2014, 19:28

The Tab key allows me to select different things but not the signoff option or to switch to a different window
Alt+TAB should allow you to switch to a different window.
Ctrl+Alt+Back Space should kill X which will then bounce you back out to your login manager allowing you to login again.
Ctrl+Alt+F3 should switch you to a different tty (black text screen) which will allow you to kill the daemon. Then Ctrl+Alt+F? (where ? is the current tty) should get you back to your GUI.

It would however be better to find the cause instead of using the syndaemon bandaid.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#50 by Ed_P » 31 Oct 2014, 20:07

brokenman wrote:Alt+TAB should allow you to switch to a different window.
Ctrl+Alt+Back Space should kill X which will then bounce you back out to your login manager allowing you to login again.
Ctrl+Alt+F3 should switch you to a different tty (black text screen) which will allow you to kill the daemon. Then Ctrl+Alt+F? (where ? is the current tty) should get you back to your GUI
Thank you. :friends:

What command would I use to kill the daemon?
It would however be better to find the cause instead of using the syndaemon bandaid.
"bandaid"!! "ELEGANT SOLUTION" I'll have you know. http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =45#p13596 :wink: And it has worked fine since 2.1. Maybe even 1.2, not sure when I implemented it.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#51 by brokenman » 31 Oct 2014, 21:21

Code: Select all

pkill syndaemon
Yes I'm aware of where the fix came from but it does not address the underlying problem. The pointer shouldn't be jumping around willy nilly without the syndaemon intervention. It doesn't on most systems.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#52 by Ed_P » 31 Oct 2014, 22:40

Rebooted to AF mode, retried syndeamon command and pointer is not hung at this point. I may have executed the command twice the last time. PCManFM executes things that spaceFM would display when dbl clicked. Not a bad thing, just need to get use to this.

PCManFM not only doesn't keep the menu config I set it doesn't keep the window size configs either. :x
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#53 by brokenman » 31 Oct 2014, 22:46

Not entirely sure about the qt version but try this:

Add to the config file:
win_width=600
win_height=700

The config file should be in the home folder somewhere. Maybe pcmanfm.conf.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#54 by Ed_P » 31 Oct 2014, 23:05

Thank you brokenman. :beer:

/home/guest/.config/pcmanfm-qt/lxqt/settings.conf Closed PCManFM. changed Width and Height, reopened, no change. Closed, added the two lines you suggested, reopened, still no change.

PCManFM > Edit > Preferences > User Interface has fields to adjust windows size.

Firefox - the house icon on the Toolbar - putting the mouse pointer over it displays "about:newtab". Shouldn't it be "Home"?
Ed

cttan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 and 4.0 64bit KDE

Post#55 by cttan » 01 Nov 2014, 05:24

I have seen kriss posting on mini chat and thought of building the nvidia driver as well but failed.
I have downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run from nvidia website and blacklisted nouveau.
Then rebooted into text mode to start the installer.

# cat /var/log/nvidia-installer.log

Code: Select all

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Sat Nov  1 13:13:10 2014
installer version: 331.20

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/porteus-scripts:/usr/lib64/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde3/lib64/qt3/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib64/qt/bin:/usr/lib64/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde3/lib64/qt3/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib64/qt/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface                                                                                                                                                  
-> License accepted.                                                                                                                                                                            
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 331.20.                                                                                                                                                     
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".                                                                                                                                                     
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/3.17.0-porteus/source'                                                                                                                                     
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/3.17.0-porteus/build'                                                                                                                                      
-> Performing rivafb check.                                                                                                                                                                     
-> Performing nvidiafb check.                                                                                                                                                                   
-> Performing Xen check.                                                                                                                                                                        
-> Performing PREEMPT_RT check.                                                                                                                                                                 
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.                                                                                                                                                      
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; make clean'...                                                                                                                                                      
-> Building NVIDIA kernel module:                                                                                                                                                               
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.17.0-porteus/source SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.17.0-porteus/build NV_BUILD_MODULE_INSTANCES='...                                       
   NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...                                                                                                                                                                    
   make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.17'                                                                                                                                            
   make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/3.17.0-porteus/build'                                                                                                                              
   make -C /lib/modules/3.17.0-porteus/build \                                                                                                                                                  
   KBUILD_SRC=/usr/src/linux-3.17 \                                                                                                                                                             
   KBUILD_EXTMOD="/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel" -f /usr/src/linux-3.17/Makefile \                                                                                          
   modules                                                                                                                                                                                      
   test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (             \                                                                                                       
   echo >&2;                                                    \                                                                                                                               
   echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";                \                                                                                                                       
   echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\                                                                                                  
   echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";   \                                                                                                       
   echo >&2 ;                                                   \                                                                                                                               
   /bin/false)                                                                                                                                                                                  
   mkdir -p /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/.tmp_versions/*                                           
   make -f /usr/src/linux-3.17/scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel                                                                                     
     cc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/.nv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/4.8.2/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.17/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -I/usr/src/linux-3.17/include -Iinclude -I/usr/src/linux-3.17/arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I/usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/kconfig.h   -I/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -fno-delete-null-pointer-check
   s -Os -Wno-maybe-uninitialized --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fno-stack-protector -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-var-tracking-assignments -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -DNV_MODULE_INSTANCE=0 -DNV_BUILD_MODULE_INSTANCES=0 -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG   -I/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel -Wall -MD -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNVRM -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"331.20\" -Wno-unused-function -Wuninitialized -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DNV_UVM_ENABLE -D__linux__ -DNV_DEV_NAME=\"nvidia\"  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(nv)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(nvidia)" -c -o /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv.o /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv.c
   In file included from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/stddef.h:1:0,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/stddef.h:4,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/posix_types.h:4,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/types.h:13,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/types.h:5,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/capability.h:16,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/capability.h:15,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/sched.h:15,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/utsname.h:5,
                    from /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv-linux.h:44,
                    from /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv.c:13:
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/asm-generic/qrwlock.h: In function ‘queue_write_trylock’:
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/asm-generic/qrwlock.h:93:35: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
             cnts, cnts | _QW_LOCKED) == cnts);
                                      ^
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/compiler.h:159:40: note: in definition of macro ‘likely’
    # define likely(x) __builtin_expect(!!(x), 1)
                                           ^
   In file included from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/stddef.h:1:0,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/stddef.h:4,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/posix_types.h:4,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/types.h:13,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/types.h:5,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/uapi/linux/capability.h:16,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/capability.h:15,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/sched.h:15,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/utsname.h:5,
                    from /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv-linux.h:44,
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h: In function ‘copy_from_user’:
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:712:26: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
     if (likely(sz < 0 || sz >= n))
                             ^
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/linux/compiler.h:159:40: note: in definition of macro ‘likely’
                                           ^
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h: In function ‘copy_to_user’:
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:730:26: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
     if (likely(sz < 0 || sz >= n))
                             ^
                                           ^
   In file included from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/acpi/platform/acenv.h:172:0,
                    from /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/acpi/acpi.h:56,
                    from /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv-linux.h:269,
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/acpi/platform/aclinux.h: At top level:
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/acpi/platform/aclinux.h:52:2: error: #error "Please don't include <acpi/acpi.h> directly, include <linux/acpi.h> instead."
    #error "Please don't include <acpi/acpi.h> directly, include <linux/acpi.h> instead."
     ^
   In file included from /tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv-linux.h:270:0,
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/acpi/acpi_drivers.h:98:43: warning: ‘struct acpi_pci_root’ declared inside parameter list [enabled by default]
    struct pci_bus *pci_acpi_scan_root(struct acpi_pci_root *root);
                                              ^
   /usr/src/linux-3.17/include/acpi/acpi_drivers.h:98:43: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want [enabled by default]
   make[3]: *** [/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel/nv.o] Error 1
   make[2]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz7193/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20/kernel] Error 2
   make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.17'
   NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
    nvidia.ko failed to build!
   make: *** [nvidia.ko] Error 1
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
-> done.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
root@a10b23c45d67:~/Desktop# 

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#56 by Ed_P » 01 Nov 2014, 23:28

I wasn't clear when I posted this previously. Hopefully this is better.

LXQt x86_64 netbook on battery power

Boot to AF mode
Everything functional
Power and WiFi lights lite
I close the lid
Power and WiFi lights go out.
After several seconds Power light slowly flashes
After a few seconds I open the lid
Power light comes on steady and WiFi light comes on steady
Screen blank
Pressing various keys and tapping keypad screen stays blank
Power and WiFi lights on steady
Power off and on to reboot.

Battery at 59%
LXQt power setting set to Suspend when lid closed on battery. (A very good default setting I might add. I recommend it for plugged in also.)
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#57 by Ed_P » 02 Nov 2014, 05:31

fanthom wrote:"Still unable to get FireFox to process Linksys router's Cisco Guest account signin password."
i really doubt it's related to firefox version. rather some firefox settings got messed up. try under opera/chrome and in case of success try firefox in 'always fresh' mode.
FYI & FWIW In addition to Opera the signon password screen works with mozilla-firefox-32.0.3-x86_64-1.

AND Firefox in Porteus 3.0.1 x486 works with the password signon screen. <-- edit

Why is this important, hotels we stay at in Boston require a password signon to use their WiFi systems.
Last edited by Ed_P on 03 Nov 2014, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#58 by wread » 02 Nov 2014, 16:19

My trojita receives mail ok, but cannot send mail!

The poll of brokenman made me try it... Or is it that I cannot set it up properly? :%)

I will try renaming "Sent" to "Enviados".......It doesn't work either :x

I will google to see if it is not a bug, but a donkey...
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Kriss
Samurai
Samurai

Post#59 by Kriss » 06 Nov 2014, 07:04

cttan wrote:I have seen kriss posting on mini chat and thought of building the nvidia driver as well but failed.
I have downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run from nvidia website and blacklisted nouveau.
Then rebooted into text mode to start the installer.
Did you forget 05-devel module?
I compiled nVidia-340.58-x86_64 drivers without problems. And they seem to work, but I can't play games... Guess something's wrong with 32 bit libs... Probably should have activated compat32 module. Anyway, I'll compile x86 version and try to merge them together...

Yep. Just tried x86_64 one and it works fine. Didn't test x86 one but it should be ok.
Here they are (please ignore certificate error):
https://cbkoin.ru:450/uploads/TMP/nVidia-340.58-x86.xzm
https://cbkoin.ru:450/uploads/TMP/nVidi ... x86_64.xzm

Or you need specifically 331.20 driver?
Suggestions/corrections/additions are always welcome.

Kriss
Samurai
Samurai

Post#60 by Kriss » 06 Nov 2014, 21:03

LXQt
Clicked Volume icon on the panel, clicked "Mixer". Got additional icon for QasMixer.
Not a bug of course, but I hope it's worth mentioning...
Suggestions/corrections/additions are always welcome.