2 small bug for Porteus 1.0 x32 beta

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Falcony1

2 small bug for Porteus 1.0 x32 beta

Post#1 by Falcony1 » 31 Mar 2011, 06:26

Hi,

I faced 2 small bugs for Porteus 1.0 beta 32 bit(pardon if in already posted or fixed)

1. When boot from CD on Toshiba Notebook with Mobile Pentium IV processor with 1 Gb RAM it says something like
"Couldn't copy /sbin/init file - you need at least 600KB free space inside initrd!!"
Error similar to bug on Transmeta CPU see http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=128

2. Network boot via PXE do not works, says

udhcpc: ioctl 0x8933 failed: No such device
httpfs: couldn't connect socket

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: 2 small bug for Porteus 1.0 x32 beta

Post#2 by fanthom » 31 Mar 2011, 08:26

hello Falcony,
please use 'restore password' function to get back your old profile. this account will be deactivated.

1) i guess that one used 'changes=' cheatcode and /sbin/init file was deleted accidentally. Or someone messed up initrd a bit. please boot with 'debug' cheatcode and at the end of linux-live part run 'df -h'. there should be more than 1MB free space in initrd.
2) almost all PXE drivers were removed from initrd to save space (i have left only 3 there) as this function is not very popular among porteus users. you can always tweak initrd and add required driver. it should work as expected then. it makes no sense to have all NIC drivers in initrd so tweaking is a must.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by Falcony » 01 Apr 2011, 06:57

Tnks, fantom

Burninbush
Power user
Power user

Post#4 by Burninbush » 08 Apr 2011, 05:47

I wouldn't exactly call this a bug -- rather, missing pieces. I just today got the 1.0x32 beta, did my usual frugal install, it boots fine. First move, I attempt to compile an nvidia module, but the nvidia run file says it needs to see more kernel source (??) before it can do it. I dl'ed the 'crippled-sources' module, but that didn't help.

What more do I need? Does someone have a 260-series module already made?

And, just for info -- why must we deal with the nouveau driver? Does the old nv driver no longer work? Not a killer, but definitely a pain in the ass. Why make extra problems?

I can't see why anybody with an nvidia card would NOT want the accelerator module -- IMO, that should be made available at the same time as a release -- takes all of maybe 4 minutes to produce one if you have the necessary kernel source.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#5 by Ahau » 08 Apr 2011, 13:17

Hi Burningbush,

have you already modeprobe'd kernel configs?

see: [SOLVED] Kernel config
I can't speak for the maintainers, but the nVidia closed-source drivers are very large and don't give me much improvement over nouveau. I don't use many 3-D apps.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 08 Apr 2011, 21:23

@Burninbush
i think beny compiled nvidia binary for 32bit BETA but seems that brokenman forgot (he is busy right now with real life) to add it to the repo. i'll do it when i have a chance.
A Ahau said - nouveau should be good enough for majority of users. it's catching up binary driver really quick (in some cases even overtaking it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... flip&num=1). i wouldn't go back to 'nv' as it's a lot workse than nouveau and even not maintained by Nvidia anymore: they said that users can use 'vesa' driver to download nvidia binary.

Burninbush
Power user
Power user

Post#7 by Burninbush » 09 Apr 2011, 06:55

Hi Burningbush,

have you already modeprobe'd kernel configs? >ahau

+++++++++++++++

Yes ... it produces a nice file named /root/porteus.config -- but I don't know what that gets for me. The nvidia.run file still says it can't find enough kernel source.

I don't understand this, given there is a 000-devel module in /base, and I added the crippled-sources module [just guessing it might be useful].

Can someone tell me what I need to add?

As for nouveau catching up to nvidia binary??? It certainly doesn't on this machine I'm using; the difference is obvious just from running the elevator up/down while FF is displaying this porteus page. Glxgears again; 195fps with nouveau, 1300fps with nvidia -- 6x as fast.

Posted after 19 minutes 34 seconds:
Arghhh ... I went to look at the url where I got the iso file, still no nvidia driver there -- so I perused the regular 486 modules page and found an nvidia driver by beny. It works fine, glxgears shows 1298fps.

Sorry about that complaining folks, never mind.

Now, I only have to convert all those old modules to xzm.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 09 Apr 2011, 16:58

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 16 May 2011, 23:37

I don't understand this, given there is a 000-devel module in /base, and I added the crippled-sources module [just guessing it might be useful].
Actually bb you were right to complain. The problem was due to a bad path in the crippled sources. My bad, all fixed now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.