USM update breaks it?

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
JosepZ
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0

USM update breaks it?

Post#1 by JosepZ » 21 Jul 2014, 19:49

Hi, all.

I've been a happy Porteus 3.0 user for around 2 months now. I'm currently using the LXDE version, but I've also tried the XFCE and RazorQT ones. I feel very comfortable with it and I've been able to create several modules for my personal use, all of which work just great.

My only problem came when I updated USM two days ago. It successfully upgraded to version 3.1.2. I was playing around with it when I found out that it doesn't resolve dependencies anymore, and yes, option is checked. Fortunately, I already have all the packages I need, both as slackbuilds and modules, but it's a bit annoying that something that worked perfectly suddenly breaks because of an update. I've tried 2 different USB devices in 3 machines, all with the same result.

Has anyone had the same problem? Could someone please try to reproduce the error?

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: USM update breaks it?

Post#2 by brokenman » 22 Jul 2014, 14:07

Will fix it today. You won't need to do anything other than update the database again. I will post here in a few hours when it is done.

Please run from a root terminal: usm -u all
Should be good now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

JosepZ
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by JosepZ » 23 Jul 2014, 17:16

Tried it, but doesn't seem to work the way it did. It works selectively now. Does't resolve dependencies for Gimp, Inkscape, Avidemux or Audacity, all of which had plenty in the previous USM version. It does find dependencies for VLC and Slapt-get, though.

It just occurred to me that maybe it only resolves dependencies for apps that are NOT installed/activated, in which case I am an absolute purebred idiot... If that's the case, please do tell me.

Thanks for your efforts again.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 23 Jul 2014, 18:00

It only resolves dependencies that are not present.

JosepZ
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by JosepZ » 23 Jul 2014, 18:47

Then please accept my apologies. I assumed it simply resolved dependencies from a database.

I understand that, if I ever, for some reason, wanted to download the packages required to create a new module for, say, GIMP, I'd have to deactivate my GIMP module before running USM, right?

As an informative side note, USM 3.1.1 failed to resolve all the dependencies needed to create a working Inkscape module. I had to download the lcms2-2.4-i486-1.txz package separately. Not a problem at all, since the terminal tells you why you can't run the program, but it might help.

Thanks for your patience.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 26 Jul 2014, 12:31

I understand that, if I ever, for some reason, wanted to download the packages required to create a new module for, say, GIMP, I'd have to deactivate my GIMP module before running USM, right?
That would make USM download only gimp since that is all you system need to run it. A better way would be to boot to always fresh mode and choose the option (in USM) to place all dependencies into a folder. Resolving dependencies that aren't required on your system (already installed) makes no sense since Porteus has many different desktops, with different requirements.
As an informative side note, USM 3.1.1 failed to resolve all the dependencies needed to create a working Inkscape module.
Update your USM to 3.2.1. If the problem persists let me know and I can manually add the missed dependency.

JosepZ
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by JosepZ » 29 Jul 2014, 12:59

Update your USM to 3.2.1. If the problem persists let me know and I can manually add the missed dependency.
It does indeed persist. Tried it in "Always Fresh" mode. Updated USM and all databases.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 29 Jul 2014, 13:47

I just tested in a very minimal environment and the first dependency found was lcms2. Which architecture are you using?

JosepZ
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by JosepZ » 05 Aug 2014, 06:57

Sorry about the delay.
I just tried it again. Architecture is i486 (I want maximum compatibility in my portable system). Ran Porteus in fresh mode, updated USM and then all the databases. Searched for Inkscape and chose the Salix repo. It found the following dependencies:

-aspell-0.60.6
-enchant-1.6.0
-fftw-3.3.3
-gc-7.2d
-gsl-1.16
-gtkspell-2.0.16
-hunspell-1.3.2
-ilmbase-1.0.3
-imagemagick-6.8.6
-inkscape-0.48.4
-jasper-1.900.1
-openexr-1.7.1

Same with the Ponce repo. The Slacky repo adds libwpd and libwpg to the list. I don't know if lcms2 is included in any of those, but when I built my module it refused to run the program because of this one lacking dependency. I downloaded it through USM and added it to my module. It worked flawlessly.

I've noticed that occasionally the system asks for dependencies that are already included in an activated module. I put all my modules in the /porteus/modules folder, so they are all activated when I start the system. Sometimes GIMP complained that it lacked gegl to start. Then I deactivated my GIMP module and activated it again and voilà, it started without any issues. Might this be a similar case?