USM bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: USM bug reports

Post#16 by brokenman » 12 May 2014, 12:09

Ed_P
After downloading the version posting above did you install it using: installpkg usm-latest-0.0-noarch.txz

Please do this is 'always fresh' mode so I can be certain that it is not your changes messing it up.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#17 by Ed_P » 12 May 2014, 14:51

brokenman wrote:Ed_P
After downloading the version posting above did you install it using: installpkg usm-latest-0.0-noarch.txz
To be perfectly honest I don't remember. I don't think I did. I think that after I restored my save.dat file that I did the USM Update normally and it ran ok.
Please do this is 'always fresh' mode so I can be certain that it is not your changes messing it up.
I understand, and did. In Always Fresh mode USM shows as version 3.1.0. In my extramods mode where I include my save.dat file as a module rather than a changes= file USM does run and shows as being version 3.1.1 so I got it updated.

I don't think I can run the .txz install in Always Fresh mode, how will I save what it installs? Will it update the ISO file?
Ed

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#18 by freestyler » 12 May 2014, 14:59

Installing it in always fresh will only install it until you turn off your computer. It is a good way to check if any of your changes files from your save.dat are conflicting.
Looks like you got it working anyway :)
https://www.porteus-apps.org

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by Ed_P » 12 May 2014, 16:02

freestyler wrote:Installing it in always fresh will only install it until you turn off your computer.t
Ok, good to know. Thanks freestyler.
Looks like you got it working anyway :)
But now it's not again, even with 3.1.1. I agree with roadie, I think it's tied to the use of the changes= cheatcode.. save.dat amount of free space issue? Image
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#20 by brokenman » 12 May 2014, 16:14

I don't think I can run the .txz install in Always Fresh mode, how will I save what it installs?
Yes you can run it. I wouldn't have asked if you couldn't. You won't save anything it installs, but that is the whole point. Just do it. If I give you instructions and you don't follow them then there is little more I can do.

Boot to fresh mode and install the slackware package that I have linked to in various threads. Update the database and see what happens. If it runs ok (which I am sure it will) then the problem can be attributed to your extramods, changes or scripts. Whatever it is we can tackle that after we ascertain that the problem is not within the application.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#21 by roadie » 12 May 2014, 16:56

I don't think I can run the .txz install in Always Fresh mode, how will I save what it installs? Will it update the ISO file?

You can do anything in Always Fresh that you can do in a regular boot except save stuff automatically. You can still save stuff manually. Otherwise, the world is your oyster even with Always Fresh. Booting in Always Fresh takes the evil, tiny savefiles out of the loop so if there is still a problem you know it's from the system and not the evil, tiny savefile.

You would really benefit from exploring your feminine side and READING some docs.....really Ed...it just ain't that hard.....just sayin.

But now it's not again, even with 3.1.1. I agree with roadie, I think it's tied to the use of the changes= cheatcode.. save.dat amount of free space issue?
We've already ascertained that a 256 MB is something of a joke if you really want to save stuff.....that was my point about savefiles and the ongoing problems with USM.....I think it may be tied to the evil, tiny savefiles.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#22 by Ed_P » 12 May 2014, 19:36

brokenman wrote:
I don't think I can run the .txz install in Always Fresh mode, how will I save what it installs?
Yes you can run it. I wouldn't have asked if you couldn't. You won't save anything it installs, but that is the whole point. Just do it. If I give you instructions and you don't follow them then there is little more I can do.
Hey, I'm still learning. :( I thought you thought that I had Porteus installed and forgot that I run it from an ISO.
Boot to fresh mode and install the slackware package that I have linked to in various threads. Update the database and see what happens. If it runs ok (which I am sure it will) then the problem can be attributed to your extramods, changes or scripts. Whatever it is we can tackle that after we ascertain that the problem is not within the application.
Ok, ok. I will.

Does the fact that USM 3.1.1 runs when it is accessed via extramods= and not from when it is run from changes= imply that the problem is not USM 3.1.1?

BTW FYI & FWIW Part of my Porteus boot menu:

Code: Select all

title Porteus 3.0  changes=      \n 213MB\n Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso 
find --set-root                       /ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0   /ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso (0xff) 
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz    from=/ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso changes=EXIT:/porteus/changes/porteussave.dat extramod=/mnt/sda5/porteus/modules volume=40 
initrd /boot/syslinux/initrd.xz

title Porteus 3.0  extramod=     \n 213MB\n Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso 
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0   /ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso (0xff) 
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz    from=/ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso extramod=/mnt/sda5/porteus/modules;/mnt/sda5/porteus/modsavedat volume=33

title Porteus 3.0  Always Fresh  \n 213MB\n Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso \n Use to debug problems and check space usage of porteus.dat file.
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz    from=/ISOs/Porteus-RazorQT-v3.0-x86_64.iso 
roadie wrote:You would really benefit from exploring your feminine side and READING some docs.....really Ed...it just ain't that hard.....just sayin.
We've already ascertained that a 256 MB is something of a joke if you really want to save stuff.....
But that's just it, I don't want to save stuff, at least not in Porteus. Downloads, ie modules, are saved in a folder outside of the Porteus save.dat file. I don't download music, videos, games, etc.
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#23 by Ed_P » 13 May 2014, 03:48

Always Fresh mode

guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# sh /mnt/sda5/porteus/Guest/update-usm.sh
/mnt/sda5/porteus/Guest/update-usm.sh: line 10: $'\r': command not found
Removing USM
Installing USM
/mnt/sda5/porteus/Guest/update-usm.sh: line 25: syntax error: unexpected end of file
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
update-usm.sh

#!/bin/bash
# # http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3040&p=24697#p24697
DATADIR=/usr/share
BINDIR=/usr/bin
SYSCONFDIR=/etc
MANDIR=/usr/man/man8
TARGET=usm
LATEST=usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz
PKG=http://sourceforge.net/projects/usm/files/$LATEST/download

echo "Removing USM"
rm -f ${BINDIR}/${TARGET}
rm -f ${BINDIR}/${TARGET}gui
rm -f ${BINDIR}/packagetools
rm -f ${DATADIR}/applications/${TARGET}.desktop
rm -f ${DATADIR}/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/usm*
rm -rf ${SYSCONFDIR}/${TARGET}
rm -rf ${DATADIR}/usm
rm -f /${MANDIR}/${TARGET}.8*
rm -rf /var/usm
echo "Installing USM"
wget --no-check-certificate --trust-server-names $PKG -P /tmp || { echo "No internet!!"; exit; }
installpkg /tmp/$LATEST 

Do not understand the error: line 10: $'\r': command not found
since according to Leafpad line 10 is a blank line.

Not sure about the error: line 25: syntax error: unexpected end of file
but adding an "exit" on the line should solve it.

Running CLI mode I get:

root@porteus:/home/guest# installpkg /mnt/sda5/porteus/Guest/Downloads/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz
Verifying package usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz.
Installing package usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz installed.

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -v

You are missing required database files! 
 Please run: usm -u all

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -s ruby

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -g ruby

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm --help
  Usage: usm <option> [argument] 

Single letter options also support entire words.
..etc..
clicking on the desktop USM icon opens a window saying Missing database files. Clicking on Help / About USM opens a window showing it is USM Version 3.1.1.

- update -

Being the persistent fool that I am I started over.

I recreated the update-usm,sh file. (cut & paste same as before)

update-usm.sh

#!/bin/bash
# http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3040&p=24697#p24697
DATADIR=/usr/share
BINDIR=/usr/bin
SYSCONFDIR=/etc
MANDIR=/usr/man/man8
TARGET=usm
LATEST=usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz
PKG=http://sourceforge.net/projects/usm/files/$LATEST/download

echo "Removing USM"
rm -f ${BINDIR}/${TARGET}
rm -f ${BINDIR}/${TARGET}gui
rm -f ${BINDIR}/packagetools
rm -f ${DATADIR}/applications/${TARGET}.desktop
rm -f ${DATADIR}/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/usm*
rm -rf ${SYSCONFDIR}/${TARGET}
rm -rf ${DATADIR}/usm
rm -f /${MANDIR}/${TARGET}.8*
rm -rf /var/usm
echo "Installing USM"
wget --no-check-certificate --trust-server-names $PKG -P /tmp || { echo "No internet!!"; exit; }
installpkg /tmp/$LATEST
And I reran it in Always Fresh mode

guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# sh /mnt/sda5/porteus/Guest/update-usm.sh
Removing USM
Installing USM
--2014-05-13 01:57:18--  http://sourceforge.net/projects/usm/files/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz/download
Resolving sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.60
Connecting to sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.60|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz?r=&ts=1399960638&use_mirror=iweb [following]
--2014-05-13 01:57:18--  http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz?r=&ts=1399960638&use_mirror=iweb
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.59|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz [following]
--2014-05-13 01:57:18--  http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz
Resolving iweb.dl.sourceforge.net (iweb.dl.sourceforge.net)... 70.38.0.134, 2607:f748:10:12::5f:2
Connecting to iweb.dl.sourceforge.net (iweb.dl.sourceforge.net)|70.38.0.134|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 52516 (51K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘/tmp/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz.1’

100%[====================================================================>] 52,516       235KB/s   in 0.2s   

2014-05-13 01:57:19 (235 KB/s) - ‘/tmp/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz.1’ saved [52516/52516]

Verifying package usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz.
Installing package usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz installed.

root@porteus:/home/guest# 
:unknown:

I'm going to bed.
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#24 by Ed_P » 13 May 2014, 14:52

I should also note to the previous posting I clicked on the USB icon and ran USM Update All successfully.

So today I booted to my changes=EXIT mode, ran the update-usm.sh script there, it ran successfully, I was then able to click on the USM icon, entered the root password and successfully run a Update All. :good:

I then shutdown and saved my changes and booted to Always Fresh mode, checked the space usage of my save.dat file and it was only 83% used, like before.

I rebooted to my changes=EXIT mode, clicked on the USM icon, enter the root password, then nothing. I then ran a usm command in CLI mode and got the same script errors that I had before. :wall:
Ed

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#25 by freestyler » 13 May 2014, 14:57

Maybe check if you have any usm files in your save.dat and delete them
https://www.porteus-apps.org

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#26 by brokenman » 13 May 2014, 16:32

Ed_P You didn't follow the instructions I gave you. Follow these instructions exactly as they appear. Do not add or remove any extra steps. Do not run any scripts or commands between steps.

1) Boot to fresh mode
2) Open a console
3) elevate to root (su)
4) Download usm-latest-0.0-noarch.txz (See wget line in your post about update-usm.sh)
5) Install usm-latest-0.0-noarch.txz
6) In root terminal run: usm -u all
7) In root terminal run: usm -v (check it is the right version 3.1.1)

Do this and only this and report back if it works ok.

Now test USM as you like. If you run 'update database' and save changes it will take up a large amount of space. This is because it just downloaded all the database files for 5 slackware repositories. These are stored in /var/usm. If you don't like this you can put them into a module and keep it outside of the save.dat file and just activate it when you want to run USM. This is what I do because I run exclusively in 'always fresh mode'.

This is how you remove hte database files into a module:

mkdir /tmp/db
cp -a --parents /var/usm/* /tmp/db
rm -rf /tmp/db/var/usm/local
dir2xzm /tmp/db /tmp/database-usm-20140513.xzm

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#27 by Ed_P » 13 May 2014, 19:01

freestyler wrote:Maybe check if you have any usm files in your save.dat and delete them
Yes. I think that would help or just running the updater-usm script before running USM's gui.
brokenman wrote:Ed_P You didn't follow the instructions I gave you. Follow these instructions exactly as they appear. Do not add or remove any extra steps. Do not run any scripts or commands between steps.
OK. But each of the things you are requesting got done.
1) Boot to fresh mode
Did that.
2) Open a console
Did that.
3) elevate to root (su)
Did that.
4) Download usm-latest-0.0-noarch.txz (See wget line in your post about update-usm.sh)
Did that. With the command in your script.
5) Install usm-latest-0.0-noarch.txz
Did that. With the command in your script, which I didn't know how to do without it.
6) In root terminal run: usm -u all
Did that. But used the USM icon to do it. Same effect.
7) In root terminal run: usm -v (check it is the right version 3.1.1)
Did that. But used the USM icon to do it. And it is 3.1.1.
Do this and only this and report back if it works ok.
Ok. Will do.
Now test USM as you like. If you run 'update database' and save changes it will take up a large amount of space. This is because it just downloaded all the database files for 5 slackware repositories. These are stored in /var/usm.
Yes, I know this. The folder and it's size are shown in my terminal display that I posted.

127M   /mnt/loop/var/usm
And IMO the USM update should just replace most of what's already there but it's acting like its trying to re-add the same amount again.
If you don't like this you can put them into a module and keep it outside of the save.dat file and just activate it when you want to run USM. This is what I do because I run exclusively in 'always fresh mode'.
An interesting option. Maybe add it to USM as an option.
This is how you remove hte database files into a module:

mkdir /tmp/db
cp -a --parents /var/usm/* /tmp/db
rm -rf /tmp/db/var/usm/local
dir2xzm /tmp/db /tmp/database-usm-20140513.xzm
Cool!! Thanks. :beer:
Last edited by Ed_P on 13 May 2014, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#28 by brokenman » 13 May 2014, 19:30

Excellent. I didn't include the command to delete the files after adding them into your module.

find /var/usm -type f | xargs rm

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#29 by Ed_P » 13 May 2014, 19:51

Haven't done the Always Fresh boot yet but a quick question. Why work on a copy of the /var/usm folder rather than executing the dir2xzm command directly on the /var/usm folder?

BTW I hate the Always Fresh mode. Cursor jumps all over the place, no bookmarks, no network, etc. etc.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#30 by brokenman » 13 May 2014, 23:53

Why work on a copy of the /var/usm folder rather than executing the dir2xzm command directly on the /var/usm folder?
Because you need the folder structure in the resulting module to be: /var/usm/{slacky,slackware,salix}

Running dir2xzm /var/usm will just put the files that are located in this directory into the root of a compressed module. You will end up with a module containing the folders (slacky,slackware,salix).
There are other ways with other commands (mksquashfs) but I don't want to get all complicated.