Switching user

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Switching user

Post#1 by ralcocer » 07 Oct 2013, 19:03

I tried switching users in Mate and as root it is so slow bringing in the Desktop that it's painful, then I tried to log out again and the screensaver logout screen came out, I like the Desktop but I usually run as Root :wall: . I have tried all the Porteus Desktops but this one is not going to beat me :evil: .

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Switching user

Post#2 by brokenman » 08 Oct 2013, 12:55

Do you have the same 'slowness' when booting with the login=root cheatcode? I am guessing there is a holdup during the creation of initial cache files. I jst tested and after logging out from guest ... logging in to root was almost instantaneous. Less than 2 seconds.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by ralcocer » 08 Oct 2013, 19:15

I downloaded the Mate desktop again and I got it working , however trying to update the Mate desktop as root it gave me an error that was not able to download the upgrade. as guest too.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#4 by ralcocer » 08 Oct 2013, 20:39

How do I edit a .desktop, they will not give me the option to open a text editor

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2013, 01:39

As root: leafpad /usr/share/applications/myfile.desktop

You can add a Caja right click action to allow opening .desktop files with a text editor using 'Caja actions'.
however trying to update the Mate desktop
How are you trying to update. Please state your exact steps so i can reproduce.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai

Post#6 by ralcocer » 09 Oct 2013, 13:29

I am trying to make my 3D Printer modules work with Mate, I find that everything seems to work faster with it. So I might be using other things not usually used, I found that when switching user it will not work unless you press the logout button twice, most of the 3D programs need to have root access so switching users is a plus I don't have with LXDE and it might work for my purpose, also I like to use the Chrome Browser because all my bookmarks and plugins are saved in my Google account so no matter where I am by just opening my account in Chrome everything is there.

Also the update option gives me an error and is unable do download , it also does not ask me where the modules directory is (I am using a CDROM), if it works the same as in LXDE, so I guess it just doesn't know where to put it.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2013, 21:14

it also does not ask me where the modules directory is (I am using a CDROM)
In this case you aren't able to update because the device is not writable. I'll check the code because it should save the updates to the /tmp folder and tell you to take care of putting them somewhere. Please download them manually from here (for 64bit): http://dl3.porteus.org/x86_64/testing/updates/

I'm not sure of your booting method but you will need to keep the updates in a folder somewhere and boot with the extramod=/path/to/my/updates cheatcode. Otherwise you will need to burn a new CD with the updates.

Thanks for reporting this potential bug.
Last edited by fanthom on 09 Oct 2013, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced 'load=' with 'extramod=' cheatcode which is correct one