rc2 printing module not functional for scanning with xsane

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

rc2 printing module not functional for scanning with xsane

Post#1 by francois » 25 Jul 2013, 03:01

Porteus v 2.1 rc2 printing module is not functional for scanning with xsane for my brother MFC 7860DW multifunction printer. There is a similar problem under 64 bit.

The same printer will work under crunchbang.

My hypothesis is that something is wrong with xsane. I followed the procedure to install the scanner both usb mode and network mode as described in:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1336

Once the scanner driver is installed whether usb or network, xsane interface will come up and ask to choose for usb or network scanning. Then the scanner will begin its operation and within a fraction of a second xsane interface will dissapear.

Notheworthy, scanning will work fine with simple scan, under the same conditions.

Are you experiencing problems with xsane on other printer models whether brother or other brands?
Do you have some solution to propose?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: rc2 printing module not functional for scanning with xsa

Post#2 by Ahau » 25 Jul 2013, 14:35

I just tested here with an hp multifunction device over usb (I don't have network access with this one) and both xsane and simple-scan functioned as expected. Are you starting xsane from a terminal? If not, please try that and let me know if you get any kind of error message when it shuts down. That sounds like it might be a segfault. I'll test it on my canon MFD over wifi later tonight, but that's the only other scanner I have access to. Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by francois » 25 Jul 2013, 23:32

Always fresh, 64 bit tested for xsane, started in cli mode:

1.0 network:
I get no message at all.

2.0 usb:
I get failed to start scanner: invalid argument (in a window box)

In addition simple scan will not work under 64 bit. Whereas as I said it worked under the 32 bit option

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 27 Jul 2013, 02:51

Ahau wrote:I just tested here with an hp multifunction device over usb (I don't have network access with this one) and both xsane and simple-scan functioned as expected. Are you starting xsane from a terminal? If not, please try that and let me know if you get any kind of error message when it shuts down. That sounds like it might be a segfault. I'll test it on my canon MFD over wifi later tonight, but that's the only other scanner I have access to. Thanks!
Additional testing on the 32bit for xsane:
You got it :) :

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# xsane
Segmentation fault
root@porteus:~#