Porteus x64 Skype not working

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
eugene28
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus

Porteus x64 Skype not working

Post#1 by eugene28 » 10 Apr 2013, 14:33

Installed Porteus x64 on a 16gb flash drive. Got it booted. Created a virtual porteussave.dat file. Started download manager. Download and activated skype, which did not run, giving me some errors in terminal. Also downlaoded and activated wicd kde edition network managed. Removed standart managers widget from the bottom panel. And could not get Wicd to work either. It says daemon not started. When I choose interfaces for lan and wlan click save. It does not save either. What I'm doing wrong?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus x64 Skype not working

Post#2 by brokenman » 10 Apr 2013, 14:52

I moved this thread into the relevant area.
which did not run, giving me some errors in terminal.
The exact errors would be helpful.
It says daemon not started.
You need to start the daemon.

Code: Select all

chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd
/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd start
Is there a problem with the built in networkmanager? I wouldn't run both of these congruently. You will need to remove networkmanager (or at least stop ti from starting during boot) perhaps by putting in your boot line: chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager

Also please remember you will need add the changes= line to your porteus.cfg (see info file in boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt) in order for your changes to be activated upon next boot.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

eugene28
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by eugene28 » 10 Apr 2013, 15:13

Thanks for the speedy reply. I will have a look to my x64 installation again. Just downloaded and started Razor x86 edition. Downloaded and activated Skype and... It did not boot either. Here error:
Fatal: QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice
Aborted

eugene28
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by eugene28 » 10 Apr 2013, 15:33

Well nothing wrong with in-built network manager. Anyway. I have downloaded WICD kde edition. When I tried command to start daemon it gave me
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd
chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd’: No such file or directory
Do I need to install wicd-1.7.2.4 too?
Here is what Skype gives me
/usr/bin/skype: line 19: 4180 Aborted LD_PRELOAD=/usr/share/skype/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so GCONV_PATH=/usr/share/skype/lib32/gconv QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/share/skype/lib32/plugins /usr/share/skype/lib32/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/share/skype/lib32/ /usr/share/skype/skype

I'm actually a newbie in Linux, but just did not expect it to be so hard even with package managers.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 10 Apr 2013, 15:57

That's due to prelink. You must uninstall Skype and remove every changes made by it, install prelink and blacklist skype from prelink and after install Skype.

That fix seems to be not fully compatible with AUFS but I didn't find a better one.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#6 by fanthom » 10 Apr 2013, 17:59

@eugene28
Do I need to install wicd-1.7.2.4 too?
yes.
you will also have to start it through /etc/rc.d/rc.local as network manager is our primary network service and support for wicd has been removed from the startup scripts.
please add this line to rc.local:

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd start
and reboot porteus.

btw: PPM index has been updated to pull wicd by default when wicd-kde has been choosen.
Here is what Skype gives me
this bug should be fixed now. please download skype module once again (delete old one if necessary).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

eugene28
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by eugene28 » 12 Apr 2013, 12:17

Just to confirm Skype is working now.

mcewanw
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Puppy Linux

Post#8 by mcewanw » 14 Apr 2013, 22:10

eugene28 wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply. I will have a look to my x64 installation again. Just downloaded and started Razor x86 edition. Downloaded and activated Skype and... It did not boot either. Here error:
Aborted
I'm getting the same console error message trying to install Skype-4.0.0.8 from the package manager of Porteus Razor QT 32bit. Is there a b ug in the provided skype module or something else I need to do? I'd also be grateful for brief technical details of how any fix is implemented, without having to also google search the fault, since I like to contribute as well as maintain my own system as best I can.

EDIT: I noted the comment about using prelink (which seems less a fix than a workaround), and adding -b /usr/bin/skype to /etc/prelink.conf, but I can't find the program prelink using package manager. Where can I find prelink?

I also tried: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 skype

following a recommendation from comment 31 at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1002187
but that didn't work for me.

eugene28
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by eugene28 » 15 Apr 2013, 14:10

Just download and activate skype_static-4.1.0.20-x86_64-3sl

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#10 by fanthom » 15 Apr 2013, 15:53

will fix this bug in 32bit repo as well.

what i have discovered is that slacky guys modify skype binary (maybe due to prelink?) and it has different md5sum than original one from skype website.
following cttan's solution from: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 785#p10785
i'm just repacking the module with original 'skype' executable which seems to work.

EDIT:\\
correction - seems that it's our fault and not slacky guys. before creating module, all binaries/libs are stripped from debugging symbols to make them smaller. seems that this action is damaging skype binary somehow (never seen any other application affected).

issue should be fixed in in 32bit repo in 30 mins.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

mcewanw
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Puppy Linux

Post#11 by mcewanw » 16 Apr 2013, 04:10

Downloaded the updated Skype module for 32bit Porteus. Working fine now, thanks. I'm going to try Porteus on another of my computers now. Very nicely organised distribution. Keep up the good work!