Porteus-v2.0-i486 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
rg66
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 Xfce

Re: Porteus-v2.0-i486 bug reports

Post#16 by rg66 » 21 Feb 2013, 21:02

Nice job on the Xfce version. This is not really a bug but in Xfce Mount drives, Porteus Settings Centre, and Porteus System Info are not executing from the app menu. The .desktop files needed to be edited for them to work properly.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#17 by Hamza » 21 Feb 2013, 21:11

Which changes must be made in order to make them "working"?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

rg66
White ninja
White ninja

Post#18 by rg66 » 21 Feb 2013, 21:25

For Mount drive change Exec=/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu "/opt/porteus-scripts/mount-manager" to Exec=/opt/porteus-scripts/mount-manager

For Porteus Settings Centre change Exec=/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu "/opt/porteus-scripts/porteus-settings-centre" to Exec=/opt/porteus-scripts/porteus-settings-centre

For Porteus System Info change Exec=ktsuss xpsinfo to Exec=xpsinfo

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#19 by Hamza » 21 Feb 2013, 22:27

Do you use something like VNC?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#20 by Ahau » 21 Feb 2013, 22:44

@hamza, I chatted with rg66 on mchat, he's not running vnc, but something else is messing up the way the code in /opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu is parsing to check the current desktop. Now that we're no longer using trinity, I think we should remove psu and just stick with 'kstuss' in all .desktop files for gtk tools. Brokenman, what do you think?

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rg66
White ninja
White ninja

Post#21 by rg66 » 22 Feb 2013, 05:49

I have found some more issue with v2.0 Xfce, there are some missing scripts from /opt/porteus-scripts/xfce. So far I've found create-module, extract-module, mount and unmount-module to be missing. Also the custom action commands path is /opt/porteus-scripts/fmanager which doesn't exist and v1.2 path is /opt/porteus-scripts/xfce. Can anyone else confirm this?

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#22 by Ahau » 22 Feb 2013, 06:34

Thanks again, rg66!

These scripts were moved into /opt/porteus-scripts/fmanager in 64-bit (inside 002-xorg.xzm) so they could be utilized by kde/lxde, so I dropped them out of my xfce module. However, they weren't added to 32-bit and I missed it! My apologies on this one!

Please download and activate this module:

http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... 2-2013.xzm

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#23 by Hamza » 22 Feb 2013, 08:51

@rg66,

Is there a possibility for us to reproduce your bug? Does this bug happen in Always Fresh with base modules only and no rootcopy?

@Ahau, I understand. We will try to find out the origin of this bug :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

rg66
White ninja
White ninja

Post#24 by rg66 » 22 Feb 2013, 14:45

@Hamza

I've tried a few different way and always the same. Always fresh or savefile doesn't make a difference. The only thing I've appended is login= and changes=. I'm running a frugal install of 32 bit if that matters but also have about 8 puppies in frugal as well with grub4dos, maybe that has something to do with it or my Nvidia card which caused some issues on Archpup. It's Fri eve so am off for a few pints, will try in the morning with a new comp in always fresh and see what happens.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#25 by Hamza » 22 Feb 2013, 17:00

Sorry but I can't reproduce this bug. All your mentioned applications are running at the 1st time on a fresh downloaded ISO. It seems you're running another desktop which may alter our psu script that handle administrator elevation at run of these applications. A xpsinfo report would be great.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

rg66
White ninja
White ninja

Post#26 by rg66 » 23 Feb 2013, 07:28

I'm running from a USB install at the moment on the same comp and the apps are opening from the app menu. So, it must be something with my frugal install. I'm still going to try a frugal on another fresh comp (no other OS) an see what happens but I expect all will be ok. Thanks to everyone for the help.

As you requested, a full dump report is here http://pastebin.ca/2316798

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#27 by Rava » 23 Feb 2013, 18:20

@Ahau
Since my 2.0 on that Samsung crashed when trying to umount my external USB HD giving me the core dump screen O___o I cannot give you infos if some XFCe daemons was not running...

But I activate the 32-bit-xfce-right-click-fix-21-02-2013.xzm and see what will change...

Just one ziny issue, did the folder layout change somehow?
Using the same viewnior module, the program icon is broken, that was fine with Port1.2, so me thinks somehow the used-by-XFCe path to the icons got changed...

Another issue: when trying to umount a external disk, Porteus first gave me the window with listed one app that used a file on that disk - it was mplayer.

I stopped mplayer, and with Porteus 1.2 then the device got umounted after a second by itself, but with 2.0 XFCe it stayed mounted, when trying to umount it again it again gave me the window with the list of programs that still used the device, now this time the list was empty.

Is all that fixed with the 32-bit-xfce-right-click-fix-21-02-2013.xzm Update?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

XFCe Porteus keyboard layouts reset

Post#28 by Rava » 23 Feb 2013, 19:46

And finally about my USB keyboard issue, the wanting DE,nodeadkeys as default and GB as variant... (As default behaviour, XFCe removes all settings and has the US keyboard as only default, done via some stuff done by X, as it seems.) The posts about this issue with 1.2 can be found here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 660#p10660

It is about what command should be given to the XFCe settings manager / removable Drives and Media / TABulator Input devices / Section keyboard

Code: Select all

man setxkbmap
       -layout name
               Specifies  the  name of the layout used to determine the compo‐
               nents which make  up  the  keyboard  description.  The  -layout
               option may only be used once. Multiple layouts can be specified
               as a comma-separated list.
"Multiple layouts can be specified as a comma-separated list."... but how to combine that with the variant parameter? :(

setxkbmap -layout gb,de -variant nodeadkeys
This one works, but sets the GB variant as the default/running one, and I want that to be the DE variant... which needs the parameter "nodeadkeys"...
The above sets the UK/GB keyboard as default and as the first in the list of the "Keyboards Layout" window from XFCe, the one you get when you right-click the flag of the keyboard layout.

While this

setxkbmap -layout de,gb -variant nodeadkeys,
sets the DE keyboard as the first on the list of "Keyboards Layout" , but still puts the GB variant as default. O___o strange... Any ideas?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#29 by Ahau » 23 Feb 2013, 20:03

@Rava,

Viewnoir icon is working fine for me in 64-bit, will try 32-bit later.

Are you still booting into text mode and running startx or startxfce to start xfce? If so, I'll test with that method to make sure I'm reproducing the same environment.

You might have some kind of broken xfce cache, if you are booting with saved changes, please try booting without them and checking these issues again.

Not sure what's going on with devices not unmounting -- this might be something to do with the migration to udisks2. When this happens again, please run:

lsof /dev/sdXY
where sdXY is your device that you want to umount. That should show you the offending process.

Those things shouldn't be changed by the right-click update -- all that update does is fix the right click actions in thunar (convert txz's mount modules, etc).

RE: setxkbmap, try this command:

setxkbmap -layout gb,de -variant ,nodeadkeys
note the comma before nodeadkeys. that tells setxkbmap to leave the first layout without a variant and set the second one with nodeadkeys.

I'm aware that language selection tool isn't getting the kmap layout for the switcher quite right -- haven't gotten a fix for that one yet, sorry :(

EDIT: I just reread the last part of your post (setting gb,de -variant nodeadkeys,). I don't see why that isn't working for you. looking at this again...

what does 'setxkbmap -query' show?

I get:

root@porteus:/var/slackyd# setxkbmap -layout de,gb -variant nodeadkeys,
root@porteus:/var/slackyd# setxkbmap -query
rules:      evdev
model:      evdev
layout:     de,gb
variant:    nodeadkeys,
root@porteus:/var/slackyd# 
which appears to be what you want

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#30 by Rava » 24 Feb 2013, 08:01

Ahau wrote:Viewnoir icon is working fine for me in 64-bit, will try 32-bit later.

Are you still booting into text mode and running startx or startxfce to start xfce? If so, I'll test with that method to make sure I'm reproducing the same environment.

You might have some kind of broken xfce cache, if you are booting with saved changes, please try booting without them and checking these issues again.
I always run the system without saving changes, but I save some selected stuff into /rootcopy...
So, maybe one of these setting files is the culprit, but which one... :P

Which viewnior module do you use? Is V0.6 the most current still?

And about the keyboard settings... I left like it was, and now unplugging and plugging in the USB keyboard results in the DE layout to be the default... *shrug* PCs and their weird behaviour...
Cheers!
Yours Rava