[SOLVED] Bad home folder in Porteus-2.0 RC1

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

[SOLVED] Bad home folder in Porteus-2.0 RC1

Post#1 by Hamza » 31 Dec 2012, 15:39

Hi,

When I would like to boot Porteus with root privileges using cheat "login=", I have some surprises. After set the cheat to boot with root account, I am getting an login screen instead of "logged in" desktop. So, I type the root details and get logged in successfully, after I open a terminal and i check if i'm with root account, I am. When I open the filemanager by simple clicking on Home icon present on Desktop, I get /home/guest instead of /root.

HOW TO REPRODUCE
  1. Boot into Always Fresh Mode + cheat

Code: Select all

login=root
  2. Checks if you are automatically logged in, otherwise type root details which are root/toor in vanilla ISO
  3. Open a terminal and checks if the current user is the same as the one reported with command whoami
  4. Open a filemanager by clicking on Home icon present on desktop and checks if you go automatically on /root instead /home/guest
Thanks
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Bad home folder in Porteus-2.0 RC1

Post#2 by brokenman » 31 Dec 2012, 17:57

Both of these have been addressed in another thread. The home folder is a mistake (fixed for next update) and the login=root is insecure and gdm will not allow it. I will try to work around this for next version but no promises. In the end the login=root cheat still works ... you just have to type you password to get to the root desktop.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: [SOLVED] Bad home folder in Porteus-2.0 RC1

Post#3 by Hamza » 31 Dec 2012, 18:04

Seems to be already reported to devs and on the road of resolution (if possible).
NjVFQzY2Rg==