Question on font rendering

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Question on font rendering

Post#1 by sci_fi » 10 Jan 2011, 12:27

Greetings,

I am thoroughly enjoying the porteus distribution. May it live long and prosper.

My question:

I have observed a noticeable difference in display font rendering from remix-v08 to remix-v09 to porteous. I have changed nothing in my setup except moving from one iso to the next, so the change must be in the iso itself. I much prefer the rendering as done in remix-08 and am wondering how I might restore it.

Someone earlier (before the threads were deleted from the slax forum) suggested some cli commands which seemed directed to changing the default screen dpi. These had some effect but did not truly solve the problem. (My apologies I cannot remember the commands and the thread is no longer available.). My monitor is 1650 x 1050 dpi.

Any advice or comment will be most appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

sci_fi

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Question on font rendering

Post#2 by brokenman » 10 Jan 2011, 19:39

Thank you. I don't believe anything has changed on the font rendering side of things.

xrandr --dpi 96 or 120
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#3 by wread » 16 Jan 2011, 11:50

check your md5 sums; possibly your download is corrupted.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Burninbush
Power user
Power user

Post#4 by Burninbush » 25 Jan 2011, 01:50

Re fonts display ... this is an important issue for me, too. Over the times I have discovered where a few of the setups are that make a big difference here.

KDE Control Center, Appearance, Fonts: force fonts dpi = disabled, anti-aliasing = enabled, and under Configure set Hinting style = slight. This last setting makes a BIG difference here.

And it should go without saying -- always run at the 'native' resolution of your lcd screen. There is no way that [for example] a 1024x768 setup can look good on a 1680x1050 lcd -- much of every character will be smeared across multiple pixels. If you need bigger fonts use KDE Control Center to set them big enough to see. So ... get the max resolution set first, then adjust size of fonts.

In Firefox preferences under Content, there is a box you can un-check to disallow sites from specifying their own fonts, which forces the use of the font you choose.

DejaVu Serif and Sans are about the only linux fonts I can look at without feeling nostalgic for windows XP.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 25 Jan 2011, 03:31

and under Configure set Hinting style = slight
Very useful. Thank you for enlightening us.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by sci_fi » 25 Jan 2011, 11:51

Thank you, Burninbush. Most helpful, indeed. I have been playing around with other fonts (primarily Trebuchet MS) with some decent results, but your advice has gotten DejaVu Sans working as I like it in Firefox. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

sci_fi