Can't see network shares (gvfs error)

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Can't see network shares (gvfs error)

Post#1 by slaxlover » 24 Aug 2012, 09:34

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Can't see network shares (gvfs error)

Post#2 by brokenman » 24 Aug 2012, 13:31

Are you running this command as root?
.gvfs is created with with read and execute rights for guest only. (dr-x------)

Please try manually in console and see if you get a fail:

Code: Select all

dbus-send --session --dest=org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor --type=method_call --print-reply /org/gtk/Private/RemoteVolumeMonitor org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.IsSupported
If that fails then run:

/usr/libexec/gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
I suspect a corrupt or missing lib.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by slaxlover » 28 Aug 2012, 04:01

brokenman wrote:Are you running this command as root?

I suspect a corrupt or missing lib.
Yes, root is used to run gvfs. I converted gvfs-backends library from deb-package and maybe something went wrong?
Result of advised commands:

libgdu.so.0 is missing I guess :)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 28 Aug 2012, 05:08

Are you using the standard (tde+lxde) or Xfce edition? Xfce has a working gvfs mounting tool chain with libgdu; standard edition does not. This is because Thunar (in Xfce) uses gvfs to automount drives, but pcmanfm does not (lxde only uses gvfs for trash).

Libgdu is a part of the 'gnome-disk-utility' package, which will pull in other dependencies as well. I suggest adding it through ppm to make sure you get them all (if it pulls in a ton of deps I can help with some custom-compiled packages with fewer gnome deps). I'll take a look when I have some time to see what is inside the debian gvfs-backends package; debian often splits up packages that slackware keeps together.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by slaxlover » 28 Aug 2012, 05:54

Ahau wrote:Are you using the standard (tde+lxde) or Xfce edition? Xfce has a working gvfs mounting tool chain with libgdu; standard edition does not. This is because Thunar (in Xfce) uses gvfs to automount drives, but pcmanfm does not (lxde only uses gvfs for trash).

Libgdu is a part of the 'gnome-disk-utility' package, which will pull in other dependencies as well. I suggest adding it through ppm to make sure you get them all (if it pulls in a ton of deps I can help with some custom-compiled packages with fewer gnome deps). I'll take a look when I have some time to see what is inside the debian gvfs-backends package; debian often splits up packages that slackware keeps together.

I'm using lxde edition (cutted kiosk distribution made by Jay) with pcmanfm. Hm, I thought that pcmanfm uses gvfs for automount.
So, I don't need gvfs dependencies to activate samba?

Now I need libgvfsdaemon.so / libkrb5support.so.0 / libkeyutils.so.1 for gvfsd-smb :) Maybe better to use fusesmb?

Hope you guys can help me with automounting samba shares in pcmanfm :beer:

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#6 by Ahau » 28 Aug 2012, 14:21

Pcmanfm doesn't use gvfs for automounting local drives, but I did some more reading, and it does look like it uses gvfs for automounting samba shares (I don't use samba so I apologize if I've given any misleading information).

Gvfs was compiled for Porteus without Samba support -- I'm looking into this now to see if I can get it to compile in. The debian 'gvfs-backends' package may or may not bring in everything from gvfs that is needed to use the samba backend, I think it will be better if we can get this compiled natively, but keep working your path as well.

Posted after 52 minutes 38 seconds:
Ok, samba support wasn't compiled in because porteus includes a stripped-down samba package, and apparently the headers (at least) were removed from the package, so the gvfs configure script couldn't find the needed libraries. I've added the full samba package on my end and recompiled gvfs, you can download the txz here:

http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... -1Ahau.txz

This will still require gnome disk utility, here's my version (which shouldn't bring in too many deps -- I don't have time to track them all between xfce edition and kiosk edition at this point, please let me know if you need more packages):

http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... -1Ahau.txz

Try those (remove the debian gvfs-backends package first), add any missing dependencies, and let us know if this helps...

slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by slaxlover » 29 Aug 2012, 04:40

Ahau wrote:
Try those (remove the debian gvfs-backends package first), add any missing dependencies, and let us know if this helps...
Thanks for your help :) Added missing dependencies (avahi libs including avahi-daemon) for gnome disk utility, if I try to connect gvfs-mount smb://share_name nothing happens. And now disappeared mounted disks icons from pcmanfm sidebar.
And no gvfs folder in /usr/lib .

So, it didn't help me with smb.

This is what I get while converting txz to xzm:
ImageClick for large view

Also tried fusesmb - all installs fine, but no shares displayed.

Help needed so much

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#8 by Hamza » 29 Aug 2012, 12:45

gvfs-mount smb://share_name

gvfs-mount smb://IP_Address/share_name
NjVFQzY2Rg==

slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by slaxlover » 29 Aug 2012, 15:33

Hamza wrote:
gvfs-mount smb://share_name

gvfs-mount smb://IP_Address/share_name
Of course tried with ip. While ping is successful samba is not.
Tried smbnetfs with all dependencies and result was the same - no shares appeared in mounting folder. Maybe someone can post his working solution for lxde porteus with pcmanfm?

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#10 by Hamza » 29 Aug 2012, 16:18

Does your samba share works with another operating system or linux distro ? Is there a firewall on your router that blocks some ports by routing them to null ? What's running on your "samba server" ?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#11 by Ahau » 29 Aug 2012, 23:19

slaxlover,

I'm not sure why the icons disappear, but perhaps it's because you reinstalled gvfs and/or gdu while the system was running? If you haven't already, try putting the gvfs and gdu modules in /porteus/modules so they are injected at boot up. I don't have a samba share to test with, but was able to automount a usb drive in pcmanfm and thunar with those versions of gvfs and gdu. You can ignore the message that installpkg -root throws for gvfs, it is trying to run a command that exists in your filesystem but not inside the chroot environment that is created for the package installation. This script gets run on every boot up. Also, you are correct that there is no /usr/lib/gvfs in my package; slackbuilds place those files in /usr/lib/libexec/ instead; you can compare the file list from the debian backends package with /var/log/packages/gvfs-1.8.2-i486-1Ahau. Not all of the backends are there (as I only added samba to the existing config), but the samba ones are present.

Aside from that, I'm not sure where to go, my experience with samba is too limited, I'm afraid :(

slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by slaxlover » 30 Aug 2012, 03:34

Hamza wrote:Does your samba share works with another operating system or linux distro ? Is there a firewall on your router that blocks some ports by routing them to null ? What's running on your "samba server" ?
MacOs and Ubuntu in VirtualBox can work with shared samba resources. But bootable porteus flash drive with a help of plop boot can't see shares in VMWare.

Posted after 6 minutes 31 second:
Ahau wrote:slaxlover,

I'm not sure why the icons disappear, but perhaps it's because you reinstalled gvfs and/or gdu while the system was running? If you haven't already, try putting the gvfs and gdu modules in /porteus/modules so they are injected at boot up. I don't have a samba share to test with, but was able to automount a usb drive in pcmanfm and thunar with those versions of gvfs and gdu. You can ignore the message that installpkg -root throws for gvfs, it is trying to run a command that exists in your filesystem but not inside the chroot environment that is created for the package installation. This script gets run on every boot up. Also, you are correct that there is no /usr/lib/gvfs in my package; slackbuilds place those files in /usr/lib/libexec/ instead; you can compare the file list from the debian backends package with /var/log/packages/gvfs-1.8.2-i486-1Ahau. Not all of the backends are there (as I only added samba to the existing config), but the samba ones are present.

Aside from that, I'm not sure where to go, my experience with samba is too limited, I'm afraid :(
Thanks for your help :friends: I put modules only when system stopped to avoid unexpected system behavior. And I guess icons disappered because of gvfs because with smbnetfs all is ok.
Maybe brokenman can help or…..maybe community members.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#13 by brokenman » 01 Sep 2012, 15:34

Sorry, at the moment the kiosk edition is not supported. We have decided to release a simple module with Porteus that will allow users to create a custom kiosk. This means you just choose a menu item from the standard porteus, and your custom kiosk will be generated ready to burn on a CD. This was another great idea from the mind of fanthom. When it is ready i will give you notice so you can test it.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

slaxlover
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by slaxlover » 04 Sep 2012, 04:21

brokenman wrote:Sorry, at the moment the kiosk edition is not supported. We have decided to release a simple module with Porteus that will allow users to create a custom kiosk. This means you just choose a menu item from the standard porteus, and your custom kiosk will be generated ready to burn on a CD. This was another great idea from the mind of fanthom. When it is ready i will give you notice so you can test it.
Thanks for a chance to test, will wait for a new module :)