[Solved]Porteus 1.2-RC1 does not support gzip compressed XZM

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Abhishek
White ninja
White ninja

[Solved]Porteus 1.2-RC1 does not support gzip compressed XZM

Post#1 by Abhishek » 13 Mar 2012, 21:02

Hi Everyone,

I have recently tested Porteus 1.2 RC1 version and found out that it is no more able to read xzm modules that was re-compressed with gzip compression. It shows a message that the module is corrupted.
What I did was first extract the xz compressed module into a folder and then create a module out of that folder using the command:

Code: Select all

mksquashfs -comp gzip ...
I used to do this for earlier versions of Porteus (1.0 & 1.1) and it had worked perfectly fine but now those modules cannot be activated in 1.2 version.
The reason I recompress the modules is that although gzip modules are little bigger in size but they give better performance than xz compressed modules. The speed difference is significant in low-end PCs. So, I feel that the gzip restriction should be taken off as in the earlier versions.
Last edited by Abhishek on 11 Jul 2012, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus 1.2-RC1 does not support gzip compressed XZM mod

Post#2 by brokenman » 14 Mar 2012, 02:56

Thanks for the report. While i havn't done any serious testing with compression ratios .... i believe the xz compression to be superior. The more passes made during compression, the faster it will decompress. Using the latest Porteus Module Manager, you should be able to choose you compression.

I will have a look at adding the gzip support. Never thought about it really.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 15 Mar 2012, 19:32

I ran across an interesting case this morning. I have written "slackbuilds" for a number of fonts, to automate the creation of txz packages (nothing is actually compiled, the script just extracts the tarball, zip or other archive and puts the files in the right directories). I then converted the txz packages into xzm modules and found that the xzm modules were actually larger than the txz's -- in one instance, nearly twice the size! I'm not really sure why this is the case, but I do wonder if a different compression algorithm would keep the size down for some packages.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Abhishek
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Abhishek » 11 Jul 2012, 21:32

This issue has been fixed in v1.2 Final. The gzip modules are working fine.