forum.porteus.org - forced logout, token outdated and unable to log-out

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 06 Sep 2023, 08:22

More than once a day this happens.
I am logged in and ticked the

Code: Select all

[X] Remember me during login.
When I try posting I get a loop of this
and when I reload my tab of "Your posts" I get this instead:
The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view your own posts. and of course I am logged out at that point of time.

At the beginning it did help to delete all cookies from porteus.org - but now not even that helps. At times I have deleted the cookies more than once and logged in repeatedly always using [X] Remember me during login - to just post one single post.

I already wrote an email to one of the admins (Blaze) and he told me that it's not about my internet access using VPN and changing IP addresses but an issue with the forum.porteus.org server to be overloaded. And all I can do is deleting the cookies and log in anew.
(I cannot quote him verbatim as I would have to ask for his permission doing so prior posting his words)

Is there a light of the end of the tunnel for this issue since it gotten much worse as of today, and it is quite frustrating to have to spend more than 3 times the needed time to post a short reply that should have taken less than a minute when the forum would not misbehave like it did.

And it gets really absurd when I cannot log out - and also cannot post. Only deleting the cookies helps with that since then I am forcing a logout from my side of things.

Added in 15 hours 10 minutes :
Like yesterday, I wanted to make this post I built PorteuX (Post by Rava #95552) and this one: New Working Modules and Custom Porteus ISOs (Post by Rava #95551)
I tried over and over again, deleted cookies, logged in anew, tried again, same error as described above, deleted cookies
logged in anew, tried again, same error as described above, rinse and repeat. I tried approx for 30 minutes to no avail.

Then I saved the posts with all their bbcode as local text file and moved on with my life, to return some hours later, only then I was able to make the posts.

And then again the very same At the mountains of cycle of madness trying to post this update (and some other posts) :wall:
Either the endless "The forum token was outdated and has been updated. Submitting form again…"
Or "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."
Same with the attempt to delete the now very long list of 'Manage “Remember Me” login keys' : "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."
Last edited by Rava on 07 Sep 2023, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected typo "The forum token" instead of "The form token"
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 07 Sep 2023, 02:41

Interesting that your error msg states "The form token" rather than "The forum token". :hmmm:
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 07 Sep 2023, 03:39

Ed_P wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 02:41
Interesting that your error msg states "The form token" rather than "The forum token". :hmmm:
You are correct, the screenshot looks suspect even when it is really what the screenshot said. Don't ask me why. I corrected my text from "The form token" to "The forum token" but now I am unsure of what the site said (aside from the screenshot, that is really what showed)

Added in 6 minutes 21 seconds:
Maybe it refers to the HTML edit form and its token rather than to the whole forum token?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

benjibasson
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Arch linux

Post#4 by benjibasson » 28 Sep 2023, 22:12

Same for me. Impossible to write from my PC. Even in private browsing and always fresh mod
Impossible to chat also

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 28 Sep 2023, 23:41

benjibasson wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 22:12
Same for me. Impossible to write from my PC. Even in private browsing and always fresh mod
Impossible to chat also
what helped me he best (but sometimes I had to repeat that) was deleting all forum.porteus.org cookies in my bowser.

The way you do so differs from browser to browser; i give you how it's done in Palemoon:

Menu Tools → Preferences
Tab Privacy → History → remove individual cookies

New window opens "Cookies"
Type in Search:

Code: Select all

port
Might be in your case you have to type more. Type so much that only cookies from forum.porteus.org are to be seen in the The following cookies match your search area.
Click [Remove all shown]

Go to a tab that shows "Your posts" and reload
forum.porteus.org will show you the login prompt

When in luck it works now, when out of luck the forum.porteus.org still has issues. Often waiting 10 or 30 minutes helps, or repeating the deleting of all cookies from forum.porteus.org , log in and try again.

I know that all this sucks, believe me, but since it's a server issue on the side of forum.porteus.org there is nothing a mere forum user can do about it.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

benjibasson
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Arch linux

Post#6 by benjibasson » 29 Sep 2023, 04:48

Rava wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 23:41
benjibasson wrote:
28 Sep 2023, 22:12
Impossible to chat also
what helped me he best (but sometimes I had to repeat that) was deleting all forum.porteus.org cookies in my bowser.
But I did it.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 29 Sep 2023, 05:35

benjibasson wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 04:48
But I did it.
Then please read on:
Rava wrote:
when out of luck the forum.porteus.org still has issues. Often waiting 10 or 30 minutes helps
Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes 30, and sometimes a few hours.

And as your post above shows, at one time you have been able to log in and post on here.
Rava wrote:
I know that all this sucks, believe me
If you want you can email or PM Blaze and ask him if he wants to reply to this thread. He knows much more about the workings of the forum servers, he is an admin while I am a mere moderator.
(I could also email him asking him if I could quote from his email where he explained some stuff on that matter but I will not quote from any email unless I have the permission doing so)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Rava » 29 Sep 2023, 15:19

Just as heads up, the described issue did not happen for me for a day and it seems forum.porteus.org is more performant as ever; could be behind the scenes under the hood of forum.porteus.org at the phpBB engine compartment there has been work done. Just my hunch. :D
*knocks on wood*
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 27 Oct 2023, 14:32

And once more, I keep being logged in, still I get this over and over:
:crazy:

I even posted this post, and even edited this very post, still in the other thread I get only the above. :cry:
Last edited by Rava on 27 Oct 2023, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited because reasons: invalid form in other thread even when I can edit this post