(Default) in LXDM throws you back to LXDM on LXDE

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
stealthfreighter
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware, Porteus 5.0 LXDE

Post#1 by stealthfreighter » 30 May 2023, 21:42

Probably not a serious bug but I changed my desktop from MATE to LXDE (cutting down the boot time from 20 seconds to around 5 :showoff: ) and as I have autologin disabled, I have noticed that upon entering the password and hitting enter, LXDM throws me back to the login screen.

I had to manually select LXDE in the lower left menu for it to work properly and enter LXDE.

Fortunately the modification is permanent, so now LXDE is always selected in LXDM (instead of the (Default))
I chose to file the bug report anyway in case somebody may consider it relevant to Porteus.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Post#2 by burdi01 » 31 May 2023, 15:04

For as far as I am aware this is the login manager's standard behavior. It certainly is not a bug.
:D

stealthfreighter
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by stealthfreighter » 31 May 2023, 22:50

I believe you but from what I remember, when using MATE, the (default) logged me into MATE and not threw me back to LDXM. Maybe I remember wrong.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 01 Jun 2023, 01:58

@Stealth:
Please post your lxdm.conf.

Also provide your bootloader identity. And the syntax used to start porteus. Do you use login cheatcode?

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Post#5 by burdi01 » 01 Jun 2023, 09:23

stealthfreighter wrote:
31 May 2023, 22:50
I believe you but from what I remember, when using MATE, the (default) logged me into MATE and not threw me back to LDXM. Maybe I remember wrong.
What I meant to say is that the login manager stores the desktop you selected in that "default" field and on subsequent non-specifying logins will use the value of that field to start the desktop.
When you installed a desktop the login manager field was pre-set to a pertinent value.
So it looks like that after you changed your desktop from MATE to LXDE the field was not updated -- which might be caused by the way you performed the change -- so it tried to load MATE but failed and hence showed the login display again.
:D

stealthfreighter
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by stealthfreighter » 07 Jun 2023, 17:02

Thank you very much for clarifying that, burdi01, I thought there was an X config file somewhere which defines the default and that's just read by the login manager (or at least defaults the first available desktop... except if the login manager is defined as a desktop itself in which case indeed it would be "technically logical" to see what we are seeing...)