XFCE 4.16 - most of the time using 3rd mouse button for copy&paste not works

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 26 Mar 2023, 22:46

My system

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:/$ cat /etc/porteus/*
001-core.xzm:20221211
002-xorg.xzm:20221211
002-xtra.xzm:20221211
003-xfce.xzm:20220925
initrd.xz:20220928
I love using the 3rd mouse button for Dr. Copy & Mr. Paste text, since that way one-time info not clutters my clipboard manager's history.

For some unknown reasons my current mouse no longer does that. Either it works out of the box on the 1st try, or it does not, needing an ridiculous large amount of middle mouse clicks.

How does using the 3rd mouse button to Dr. Copy & Mr. Paste text one might ask?
You open a text editor or some edit area in your browser. Just highlight the wanted text with the mouse (e.g. text in a terminal) and then go to the text editor and press the middle mouse button.
Cave! The text is inserted where the mouse hovers, not where the cursor sits.

That used to work as a charm. But no longer.
I have no idea if its the XFCE mouse driver, the system's mouse drive or the mouse itself.

The mouse is an IBM wheel mouse where the wheel is also the 3rd button.

But XFCE 4.16 shows these mice

and the mouse in question is named ARROW STRONG

I just highlighted text and pressed the 3rd mouse button, first nothing happened, so I pressed the 3rd button maybe 5 or 6 times in a row, finally resulting in the text copied 3 times. :(

Any ideas how to solve this?
Maybe telling XFCE to use a different mouse driver would help?

And FYI I only have 2 mice devices, not 3. Seems my physical keyboard I currently use is also one of these that registers as keyboard and as mouse (for whatever reasons)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 27 Mar 2023, 08:31

not to be a bummer, but it does sound like a hardware thing, though it could be as simple as cleaning some lint out :)
i just replaced a mouse that was double and triple pasting on middle click :p
but the first thing would be to confirm it's specific to that xfce module by testing with another 003-DE
as far as using another driver, xf86-input-mouse is pretty much it, afaik, soon to be replaced by xf86-input-libinput ( you could try getting that if you want, together with libinput, they're in the slackware repo)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 28 Mar 2023, 00:26

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 08:31
but the first thing would be to confirm it's specific to that xfce module by testing with another 003-DE
as far as using another driver, xf86-input-mouse is pretty much it, afaik, soon to be replaced by xf86-input-libinput ( you could try getting that if you want, together with libinput, they're in the slackware repo)
Okay, i first try a different XFCE DE. Would 4.12 work?

How would replacing xf86-input-mouse by xf86-input-libinput work?
Is activating a xf86-input-libinput enough or do i also need to deinstall xf86-input-mouse?
Cheers!
Yours Rava