Porteus SaveFile Manager "error"

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#1 by sean » 24 Mar 2023, 18:08

See also: Stuck on v5x64 Xfce persistence (Post by sean #93431) under Intermediate/Advanced User Questions

I made 2 Porteus 5.0 Flash-Drives from indentical brand & size. One I made by extracting the .ISO and copying the contents to a FAT32 partition on said Flash-Drive. On the initial boot I used the Porteus SaveFile Manager to make a save.dat file. When Porteus SaveFile Manager ended processing it opened /porteus/porteus-v5.0-x86_64.cfg asking me to confirm the changes=/path/to-the-file/save.dat.

This had to be done to satisfy instructions on the boot screen in order for persistence to work. A visual "change" was made to the Panel.

Subsequent boots showed persistence did not work, however one can observe Porteus "searching for porteus-v5.0-x86_64.cfg" during the boot process.

I then made the 2nd Porteus 5.0 Flash-Drive. This time I booted Porteus from a DVD, then ran the Porteus Installer for the installation to the Flash-Drive. This drive was also formatted to FAT32. When the installation completed I booted the Flash-Drive and ran the Porteus SaveFile Manager so as to create the necessary save.dat file for persistence. When Porteus SaveFile Manager completed it's processing I was again presented with a file for establishing the correct changes=/path/to/save.dat. This file, /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg was much larger than the one on the other drive. I made the requested edit to the file and saved it. I again made a visual change to the Panel.

Subsequent boots showed persistence was now working with this Flash-Drive. However one can observe Porteus "searching for porteus-v5.0-x86_64.cfg" during the boot process. When, obviously, it is using /porteus/porteus.cfg for the persistence.

During the 1st of the 1st Flash-Drive installation Porteus SaveFile Manager offered the in-correct configuration file for editing. On the 1st boot of the 2nd Flash-Drive installation Porteus SaveFile Manager offered the correct configuration file for editing.

A confusing state of affairs which I'd consider a "bug" ;-) First one I ever found with no legs or wings!

Sean

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 25 Mar 2023, 04:27

This posting relates to the problem: Stuck on v5x64 Xfce persistence (Post by Ed_P #93442)
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by beny » 25 Mar 2023, 17:21

hi Ed_P but when you have done the save.dat container the user have mount in loop for check it,if is ok.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 25 Mar 2023, 18:09

This what I got when it finished beny.
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#5 by beny » 25 Mar 2023, 20:24

root@porteus:/home/guest# mount -o loop '/mnt/live/porteussave.dat' /mnt/loop
Ed_P the container is mounted without error so i have done this on ext4 system and the container is ext4 too

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by beny » 25 Mar 2023, 21:01

hi Ed_P so when you make the save.dat,i have done in this way you have to build the save.dat on the root of the key or what you use for the boot the system i have mine in changes=/mnt/sdh1/save.dat this line is added to the porteus.cfg after this you have to add the line also in the /boot/porteus.cfg i have choose the txt mode,when you boot system there is a save.dat check first and after this step the load of the modules and all the tweak you have done are all in tested,so if you want to do in other way you are free to open bug report.

Code: Select all

LABEL text
MENU LABEL Text mode
KERNEL /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz
INITRD /boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
APPEND changes=/mnt/sdh1/save.dat text 3  i8042.nopnp 
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus in text mode and
    start the command prompt only
ENDTEXT/code]
Last edited by Ed_P on 25 Mar 2023, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add code tags

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Ed_P » 25 Mar 2023, 22:58

I am aware how the /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg file works beny. My top 2 entries:

Code: Select all

LABEL GRAPHICAL
MENU LABEL Graphics mode
APPEND changes=EXIT:UUID:C23A-6012/changes/50save.dat extramod=UUID:C23A-6012/Modules 
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the best way we can.
    Try to autoconfigure graphics
    card and use the maximum allowed
    resolution. If booting from a
    non-posix (FAT/NTFS) drive,
    see the Saving Changes Help
    below for how to save changes.
ENDTEXT

LABEL safe
MENU LABEL Graphics mode (Safe)
APPEND extramod=UUID:C23A-6012/Modules noload=save.dat
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the best way we can.
    Try to autoconfigure graphics
    card and use the maximum allowed
    resolution. 

Porteus Changes Are Not Saved "
And in my /porteus/porteus-v5.0-x86_64.cfg file nothing but # lines. :happy62:
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#8 by beny » 25 Mar 2023, 23:04

when save.dat is build you have a report that tell you ok you have done now i write the changes=where you have choose in porteus cfg and you have to add to the boot options in /boot directory and i think the append line is a bit strange,you are shure for the uuid and changes line... too complicated i don't have fat32 but with ext4 work

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 25 Mar 2023, 23:11

You saw what msg I got posted above.
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#10 by beny » 25 Mar 2023, 23:23

what that you don't have the write permission? i have choose the sd root for this question i have used for the kernel build and also for the save.dat because is ok for the heavy work