XFCE 4.16 weirdness (official Port 5.0 module)- Thunar, mousepad

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

XFCE 4.16 weirdness (official Port 5.0 module)- Thunar, mousepad

Post#1 by Rava » 14 Oct 2022, 10:34

My system:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# cat /etc/porteus/00*
001-core.xzm:20221006
002-xorg.xzm:20221006
002-xtra.xzm:20220630
003-xfce.xzm:20220925
(001-core.xzm + 002-xorg.xzm + 003-xfce.xzm are actually from the /20220924/ update [- while 002-xtra.xzm is md5sum 2f05a290830cdd657609082800a2b9eb and thus the original like in the ISOs.)]

While XFCE 4.16 is as pleasant quick and responsive as XFCE 4.12 …
… and one thing is finally solved by default: :celebrate3: that the "name" part of files / folders when viewed in "List view" (as in: name, size, date… all sortable by these categories) is no longer expanding to enormous width when one navigates through folders - but never shortened again when one reached a folder with shorter file names. So all in all, working with XFCE 4.16 thunar V4.16.10 is more pleasant than it was as using XFCE 4.12 with thunar v????.

But there is one behaviour that irks me.

When I use my configured custom action "make-ffplay-script" on a folder, the thunar "highlighted file cursor" moves to the just created file. In this one case it is okay to behave like so. But again, not really needed, because it can be that I want to use my custom action "make-ffplay-script" on more than just one single folder at that time.

But… when I have a active download in a folder opened also in thunar (e.g. by Palemoon, or via a local sitting in that very folder wget.sh script) , and want to e.g. rename a single file in the same folder, then thunar also moves its "highlighted file cursor" to some random file - and by doing so closes the renaming window every time. It is some kind of competition between me and thunar, if I manage to be quicker in renaming or thunar is quicker in closing the rename dialogue, and usually thunar wins that race. :mega_shok:

I do not see any settings in its preferences where I can stop thunar in behaving like so.

I hope it is some hidden setting that needs to be switched via one settings file, but I have no clue what setting that might be.

Hopefully one more expert in things XFCE 4.16 knows about that. :)

Added in 21 minutes 40 seconds:
I just realized what I wrote above was partially incorrect.

When I run my custom action "make-ffplay-script" on a folder, thunar jumped to the created "1st folder name.sh" - but when I repeat the custom action "make-ffplay-script" on different folders, then thunar jumps back every time to "1st folder name.sh" even when I ran it on e.g. "2nd folder name" and thus creating "2nd folder name.sh" - thunar still jumps every time to "1st folder name.sh" .

Like I said, weirdness. :crazy:

Added 3 days and whatever minutes later:
Seems the bugs (or "features?") in 4.16 based XFCE are more numerous.

e.g. with mousepad-0.5.8-x86_64
When I search for a pattern, the XFCE 4.12 version of mousepad (=mousepad-0.4.2-x86_64-1) would instantaneously jump to the first hit of that search, as it should be.
But for some reasons 4.16 XFCE's mousepad-0.5.8 thinks it is better to hinder the workflow by only printing the amount of hits in the search bar as seen in this screenshot:
but not jump to the 1st hit as you can see above. :cry:

Only when you click the "downwards" or "upwards" button right next to the search box you get to the hit(s):
In this screenshot the last of the 3 hits is highlighted so that you see all three hits in one screenshot.

Just as comparison, since I cannot run XFCE 4.12 without a VM (and I have not set up one for now) - here is what l3afpad does (and maybe you recall, mousepad is based on leafpad, and l3afpad is the GTK3 version of leafpad) - it jumps right to the first hit (marked blue) while also highlighting all other hits (marked yellow) - I manually scrolled down for the screenshot so that you can see the yellow marked additional hits. I think that is a very helpful way of doing things, and seen by that one detail mousepad is Inferior to leafpad/l3afpad. And at least I do search in my text / script code files quite often. :(
Last edited by Rava on 15 Oct 2022, 03:28, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers!
Yours Rava