Porteus-v5.0x86_64_bugs reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#76 by ncmprhnsbl » 31 Jul 2022, 23:51

rych wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 10:20
Probably not a bug but a feature: `~/.bash_profile` is not used anymore? Had to move my `export PATH=$PATH:` etc. to `~/.bashrc` for them to come into effect
not due anything consciously changed here... i mean .bash_profile has always sourced .bashrc, so i imagine it's still used in that sense... that this behaviour would be changed in bash itself seems a bit odd..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#77 by rych » 01 Aug 2022, 09:22

ncmprhnsbl, Thanks. I think something else is going on in my system as I was trying to merge some of the old settings.

1) Could you advise me first, where should I be adding my environment variables then?

2) Also, is it normal that /opt/porteus-scripts/ is not in my PATH by default?

3) For now I'm adding to the PATH in my /root/.bashrc and it works in the terminal at least. But when I used /root/.bash_profile for that, a nice side-effect was that I could use the guiexec=<name without path> cheatcode and it would find it -- not anymore.

4) Speaking of cheatcodes, did you guys fix the fsck cheatcode, does it have any effect?

4) Coming back to the profile setting mess. https://askubuntu.com/questions/121073/ ... a-terminal says that
~/.bash_profile is only sourced by bash when started in login mode. ... You can check if your Bash shell is started as a login-shell by running: shopt login_shell. If the reply is off you are not running a login shell.
And indeed I'm not running a login shell. OK, so we should use a ~/.profile? And then source it inside ~/.bashrc. So that if for example I want to export QT_FONT_DPI=150 it is set for all QT programs regardless how I start them, from command line or GUI.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#78 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Aug 2022, 01:32

rych wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 09:22
1) Could you advise me first, where should I be adding my environment variables then?
possibly create a "my_variables_or_whatever_name.sh" (or several) in /etc/profile.d/ with your exports in it. ? (make sure it's executable)
rych wrote:
that is correct... afaiaa, all user facing scripts in there are symlinked in /usr/bin .. what are you using that isn't?
rych wrote:
3) For now I'm adding to the PATH in my /root/.bashrc and it works in the terminal at least. But when I used /root/.bash_profile for that, a nice side-effect was that I could use the guiexec=<name without path> cheatcode and it would find it -- not anymore.
not sure about this... see 1) and 2)
rych wrote:
4) Speaking of cheatcodes, did you guys fix the fsck cheatcode, does it have any effect?
not in the release, but i have updated initrd.xz and placed it in <your_favourite_mirror>/$ARCH/Porteus-v5.0/updates/core/20220723/ along with updated 001-core and 002-xorg.
the portesu-settings-centre>update porteus option will handle the modules, but not the initrd.xz at this stage, so just download it manually and swap it out. (which you can also do with the modules)
the new initrd.xz contains updated e2fsck and ntfs-3g (and supporting libs) as well as busybox rebuilt in the latest toolchain (resulting in a slightly smaller binary :) ).
reiserfs support has been removed because 1.build not natively supported by the toolchain 2. unlikely anybody actually uses it any more..
anyway, the new e2fsck should now handle newer ext4 partition fsck without problem..
rych wrote:
4) Coming back to the profile setting mess
not sure.. see 1) and 2) :)

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#79 by rych » 03 Aug 2022, 09:29

ncmprhnsbl, Thank you:
ncmprhnsbl wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 01:32

possibly create a "my_variables_or_whatever_name.sh" (or several) in /etc/profile.d/ with your exports in it. ? (make sure it's executable)

Decided not to add new things into /etc/profile.d/ but keep them in my new ~/.profile. It appears to be sourced at startup and there is no need to source it again in ~/.bashrc. Now my terminal, my GUI apps, and even the cheatcode guiexec=<name without path> are all informed of my settings (PATH etc.).
ncmprhnsbl wrote:

that is correct... afaiaa, all user facing scripts in there are symlinked in /usr/bin .. what are you using that isn't?
I sometimes use /opt/porteus-scripts/dump-session, but maybe I shouldn't, as it's run for me at the EXIT anyway
ncmprhnsbl wrote:

not in the release, but i have updated initrd.xz and placed it in <your_favourite_mirror>/$ARCH/Porteus-v5.0/updates/core/20220723/ along with updated 001-core and 002-xorg.
I have tried your new modules (available on some mirrors), but it's hard to tell if the fsck is running during startup. Actually, there are a few early error messages on the console -- briefly flashed before my eyes before porteus goes to the next loading stage. I wish I could see those error messages in the logs somewhere? It's not even what could be seen on Ctrl+Alt+F1 console -- which also impossible to scroll up to see very first messages there -- but a screen before that. Where do I look?

Anyway, I remember the fsck used to present a text-mode banner saying what it's done and what it's found. There isn't such a display or it's superfast. Thank you

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux

Post#80 by Karmi » 03 Aug 2022, 13:37

Payoon wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 02:56
@AcnapyxoB
Good news. You solved it for me. I inserted the xml file into the module and now VB works as root and as guest. I am very glad.

Thanks very much again. :thumbsup:

Have been slowly adding more work to my Porteus installation (Win11 Pro is primary OS) and decided today to see if I could get VirtualBox on this 5.0 Cinnamon installation. Have always used Windows Hyper-V, on a test computer, to do some tests of Linux OSes and to also be able to take pics of the installation steps. Since Porteus is now my main Linux OS, I did a Google search for installing VirtualBox on Porteus 'n ended up on this thread.

Using donald's link, AcnapyxoB's VirtualBox.xml file info, and Payoon's verifying that it all worked - I just installed 'n added the .xml file, and it all worked! Thanks!

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#81 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Aug 2022, 23:21

rych wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 09:29
have tried your new modules (available on some mirrors), but it's hard to tell if the fsck is running during startup. Actually, there are a few early error messages on the console -- briefly flashed before my eyes before porteus goes to the next loading stage. I wish I could see those error messages in the logs somewhere? It's not even what could be seen on Ctrl+Alt+F1 console -- which also impossible to scroll up to see very first messages there -- but a screen before that. Where do I look?

Anyway, I remember the fsck used to present a text-mode banner saying what it's done and what it's found. There isn't such a display or it's superfast. Thank you
hmm, you're using the new initrd.xz, right? (it goes in boot syslinux)
and yes, it's pretty obvious when it works.. and catching error messages from the early boot is difficult.. i've not found any place their logged..
Karmi wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:37
Using donald's link, AcnapyxoB's VirtualBox.xml file info, and Payoon's verifying that it all worked - I just installed 'n added the .xml file, and it all worked! Thanks!
just to clarify: that putting VirtualBox.xml in /root/.config/VirtualBox is only needed if running virtualbox as root..

babam
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0rc3 Xfce K6.1.1

Post#82 by babam » 04 Aug 2022, 05:04

Fix for fsck to work on USB drives

Code: Select all

$ diff -u a/linuxrc b/linuxrc
--- a/linuxrc	2022-07-17 14:18:35.000000000 +0700
+++ b/linuxrc	2022-08-03 16:34:05.398475630 +0700
@@ -49,6 +49,7 @@
 # Perform filesystem check:
 if param fsck; then
 	echo $i"performing linux filesystem check on all available devices:"
+	sleep 2
 	draw
 	for x in `blkid | grep 'TYPE="ext' | cut -d: -f1`; do e2fsck -C 0 -p $x; wait; done
 	draw
Delay is required to detect USB drives
You can change 2 to a higher number if needed.
Sorry, my English is bad.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#83 by ncmprhnsbl » 04 Aug 2022, 08:41

babam wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 05:04
Delay is required to detect USB drives
You can change 2 to a higher number if needed.
you are indeed correct, thanks man, good catch :good: ... at least 2 secs work for me here..
here's a quick upload of the tweaked initrd : initrd.xz md5sum: 025ffffc0913cd1f17efcd4cd61d50c7
please test fsck cheatcode and share your experiences..
rych wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 09:29
I wish I could see those error messages in the logs somewhere?
yeah, no log but, there is cheatcode: debug which walks you through the bootup process, stopping at each stage, allowing you to peruse the output ..

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#84 by rych » 04 Aug 2022, 09:43

ncmprhnsbl, Yes, fsck works with the tweaked initrd, thank you and babam.

My early stage errors were too early for debug cheatcode to monitor. I videorecorded the screen: it's a series of ACPI Errors "AE_NOT_FOUND", "could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PR00._CPC]", "psparse" ... due to ACPI BIOS bug, apparently. I guess the updated kernel is being strict about my BIOS compliance to ACPI standard. I hope it's not critical.

Found out how to see the log:

root@porteus:~# dmesg | grep -E "ACPI BIOS Error"
[    0.263725] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PR00._CPC], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
[    0.263769] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PR00._CPC], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
[    0.263805] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PR00._CPC], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
[    0.263840] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PR00._CPC], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
[    0.263876] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PR00._CPC], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330) 
Apparently those errors are gone in 5.18.14 kernel. Now I'm on this:

root@porteus:~# uname -r
5.18.8-porteus
I think there was a thread where you or Blaze build fresh kernels, maybe I should try upgrading the kernel? Thanks

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#85 by Ed_P » 05 Aug 2022, 04:34

Porteus Settings Center's Porteus Updater doesn't show if there are updates when booting from an ISO.

Starting checks ... 
[OK] Server: http://dl.porteus.org
[OK] Architecture: x86_64
[OK] User is root
[OK] Distro is Porteus
[ERROR] You can not update when booting from an ISO

We can not continue. 
The Porteus Updater should determine if there are updates to the user's system before informing the user it can't update the user's ISO. And the error msg should be:

[ERROR] Porteus Updater can not update your system when booted from an ISO.
Ed

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#86 by Ed_P » 07 Aug 2022, 22:32

Porteus menu's Reboot option doesn't work. /EFI/boot/ missing reboot.c32. And the boot menu's TimeOut value doesn't give new users time to review the new menu options. 90 should be changed to 300, or at least 200. :)
Ed

kultex
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 XFCE

Post#87 by kultex » 17 Aug 2022, 08:08

I use the USB-linux install method formatting the stick with ext4 - the XFCE version from my old Porteus installation

http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/37-ins ... #USB-linux

But the stick does not boot - if I flash the iso with rufus, the stick boots without any problems - somebody has a similar problem?

EDIT: Maybe does not boot is the wrong expression - it boots straight to Windows - the stick does not seem to be bootable.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#88 by Ed_P » 17 Aug 2022, 14:05

Did you read the USB_INSTALLATION.txt file in the 2022 Porteus 5.0 ISO? :) The instructions you refer to are for Porteus 2.0.
Ed

kultex
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 XFCE

Post#89 by kultex » 18 Aug 2022, 07:12

Yes of course - the problem is that the link is not working

"If you run into trouble please refer to the more detailed installation guide which can be found at /boot/docs/install.txt or our website at
http://goo.gl/ci4EE"

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#90 by Rava » 19 Aug 2022, 08:56

Not a "bug" per se, but it irks me. The palemoon delivered with 5.0 is simply called palemoon-31.2.0.1-x86_64-en-US.xzm

The version, the architecture and the language are all there. :)

What misses is - unlike most other browsers - palemoon comes in GTK3 or GTK2 flavour Image, me presumes this is the GTK3 flavour.

IMHO, it should be made clear somewhere obvious (like here: Porteus-v5.0 is released! ) that the official palemoon browser will always be the GTK3 version (if my presumption is correct.) Image And if I err, what is should be made clear as well. :D

Added in 3 minutes 49 seconds:
kultex wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 07:12
"If you run into trouble please refer to the more detailed installation guide which can be found at /boot/docs/install.txt or our website at
http://goo.gl/ci4EE"
That - aka http://porteus.org/info/docs/37-install ... -v-10.html - gives me only this:
500, View not found [name, type, prefix]: phocadocumentation, html, phocadocumentationView
Yes, I activated JS and reloaded the page. Image

Added in 27 minutes 23 seconds:
And yet another issue. I killed palemoon, deactivated my older pm module and activated palemoon-31.2.0.1-x86_64-en-US.xzm

I tried to edit the module first to remove the en-US dictionary (since I use en-GB and de-DE-1901 - and both sit in an extra module and by that module in /home/guest/.moonchild productions/pale moon/RANDOM.default/extensions/

I presumed - even when not finding the en-US dictionary in the exploded module, it would still be there. But no, lucky me, it was not. :celebrate3: After starting pm 31.2.0.1 and opening about:addons / Dictionaries - I only have British English and German (1901) - and also in the context menu, there I can choose between English (United Kingdom) and German (Germany) (1901)

Maybe the GUI language of PM differs much? But there is no dictionary, and when it comes to that part, I expected the en-US dictionary, since that was like so in the past.

Was there a change with update-browser that I missed since February?

Or are now all dictionaries in the browsers removed? Since /opt/palemoon/dictionaries is a symlink to /usr/share/hunspell - albeit a broken one on my system since I do not use hunspell .
Cheers!
Yours Rava