Porteus v5.0rc1 problems

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Porteus v5.0rc1 problems

Post#91 by beny » 26 Aug 2019, 16:53

hi payoon,for virtual box you need the running kernel to build the module,so you can try with the crippled-source kernel if available.

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Porteus v5.0rc1 problems

Post#92 by Payoon » 26 Aug 2019, 21:14

Will try.
Thank You Beny.

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Porteus v5.0rc1 problems

Post#93 by Payoon » 27 Aug 2019, 00:43

Hi Beny
I have tried to compile the .run file with crippled sources activated, but the result is the same.
Thanks nevertheless.
Payoon

sams
Legendary
Legendary

Porteus v5.0rc1 problems

Post#94 by sams » 12 Sep 2019, 06:16

Hi porteus people, I have a feature request or 3.
When I travel my porteus environment often ends up running on a MacBook with broadcom wireless. I always end up building this driver myself from the slackbuilds. I have this working on porteus 3.x and 4.0, works ok most of the time but the connection is not completely reliable. I wanted to see if the latest porteus has more reliable broadcom wireless but I note that this driver is still not included. Is it possible you could package the appropriate broadcom driver with the next release? (Edit: and maybe macbook sound drivers? I can test these... Sorry if these are crazy requests but porteus works well on macbooks and is way more comfortable than OSX)

Minor note: the cheatcodes.txt is unchanged from 4.0. It includes something like:
cfgfile=xxx.sgn
This is not exactly incorrect but the sgn reference is from 3.0 and the cfg file works a bit different than the old sgn file

and finally this is not a big deal but I don't use the porteus installers, I copy the files manually to my own stick that can boot from bios or EFI, and my stick always contains multiple porteus versions, so the porteus folder is 1 level deeper than yours, down in a version folder. Same with the kernel/initrd. I don't think anything you do will substantially change what I do but maybe it would be cool if the default configuration supported multiple porteus versions on one stick. (EDIT: ignore this one, my install can't be automated since it uses grub-efi & grub-bios & syslinux. It's slick when done but not realistic for a script)

Anyway, latest porteus still works fine on a Mac (sans wireless so far). As always you guys are lifesavers.