Porteus-v4.0rc4 bug reports

Please reproduce your error on a second machine before posting, and check the error by running without saved changes or extra modules (See FAQ No. 13, "How to report a bug"). For unstable Porteus versions (alpha, beta, rc) please use the relevant thread in our "Development" section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#1 by brokenman » 14 Feb 2018, 23:37

Please post issues here.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Post#2 by burdi01 » 16 Feb 2018, 10:14

Congratulations to the team. :Bravo:
A question, not a bug : Current is a fast-moving target. Will updates c.q. new isos be released on every Current update, or once a week / month /whatever or only with a new release?
:D

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 by brokenman » 16 Feb 2018, 21:09

Hi brokenman... I can't seem to locate the Python 2 deps tcl/tk in 001-core.xzm...
You can download them via usm or the getpkg script:

Code: Select all

getpkg tcl
@burdi01
Updates will be tested and then pushed via two channels. One will be a new ISO and the other will be base module updates via the update-porteus script wherein porteus on writable media can be updated. I would expect updates around every two months or so at this stage.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 16 Feb 2018, 23:17

n0ctilucient wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 21:52
The combined package size of a tcl/tk I believe is just south of 5mb.
Yes that's true, but where do we stop?

Open a console and run: usm -d
You will find many more missing dependencies. So the decision to be made is, where is the balance of size and usability? Do we build for developers, GUI users, online workers or what? If we include every dependency we have a rock solid system, but we sacrifice size. A dependency may only be there to serve one small fringe case purpose that the majority of users will never see. That's the reasoning behind leaving out tcl/tk. Developers can most certainly figure out that need to install these whereas the average Porteus user will never miss it, and may not even know how to obtain it.

Philip
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 LXDE 64-bit

Post#5 by Philip » 17 Feb 2018, 12:47

Porteus 4.0 rc4 LXDE 32-bit

Some points to report:

The Porteus settings centre does not start from the menu, but can be started from a root terminal.

I have found that the kmap settings when set from Porteus settings centre do not save. The entry needs to be in porteus.cfg

I also found that when the porteussave.dat file was made the entry appeared in the new Porteus-v4.0.cfg file, but the system didn't see this when restarted. This led me to use the original porteus.cfg instead.

PDF viewer: JPG's are not displaying if they are in a .pdf document.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#6 by fulalas » 17 Feb 2018, 20:11

@Philip, thanks for your detailed feedback! I'll fix the LXDE issues as soon as possible. :good:

@n0ctilucient, can you explain in more details what you want to do?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 17 Feb 2018, 20:14

Please post elsewhere about preferences. This thread is for bug reports. I'd like to minimize noise or else it makes sorting through bugs more difficult.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 17 Feb 2018, 21:53

n0ctilucient wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 20:40
Therefore... I'm trying to point out something is broken.
If something is broken please give specific examples of exactly where you believe that python is broken. My belief is that it is not broken at all, but rather missing some dependencies required for compiling. If those dependencies are absolutely vital to the runtime functionality of Porteus then I would include them. If something required for day to day operation for the average user is broken, then it needs fixing but you haven't given any examples of that. If they are only related to compiling then a developer (which is your case I believe) can install them as needed for their own projects.

poppler is missing some Qt dependencies too but I won't be including Qt in the base. Then perl is missing mariadb for some fringe case scenarios but it is not needed for our purposes. I understand that it is only ~5M of packages with a 10M memory footprint but I am trying to strip whatever I can. Porteus will naturally grow in size as other bloaty bases increase their reuirements. This is unavoidable. I would like to resist it wherever possible. If you'd like to discuss it further feel free to PM me, but I'd like to leave this thread open for bugs only.
Would you prefer I raise the issue there or perhaps in "Programming"?
This is probably the best option.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#9 by fulalas » 19 Feb 2018, 08:24

Philip wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 12:47
The Porteus settings centre does not start from the menu, but can be started from a root terminal.
I can't reproduce this issue here. Have you tried in Always Fresh mode?
Philip wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 12:47
PDF viewer: JPG's are not displaying if they are in a .pdf document.
Fixed. I'll upload a new module soon.

raja
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: v3.2.2-32 and Porteus-Artix-64

Post#10 by raja » 19 Feb 2018, 09:26

This refers to v4.0rc1 LxQt.
Preferences/LXQt settings/Time and Date; When I selected Timezone, gives out an error message ,"The name org.freedesktop.timedate1 was not provided by any .service file".

Used PSC to make xzm for timezone. Though time display is correct, this module generated by psc induces "raiserfs" error in Kernel message. ( raised this earlier also).

I shall download latest, only after someone says , no more carry over of error messages from start ( known issue to all developers) during the shutdown process.

*with rc1, I am getting more and more files getting corrupted during write. I am not doing anything funny now to get these. No experiments till I am assured.

Progress means, 'something new' and 'attractive'.

I would like a quiet boot with only a dos animation, till desktop shows up. colorful icons may jazz up the look and feel. Imagine a world with grey suited women.!

But, in Porteus, kernel finishes its job, during boot in just 8 seconds for me, am yet to a competitor, anywhere near.
Linux Kernel-4.4.272 -32 bit; Linux Kernel-5.4.185 - 64 bit

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

Post#11 by jssouza » 19 Feb 2018, 09:28

Booting iso in copy2ram mode - linuxrc has this error probably while trying to eject the CD:
linuxrc: line 375: /union/usr/bin/eject: not found

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#12 by fulalas » 19 Feb 2018, 10:11

raja wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 09:26
This refers to v4.0rc1 LxQt.
Preferences/LXQt settings/Time and Date; When I selected Timezone, gives out an error message ,"The name org.freedesktop.timedate1 was not provided by any .service file".
I'm aware of this issue. I've already reported to the developers, but they don't seem to care. So, I'm sorry, but I can't fix this. :Search:

paf
White ninja
White ninja

Post#13 by paf » 22 Feb 2018, 15:42

This is with XFCE version, but is related to VirtualBox (building the Guest Additions).

So with Porteus 4.0 rc4 iso I have made an ISO including closed source and level modules.

When building the Virtual Box Guest Additions using the supplied scripts, they fail.

On the /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log file it says:
Kernel configuration is invalid.
it complains about missing "include/generated/autoconf.h" or "include/config/auto.conf"

Then says it cannot find the headers of the linux Kernel to specify KERN_VER=<version> currently 4.15.2-porteus.

My doubts are:
uname -a gives the kernel version 4.15.0-rc7-porteus
/usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to linux-4.15.2 and there on include/linux/ there is the autoconf.h file.

Is there some mismatch between the two?
What can I do to compile the Virtual Box Guest additions?

Oh, and many many, MANY thanks to the Porteus developers.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#14 by fulalas » 22 Feb 2018, 21:54

@paf, I can't reproduce your issue. I can generate both VBox and VBoxGuest modules from Vbox builder. Have you tried to boot into Always Fresh mode?

BTW, why do you want the Guest Addition? :)

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#15 by ncmprhnsbl » 22 Feb 2018, 23:53

paf wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 15:42
uname -a gives the kernel version 4.15.0-rc7-porteus
something not right there..
should be:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux porteus 4.15.2-porteus
what ARCH are you using? x86_64 or x86 ?
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44