Tricks and Tips

Porteus based on Arch with pacman package manager.
ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Tricks and Tips

Post#1 by ncmprhnsbl » 13 Apr 2014, 05:33

@stifiling, i hope you don't mind, feel free to edit :)

This topic as a place for useful information, gleaned from the main thread, and anything else that might be relevent.
Post your tips and i'll add them to first post, in a sort of mini wiki way.
This post will be edited.
General Info
current version : 3.0
root account only included
installation : read .../boot/docs/install.txt

Cheatcodes
read .../boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt

Useful Commands
pacman -Sy .................................................................................................................... (sync repositories)
pacman -Ss <packagename or string> ................................................................................(search repos for package or category/search term)
pacman --help ............................................................................................................... ( ;) )
makexzm <packagename>................................................................................................(sync , download and make an xzm(module) with all dependencies. )
..........................................................................................................................................also when used in combination with 006-dev module, uses AUR
arch2xzm <packagename> ..................................................................................................(make a module from .pkg.tar.xz within current directory)
unsquashfs -f <module>....................................................................................................... (extract module to file 'squashfs-root')
mksquashfs /path/to/<directoryname> /path/to/foo.xzm -comp xz -b 524288 -Xbcj x86 ........... (make a module from a directory)
yaourt -S <packagename>....................................................................................................(make and install from AUR. Needs devx module to work)
filemnt <compressedfile>.....................................................................................................command from puppy linux. if you right click an .iso, .dat, .xzm, or .img and 'open with filemnt'.
...........................................................................................................................................the file should mount to /mnt/pathtofile. right click 'open with filemnt' should unmount it.
...........................................................................................................................................sometimes you might want to jus take a look inside one of those files,
...........................................................................................................................................or copy something out and this makes it easy to do so.

Useful Modules
006-devx ..... supplies yaourt access to the Arch User Repository and other build from source tools

How To: Add an unprivileged acount
...steps....
How To:....Install Virtualbox
virtualbox can be installed on the 64-bit easily if you do:

Code: Select all

pacman -Sdd virtualbox vbox-modules-sensei30
and add these modules to look like this on line 9 of the /etc/rc.conf file:

MODULES="vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci"
How To: Have your Drives Automount at Startup

Remove the word 'unmount' from line 8 of the /etc/rc.conf file,

Misc Tips
When using duckduckgo : prepending seach term with 'bangs'.. ie " !arch foo " will search the arch wiki for foo. !aur for Arch User Repo. !archpkg for official repo.(dont use these packages)
Remember that Sensei has Porteus(Slackware) kernel and init, with Arch userland, so some archwiki information may not be useful, especially relating to systemd.
Useful Links

http://sourceforge.net/projects/senseignulinux/files
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ge ... mendations
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AU ... he_package
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages
http://wiki.manjaro.org
and more...
Last edited by ncmprhnsbl on 03 May 2014, 08:35, edited 6 times in total.
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus w/pacman pm

Re: Tricks and Tips

Post#2 by stifiling » 13 Apr 2014, 07:24

nice!!..did you try compiling w/the devx? if so many users may not know that installing any of these...about 48,000 apps are easily installed using:

yaourt -S packagename
users using 005-extraapps64.xzm, and want to compile from the AUR...will need to download 006-devx+extra64.xzm and force install the desktop u're using dev files:

pacman -S --force devx64-xfce30 or devx64-cinnamon30 or devx64-gnome30
virtualbox can be installed on the 64-bit easily if you do:

pacman -Sdd virtualbox vbox-modules-sensei30
and add these modules to look like this on line 9 of the /etc/rc.conf file:

MODULES="vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci"
filemnt is a command from puppy linux. if you right click an .iso, .dat, .xzm, or .img and 'open with filemnt'...the file should mount to /mnt/pathtofile. right click 'open with filemnt' should unmount it. sometimes you might want to jus take a look inside one of those files, or copy something out and this makes it easy to do so.

i like my drives to be unmounted at startup. but if you happen to prefer original porteus's way...where all your drives are automounted, removing the word 'unmount' from line 8 of the /etc/rc.conf file, should make that work.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Tricks and Tips

Post#3 by francois » 26 Sep 2015, 19:14

@ncmprhnsbl:
I think I should have done something similar instead of hijacking stifiling post in the first page of his thread. I will do that.
Great post. I will be coming by more often. First time I looked at it.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.