Porteus/Arch aka Sensei (Porteus w/pacman package manager)

Porteus based on Arch with pacman package manager.
stifiling
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus w/pacman pm

Re: Porteus/Arch aka Sensei (Porteus w/pacman package manage

Post#16 by stifiling » 06 Aug 2013, 01:27

francois wrote::D I hope you do not count on archlinux experts only.
Absolutely not anyone with any great ideas, whether they're from gentoo, arch, debian, ubuntu etc.....i'm all ears. This porteus-arch system, has no default base to give full credit to, of where it came from...it's really a mixture of a lotta different ideas, from a lotta different places. Porteus, Arch, Puppy, and the ideas from the user simargl from the puppy linux forum holding the most weight.
francois wrote:From this last post, I understand that I should create modules as in porteus stock ALWAYS FRESH mode. That is, with the basic system that could be downloaded, that I install package after package, series of packages with pacman, transform them into porteus-archlinux modules and get rid of the traces of these packages in the folder structure.
Not starting with the original, stock Porteus....but starting with this porteus-arch. When i say start clean/fresh...i'm meaning using this system, but without a .dat save file that u've already started installing apps in. If you want to create an xzm module, it's better to start new with this porteus-arch system (if this is the system u're interested in using, they won't work with the original Porteus). The reason for this, rather than one halfway set up is because if say a wine dependecy is already installed in the .dat file from some other app you installed....when you make the .xzm file...it will pull down only the dependecies that aren't already installed. So if you already have a dependecy installed in the .dat file, from some other app you installed which uses that dependecy as well....you more than likely won't know, and will make your .xzm module, without that dependency. If that happens, and you decide later you want to start with a new .dat file....you may wonder why wine isn't working correctly. and the reason would be because you got rid of a required dependency when you got rid of the previous .dat save file. This is why if you want to make .xzm modules, it's best to do it on a fresh porteus-arch installation...so that they will have all the required depencencies and will always work, even if you start over with a new .dat save file.
francois wrote:1) if a package has to be forced to be installed, you would appreciate that we report that it had to be forced.
*Here, would you like the output of the pacman -S the-package-to-be installed?
** Yet I had to force xorg-xscreensaver, kdegame-kigo, kdegame-kmahjong, domination (game).
2) does it makes any difference for you if I work thru many packages at once, or if I work package by package? (i.e. separately, gimp, openoffice, xscreensaver, ...)
yes, all i'd really need to know is the name of the package you were installing when you got the file conflict. and it should happen to me as well when i try to install the same app, then i'll know exactly which files to remove from this base porteus-arch installation.

it doesn't matter if you do package by package or not, pacman should tell you exactly which package it is that's trying to install, but won't because of a file conflict. so even if you used pacman to install 4 apps at the same time ex. 'pacman -S guake pcmanfm leafpad dolphin'......pacman will tell you in the terminal which package it is exactly that's causing the conflict.

As we can see in fanthom's post, he was installing kaffeine, but a couple of the dependecies for kaffeine caused the conflict:

Code: Select all

libutempter: /usr/lib/libutempter.so exists in filesystem
libutempter: /usr/lib/libutempter.so.0 exists in filesystem
libutempter: /usr/lib/utempter/utempter exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/dlist_test exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/get_device exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/get_driver exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/get_module exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/systool exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/lib/libsysfs.so exists in filesystem
pacman showed us the dependecies for kaffeine that wouldn't install because of conflicts, and stopped kaffeine from installing, and those two packages that 'file conflicted' are libutempter and sysfsutils. Once again the reason being is because these slackware files already exist in the system from the original porteus. So this porteus-arch still needs some cleaning to be done. I won't know all the files that will cause a conflict until i happen to come across them. or a user reports it.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#17 by brokenman » 06 Aug 2013, 02:08

Any objections to moving this thread into the 'Porteus derivatives' category?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#18 by francois » 06 Aug 2013, 03:04

Just tell me if I become too demanding at some point. Here is a few proposals:
- minimally a webbrowser seems to be a must if one could be able to follow your instructions on the net (firefox is the standard in porteus, but opera could be fine too, google chrome is fine if you install a version that could work root mode). Also on your basic system, it would be usefull to have xrorg-xrandr (usefull for dual display settings, but also to fix display problems; nm-applet instead of wicd from memory would be lighter. As proposed by ncmprhnsbl, xf86-input-synaptics package to remedy to the laptop mousepad dysfunction, is an asset for laptops.

Notes.
- instead of proposing at startup for the first bootup prebuilt or custom panel, you could resort to a desktop environment setup same as xfce porteus, this way it would be familiar to users of the forum
- the the save.dat folder is usually mainly used for non unix filesystem, otherwise any folder could be used as in grubconfig menu.lst, my own save folder setup:
- I will build portarch modules the way you prescribed, maybe not much this week as my box at home is rather slow. Lets say more on the next weekend where my toshiba satellite z930 will be available. I think that I will stick to modules one at a time or maybe will build them as metapackages for categories of applications office, network, games, printer-scanner-setup. I will then make them available on mediafire. If a few join us, maybe we can build a certain number of modules for portarch. However, I wonder how you will be able with these modules to relsove the dependencies common to different modules (here in fact the same problem encountered by brokenman with PPM).

Thanks. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by stifiling » 06 Aug 2013, 03:53

brokenman wrote:Any objections to moving this thread into the 'Porteus derivatives' category?
No objections here. It's definitely better suited there.
francois wrote:Just tell me if I become too demanding at some point.
Never too demanding, ideas are GREAT and definitely welcome.

francois wrote: Here is a few proposals:
- minimally a webbrowser seems to be a must if one could be able to follow your instructions on the net (firefox is the standard in porteus, but opera could be fine too, google chrome is fine if you install a version that could work root mode). Also on your basic system, it would be usefull to have xrorg-xrandr (usefull for dual display settings, but also to fix display problems; nm-applet instead of wicd from memory would be lighter. As proposed by ncmprhnsbl, xf86-input-synaptics package to remedy to the laptop mousepad dysfunction, is an asset for laptops.
Opera would be my preferred choice but the thing about it is, some java sites don't work with it. pogo.com games for instance on 64 bit linux doesn't work. it works on 32 bit in opera though. Same with chromium....pogo.com games don't work with java. Which leads me to wonder "Is this the only java site that doesn't work?". my educated guess would be....no, so that's why i went with Firefox. everything 'i' know of works with it. I wouldn't be against leaving a web browser out, so many different have so many different favorites, so installing the one you want using pacman...seems kind of ideal in my opinion. xorg-xrandr and xf86-input-synaptics, yes will include in an updated upload. as far as the network manager....wicd, it jus works. it's large, but it's very user friendly and i've never had a problem with it. nm-applet...not really familiar with it. is it easy to use? is it a no huss, no fuss solution like wicd or is editing .conf files and that sort of thing required? There's a very nice one by the name of Frisbee from puppy linux that works very well. If i can get it working, that's another option.
francois wrote:Notes.
- instead of proposing at startup for the first bootup prebuilt or custom panel, you could resort to a desktop environment setup same as xfce porteus, this way it would be familiar to users of the forum
No problem. I would still want it to be the default set up though. rather than having the pop up, jus already have the default with the panel at the top and the dock at the bottom. Not that i like it that way, jus would like to give it to the users, as close to the way the developer has it....and let them make their own changes and mods.

francois wrote:- I will build portarch modules the way you prescribed, maybe not much this week as my box at home is rather slow. Lets say more on the next weekend where my toshiba satellite z930 will be available. I think that I will stick to modules one at a time or maybe will build them as metapackages for categories of applications office, network, games, printer-scanner-setup. I will then make them available on mediafire. If a few join us, maybe we can build a certain number of modules for portarch. However, I wonder how you will be able with these modules to relsove the dependencies common to different modules (here in fact the same problem encountered by brokenman with PPM).
prebuilt modules are a great idea. but the ones i was originally viewing as being most useful and would cause the least amount of confusion are the desktop enviornments. kde, gnome, mate, awesome, lxde...etc.

if people choose to use this, the way it's layed out to be used....different ppl will have totally different setups. so if we were to have a gimp.xzm.....there's a chance that a dependency may be missing from someone else's bizarre type of set up. or they may already have some of the dependecies already installed from something else....now they're there twice, overlapping each other.....taking up unnecessary space.

the 04-apps.xzm has a lot of apps and their dependencies. and a lot of those dependecies are dependecies for other apps. I had the original mindset of.....letting the user pitch the 04-apps.xzm right out the window. It's just a default, "I think you might like these." choice of apps. the idea is for the user to build their own, with their own favorites. so if we were to use this default installation, and make a wine.xzm module to share for the users......when/if the user decides to pitch the 04-apps.xzm, the wine.xzm more than likely won't work anymore. because necessary dependcies were in the default 04-apps.xzm.....which didn't get included in the wine.xzm when we made it.....because pacman viewed it as already being installed, so it won't install it twice.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#20 by ncmprhnsbl » 06 Aug 2013, 07:51

"francois wrote: Here is a few proposals:
- minimally a webbrowser seems to be a must if one could be able to follow your instructions on the net (firefox is the standard in porteus,"

firefox appears to be missing from the 32bit ISO? 64bit OK
some menu entries for archpup things that dont work

thanks for the mypaint/full/path tip, works here now,
trying figure out whats slack and whats arch ..
wild guess:
kernel --slack/porteus
core --arch/slack/porteus + config
xorg --arch
xfce --arch
thanks for the module building breakdown
question: to make a "03-lxde" or "03-***" desktop module, the 03-xcfe should be removed?
or does it contain core dependecies? so far i've just built awesome on top..
also when making modules it is useful to strip unnecessary files...
a list of 'safe' to delete stuff(i should check porteus docs)
what cheatcodes/bootline work/not:

posting from firefox installed(live/ram) from my hd install arch pkg cache(not recommended) :evil: accidently copy/pasted v21 :%)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#21 by stifiling » 06 Aug 2013, 14:28

ncmprhnsbl wrote:firefox appears to be missing from the 32bit ISO?
U're right, I remember when i took it out now and forgot. whoops!!
ncmprhnsbl wrote:some menu entries for archpup things that dont work
Thanks for pointing this out as well...need to clean those out too.
ncmprhnsbl wrote: trying figure out whats slack and whats arch ..
wild guess:
kernel --slack/porteus
core --arch/slack/porteus + config
xorg --arch
xfce --arch
You hit the nail on the head once again.

ncmprhnsbl wrote:question: to make a "03-lxde" or "03-***" desktop module, the 03-xcfe should be removed?
or does it contain core dependecies? so far i've just built awesome on top..
also when making modules it is useful to strip unnecessary files...
a list of 'safe' to delete stuff(i should check porteus docs)
what cheatcodes/bootline work/not:
the 03-xfce does not contain core dependecies, the system should load to a tty prompt with only 00-kernel, 01-core and 02-xorg. pacman is in 01-core so after getting to the tty prompt....you can install any DE/WM you want and any apps etc. You can make one xzm module altogether wit the desktop environment and the apps, or keep them separate. the choice is yours. you can put xfce and lxde together in one if you want and both should work just fine.

The view that i had though is to keep the 03-****'s separate.....and available for download for users who may not want to take it to that next level of geekiness...by creating their own 03-desktop_environment.xzm. So if someone wants KDE over XFCE, the 03-kde.xzm module is already prebuilt and ready for download to replace the 03-xfce.xzm. with the goal of still being able to work with the 04-apps.xzm. So if a user downloads the 03-kde.xzm, and continue to use the 04-apps.xzm....the file manager's still going to be thunar, xfce-terminal, firefox etc. If they want dolphin and konsole and kwrite......they'd have to get their hands a lil dirty...and make their own 04-apps.xzm. which isn't overly hard to do.

The way that i would do the 03-awesome.xzm module that you created would be by booting with only 00-kernel, 01-core and 02-xorg. it'll be harder to accomplish using jus the tty...but the results will be much cleaner and a lot smaller. this way you can just use it...without having the unnecessary xfce sitting back there doing nothing. realistically speaking, the goal of this is to be able to easily....pitch right out the window, the 03-xfce.xzm too. I wanted it to be easily set up to do anything you want to do. but not so so overly hard, that u'd have to be Richard Stallman to figure it out.

the usefulness i can see with finding unnecessary files to strip out is to have the xzm modules smaller....which in turn is taking up less HD space, or less ram if loading in ram....leaving more to be used by the system. You really have to do some serious stripping to shave off 10MB. More often that not...imo, it's not even worth the trouble. Some users are just that meticulous and picky though.

All the porteus cheatecodes should work just fine.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#22 by francois » 08 Aug 2013, 01:10

@stiffling:

1.0 Just some thoughts to present and test with you and the other knowledgeable persons on the forum. The following statement might be a little naive, I am not the one able to judge.

Is it possible to use for example the xfce porteus edition 2.1, and to keep it intact except to install pacman on it? If this is possible this would provide porteus a system to import packages from archlinux and build packages for the porteus system. And why not integrate the thing to PPM.
Last edited by francois on 08 Aug 2013, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#23 by francois » 08 Aug 2013, 01:27

Continued:
2.0 The content of my /mnt/sda7 does not appear, this is where the information of portarch is located on my drive. I have to mount the content manually on /mnt/sda7a. Instead of the content of the partition, I get the content of /mnt/live/memory/images/changes/ on that drive. Is there something to do?

3.0 Trying to install kdegames:

oot@porteus:~# pacman -S kdegames
:: There are 39 members in group kdegames:
:: Repository extra
   1) kdegames-bomber  2) kdegames-bovo  3) kdegames-granatier
   4) kdegames-kajongg  5) kdegames-kapman  6) kdegames-katomic
   7) kdegames-kblackbox  8) kdegames-kblocks  9) kdegames-kbounce
   10) kdegames-kbreakout  11) kdegames-kdiamond  12) kdegames-kfourinline
   13) kdegames-kgoldrunner  14) kdegames-kigo  15) kdegames-killbots
   16) kdegames-kiriki  17) kdegames-kjumpingcube  18) kdegames-klickety
   19) kdegames-klines  20) kdegames-kmahjongg  21) kdegames-kmines
   22) kdegames-knavalbattle  23) kdegames-knetwalk  24) kdegames-kolf
   25) kdegames-kollision  26) kdegames-konquest  27) kdegames-kpatience
   28) kdegames-kreversi  29) kdegames-kshisen  30) kdegames-ksirk
   31) kdegames-ksnakeduel  32) kdegames-kspaceduel  33) kdegames-ksquares
   34) kdegames-ksudoku  35) kdegames-ktuberling  36) kdegames-kubrick
   37) kdegames-lskat  38) kdegames-palapeli  39) kdegames-picmi

Enter a selection (default=all): 14,20
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for phonon-backend:
:: Repository extra
   1) phonon-gstreamer  2) phonon-vlc

Enter a number (default=1): 2
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (60): attica-0.4.2-1  boost-libs-1.53.0-2  docbook-xml-4.5-5
               docbook-xsl-1.78.1-1  exiv2-0.23-1  ffmpeg-1:1.2.1-1
               gnugo-3.8-3  grantlee-0.3.0-2  ilmbase-2.0.0-1
               kactivities-4.10.4-1  kdebase-runtime-4.10.4-1  kdelibs-4.10.4-1
               libcanberra-0.30-4  libdbusmenu-qt-0.9.2-2  libdvbpsi-1:0.2.2-1
               libebml-1.3.0-1  libiodbc-3.52.8-2  libkate-0.4.1-4
               libkdegames-4.10.4-1  libkmahjongg-4.10.4-1  libmatroska-1.4.0-1
               libmpeg2-0.5.1-4  libqzeitgeist-0.8.0-3  libshout-1:2.3.1-1
               libtiger-0.3.4-3  libupnp-1.6.18-1  libutempter-1.1.6-1
               libva-1.1.1-1  lua51-5.1.5-3  media-player-info-17-1
               nepomuk-core-4.10.4-1  openal-1.15.1-1  openexr-2.0.0-1
               oxygen-icons-4.10.4-1  phonon-1:4.6.0-8  phonon-vlc-0.6.2-1
               polkit-qt-0.103.0-2  poppler-qt-0.22.5-1  qca-2.0.3-4
               qtwebkit-2.3.1-2  rasqal-1:0.9.30-1  redland-1:1.0.16-2
               redland-storage-virtuoso-1:1.0.16-2  sdl_image-1.2.12-3
               shared-desktop-ontologies-0.11.0-1  soprano-2.9.2-1
               sound-theme-freedesktop-0.8-1  speex-1.2rc1-3  strigi-0.7.8-3
               sysfsutils-2.1.0-8  taglib-1.8-1  udisks2-2.1.0-3
               unixodbc-2.3.1-1  v4l-utils-0.9.5-2  virtuoso-base-6.1.6-2
               vlc-2.0.7-2  xcb-util-keysyms-0.3.9-1  zvbi-0.2.33-6
               kdegames-kigo-4.10.4-1  kdegames-kmahjongg-4.10.4-1

Total Download Size:    100.50 MiB
Total Installed Size:   358.10 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
:: Retrieving packages ...
 sysfsutils-2.1.0-8-i686   29.5 KiB  96.1K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 exiv2-0.23-1-i686       1342.5 KiB   761K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 boost-libs-1.53.0-2...  1754.4 KiB   830K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 strigi-0.7.8-3-i686      551.6 KiB   701K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 attica-0.4.2-1-i686      215.3 KiB   879K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 rasqal-1:0.9.30-1-i686   232.9 KiB   970K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 redland-1:1.0.16-2-i686  188.2 KiB  1127K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 unixodbc-2.3.1-1-i686    196.1 KiB  1147K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 redland-storage-vir...    16.2 KiB  5.26M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libiodbc-3.52.8-2-i686   145.7 KiB  1104K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 virtuoso-base-6.1.6...     6.0 MiB  1017K/s 00:06 [######################] 100%
 soprano-2.9.2-1-i686       2.0 MiB  1039K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 grantlee-0.3.0-2-i686    303.3 KiB  1072K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 shared-desktop-onto...    88.5 KiB   119K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 qca-2.0.3-4-i686         452.4 KiB   425K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 libdbusmenu-qt-0.9....   137.4 KiB   961K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 polkit-qt-0.103.0-2...    62.4 KiB  1835K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 ilmbase-2.0.0-1-i686     162.5 KiB  1029K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 openexr-2.0.0-1-i686    1918.7 KiB  1036K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 docbook-xml-4.5-5-any     75.2 KiB  1672K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 docbook-xsl-1.78.1-...   712.6 KiB   852K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 udisks2-2.1.0-3-i686     515.6 KiB   957K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 libdvbpsi-1:0.2.2-1...    58.1 KiB  1874K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 sdl_image-1.2.12-3-i686   24.2 KiB  3.38M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libkate-0.4.1-4-i686     270.6 KiB  1096K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libtiger-0.3.4-3-i686     19.9 KiB  4.86M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 lua51-5.1.5-3-i686       201.2 KiB  1177K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libebml-1.3.0-1-i686      91.8 KiB   918K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libmatroska-1.4.0-1...   202.7 KiB   975K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 zvbi-0.2.33-6-i686       270.7 KiB   169K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 taglib-1.8-1-i686        325.5 KiB   576K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 libva-1.1.1-1-i686       347.5 KiB   729K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 speex-1.2rc1-3-i686      552.3 KiB   871K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 v4l-utils-0.9.5-2-i686   480.7 KiB   943K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 ffmpeg-1:1.2.1-1-i686      4.0 MiB   942K/s 00:04 [######################] 100%
 libupnp-1.6.18-1-i686    177.1 KiB   864K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libshout-1:2.3.1-1-i686   54.1 KiB  89.6K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 libmpeg2-0.5.1-4-i686     65.7 KiB   217K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 xcb-util-keysyms-0....     6.1 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 vlc-2.0.7-2-i686           7.5 MiB   688K/s 00:11 [######################] 100%
 phonon-vlc-0.6.2-1-i686   72.8 KiB  1655K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libqzeitgeist-0.8.0...    68.9 KiB  1679K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 phonon-1:4.6.0-8-i686    206.9 KiB   723K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 media-player-info-1...    15.7 KiB  52.2K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libutempter-1.1.6-1...     7.4 KiB  7.22M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 qtwebkit-2.3.1-2-i686      8.2 MiB   766K/s 00:11 [######################] 100%
 kdelibs-4.10.4-1-i686     12.4 MiB  1031K/s 00:12 [######################] 100%
 poppler-qt-0.22.5-1...   131.3 KiB  1026K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 nepomuk-core-4.10.4...   735.0 KiB  1143K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 kactivities-4.10.4-...   246.4 KiB   643K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 sound-theme-freedes...   364.7 KiB   249K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 libcanberra-0.30-4-i686   71.5 KiB   644K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 oxygen-icons-4.10.4...    28.4 MiB  1075K/s 00:27 [######################] 100%
 kdebase-runtime-4.1...     7.7 MiB   912K/s 00:09 [######################] 100%
 openal-1.15.1-1-i686     181.4 KiB   810K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 libkdegames-4.10.4-...     5.6 MiB   922K/s 00:06 [######################] 100%
 gnugo-3.8-3-i686         787.8 KiB   749K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 kdegames-kigo-4.10....  1343.6 KiB  1047K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 libkmahjongg-4.10.4...  1602.0 KiB   853K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 kdegames-kmahjongg-...  1051.7 KiB   984K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
(60/60) checking keys in keyring                   [######################] 100%
(60/60) checking package integrity                 [######################] 100%
(60/60) loading package files                      [######################] 100%
(60/60) checking for file conflicts                [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/dlist_test exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/get_device exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/get_driver exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/get_module exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/bin/systool exists in filesystem
sysfsutils: /usr/lib/libsysfs.so exists in filesystem
libutempter: /usr/lib/libutempter.so exists in filesystem
libutempter: /usr/lib/libutempter.so.0 exists in filesystem
libutempter: /usr/lib/utempter/utempter exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
4.0 Installing yaourt customizepkg rsync to access and operate aur:

root@porteus:~# pacman -S yaourt
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (5): diffutils-3.3-1  gettext-0.18.2.1-1  package-query-1.2-2
              yajl-2.0.4-1  yaourt-1.3-1

Total Download Size:    2.41 MiB
Total Installed Size:   11.75 MiB

diffutils-3.3-1-i686     171.9 KiB   260K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 gettext-0.18.2.1-1-i686    2.1 MiB  1121K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 yajl-2.0.4-1-i686         36.6 KiB  2.39M/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 package-query-1.2-2...    21.7 KiB   224K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 yaourt-1.3-1-any          49.7 KiB   360K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
(5/5) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(5/5) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(5/5) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(5/5) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
diffutils: /usr/bin/cmp exists in filesystem
diffutils: /usr/bin/diff exists in filesystem
diffutils: /usr/bin/diff3 exists in filesystem
diffutils: /usr/bin/sdiff exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/bin/envsubst exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/bin/gettext exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/bin/gettext.sh exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/bin/ngettext exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/lib/libasprintf.so exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/lib/libasprintf.so.0 exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/lib/libasprintf.so.0.0.0 exists in filesystem
gettext: /usr/share/gettext/ABOUT-NLS exists in filesystem
root@porteus:~# 

Packages (3): perl-5.18.0-1  customizepkg-0.2.1-1  rsync-3.0.9-6

Total Download Size:    12.68 MiB
Total Installed Size:   42.26 MiB

perl-5.18.0-1-i686        12.4 MiB  1152K/s 00:11 [######################] 100%
 rsync-3.0.9-6-i686       242.8 KiB   896K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 customizepkg-0.2.1-...     2.6 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(3/3) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
rsync: /usr/bin/rsync exists in filesystem
--force argument worked well with both packages.

These games with portarch work even on 32 bit! :D

Thanks.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#24 by stifiling » 08 Aug 2013, 02:00

francois,

pacman absolutely can be put inside the original porteus. It's the way i started off. thing is though, when u try to install an app, something as small as even xterm.....pacman will install every single last dependecy that's needed to make xterm work. pacman will view the system as completely empty and will install every app, file, and lib that's necessary.....to make xterm work. These files are already present in the original porteus and don't need to be reinstalled. this is what causes the file conflict. pacman doesn't know this though. it knows you want xterm, and it knows it needs these 17 other files for xterm to run. it does not know that these 17 other files are already installed. it wants to install these files itself. It wants to put the arch linux files in, rather than use the slackware files, really.....because it doesn't even know that they are already there.

With that being said....just putting pacman in the original porteus, and using --force to overwrite everything, it won't be long before the system is broken. this one that i've uploaded is probably 95% already Arch Linux files. it's the last 5% that caused the couple file conflicts that we've seen and that's why they are safe to overwrite. It's safe to --force a few files, as it is here in this porteus-arch. but to --force overwrite the complete original porteus, I'm almost certain it will break.

It's best to start from scratch, and install the same apps as the original porteus. That's really the only way to be successful, is by doing it from scratch. Just sticking pacman in...it's just not going to work out the way you were maybe thinking it would. Take a look in the /var/lib/pacman/local....folder. You'll see there, these are all the apps that are installed by pacman, and this is how pacman knows these dependecies are already installed. this folder does not exist in the original porteus, even though those base apps are already installed...therefore.....pacman is going to reinstall all of those apps, and overwrite anything that's already there. Breaking the original porteus along the way.

If you really want to use pacman, and really want the layout to be the same as the original porteus, it has to be started from scratch. and i've given a headstart. still will be some work to get it set up exactly the way you want it, but the first thing to do would be deleting my default choice of apps and that is the 04-apps.xzm....

as far as /mnt/sda7 not being mounted at load time as it does in the original porteus.....if you take a look in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.4, line 18 'cp /etc/fstab.tmp /etc/fstab'.........if you delete that line, or comment it out, your internal and external drives should be mounted at start, in the same way that they are in the original porteus.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#25 by stifiling » 08 Aug 2013, 02:04

francois wrote:4.0 Installing yaourt customizepkg rsync to access and operate aur
yaourt isn't going to work yet. the /usr/include files are pulled out to help keep the iso size smaller. I have these files in a dev.xzm module along with yaourt and the rest of the base-devel.....jus give me a moment, and i'll upload it.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#26 by fanthom » 08 Aug 2013, 09:25

moved to 'Porteus Derivatives' section.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

deadsocket
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Post#27 by deadsocket » 13 Aug 2013, 01:57

Hello I am new to the forum (but not Porteus) and I found this project through a thread on the puppy linux forums.

I gave it a try on my Acer netbook and right away I have problems.

1) I have no clue on how to set up wifi. I expected clicking on wicd in the menu to do something, but nothing did.

2) I had to plug in a USB mouse as I knew the synaptics driver was needed, but I couldn't download and install it without internet.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#28 by francois » 13 Aug 2013, 02:39

Please read the whole thread. :) It is rather short.

1.0 You would have found one answer to your two questions. To get the touchpad working, in command line:

pacman -Sy
pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics 
2.0 Wicd is the wifi manager, the icon at the extreme right of the panel. You can also pick it up thru porteus panel menu > internet > wicd. Left click on it you should see your wifi network. If not give us the output in terminal mode of iwconfig and of rfkill list commands. If it is there just insert the password by clicking properties and click connect on your wifi network.

deadsocket
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Post#29 by deadsocket » 13 Aug 2013, 12:09

I know the solution to fixing the touchpad, but I had no internet.

how can I use wicd, if it never loads inthe first place.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#30 by francois » 13 Aug 2013, 15:27

Sorry, if I do not follow you. On my side, I have the impression that you do not follow me. Please give the requested information. :wink:
What is the result of:
You can also pick it up thru porteus panel menu > internet > wicd. You can also pick it up thru porteus panel menu > internet > wicd. Left click on it you should see your wifi network.
? Do you see your network?

And if you do not see your network, what is the output of:
give us the output in terminal mode of iwconfig and of rfkill list commands.
Example of output:

root@porteus:~# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Cherrier"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: E0:91:F5:A0:AC:B1   
          Bit Rate=48 Mb/s   Tx-Power=16 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=30/70  Signal level=-80 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:221   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

root@porteus:~# rfkill list
root@porteus:~#