Porteus/Arch aka Sensei (Porteus w/pacman package manager)

Porteus based on Arch with pacman package manager.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Porteus/Arch aka Sensei (Porteus w/pacman package manage

Post#91 by francois » 11 Apr 2014, 00:30

locate
This one is solved with:

Code: Select all

root@sensei:~# locate *.iso
locate: can not stat () `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db': No such file or directory
root@sensei:~# update db
bash: update: command not found
root@sensei:~# updatedb
updatedb: can not find group `locate'
root@sensei:~# 
and:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=45483
addition of this line to /etc/group:
locate:x:21:
8)

mc or midnight commander:

root@sensei:~# pacman -S mc
warning: mc-4.8.11-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1): mc-4.8.11-1

Total Download Size:    1.52 MiB
Total Installed Size:   6.41 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages ...
 mc-4.8.11-1-x86_64      1558.3 KiB  1672K/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) reinstalling mc                              [----------------------] 100%
root@sensei:~# mc
bash: /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh: No such file or directory
root@sensei:~# 
Seamonkey
I am unable to find where my files are downloaded. Misery. Oh god please give me back my google-browser. :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus w/pacman pm

Post#92 by stifiling » 11 Apr 2014, 02:20

this should be fixed in the current iso. but these two commands should work to get midnight commander working:

mkdir -p /usr/share/mc/bin
ln -sf /usr/lib/mc/mc-wrapper.sh /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh
by default seamonkey downloads to /root/Downloads
chromium is working for you isn't it?

in your grub menu.lst...can you change:

kernel /64bit_v30_arch/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/64bit_v30_arch changes=EXIT:/64bit_v30_arch/porteus login=root
to

kernel /64bit_v30_arch/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 from=/64bit_v30_arch changes=EXIT:/64bit_v30_arch/porteus
and see if it works...i'm thinking the save file name also has to be included.

here's my menu.lst entry

title Sensei Porteus 64
uuid a176a1c8-33aa-4fb6-b546-d9f261f8718d
kernel /boot/64/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 from=/porteus/64 changes=/porteus/64/porteus/porteussave.dat copy2ram
initrd /boot/64/initrd.xz
after figuring out how to get your changes to save...i'm almost certain the cinnamon desktop will load significantly faster.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#93 by francois » 11 Apr 2014, 12:48

save changes

It seems that porteus-arch functions only with save.dat container. Instructions to the bootloader:

changes=EXIT:/64bit_v30_arch/porteus/changes
after a reboot result in the creation of an additional changes folder, ie /64bit_v30_arch/porteus/changes/changes.

Thanks.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#94 by ncmprhnsbl » 11 Apr 2014, 23:18

cheatcodes: utc timezone=country/city , work no prob.

so... i've taken the path of loading the base modules(00,01,02) and building a gui from scratch..
trying to stay minimal, using openbox, spacefm-gtk2, udevil, tint2, lxterminal, etc..
avoiding gtk3, python, big stuff etc(probably a little pointless)
so no network gui so far...which is ok..(seems to be choice between python and gtk3)
some notes:
first i tried installing yaourt(then packer) and building spacefm-gtk2, but some dev tools seemed to be missing..
so i just ended up using makexzm on official packages, using tuxcmd as an interim file manager(almost converted me)
this was a bit haphazard and i ended up with a bunch of xzms,
which i then extracted them to a single (fake root)directory.

unsquashfs -f foo.xzm
>>> squash-root(any name can be specified) -f forces extraction to an existing dir.
then removed some stuff(man pages, doc, extra themes) and added configs.
i keep this uncompressed dir to tweak and install packages i find missing(forgot) as i test.
or packages built from AUR with my full arch install.(eg spacefm-gtk2)
ie put pkg.tar.xz(s) in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
pacman -Uddr /path/to/fakeroot /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*pkg.tar.xz
also to test a package(s) first, before commiting to my module:
pacman -Ud /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*pkg.tar.xz(if from AUR) or simply pacman -S package

then i made a firefox module by :
1 pacman -S firefox
2 no to install
3 this gives a list of deps + versions
4 searched my (installed)arch package cache
5 copied them to sensei cache and test installed
6 copied them to a dir and did arch2xzm
7 would be extract, strip and configure. recompress.(simpler to pacman -Uddr **)

then a media module with mpv and moc, using your original instructions..
hmm... no sound... alsa-utils package containing alsamixer and amixer fixed that(unmute)

was not getting my wacom tablet working correctly..usually works ootb...
installed the driver to 003xorg..
wacom kernel module loads according to lsmod ..
worked out needed to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
line43--- Option "AutoAddDevices" "true" -->was "false"

seem to need to 'pacman -Sy' twice because sensei repo never works first go

when using makexzm, if there is some temporary network problem, it carries on regardless,
leaving failed downloads out of module.

added cpupower for frequency scaling,
but its not necessary because porteus kernel has this already enabled.(laptop-mode-tools)?

what i would like is an 'activate' script, to load/unload modules on the fly.
need to understand the make/mounting loops part, i expect.
athough its quite easy to keep packages and their deps, and copy them to cache and install..or -Ud from where-ever
considering arch packages, being xz compressed are generally smaller than a module made from them ;)

sorry for long post :%)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#95 by stifiling » 12 Apr 2014, 08:13

all the cheatcodes 'should' work normal. i didn't make any changes to the linuxrc init script except for adding one line, line #205 which is:

echo $SGNDEV > /etc/sgndev
the only reason for doing that is to help make /mnt/home a symlink to your current installations /mnt/sd* drive. I like to have a /mnt/home folder because it's not guaranteed that on a usb flash drive installation, /mnt/sdb1 will always be where the flash drive gets mounted. it could be /mnt/sdc1 or /mnt/sdd1, etc. depending on the computer you usb booted. i like to 'symlink out' of the porteussave.dat file to other folders on the flash drive, that i don't want in the save file. primarily a Music and Pictures folder on an ntfs formatted flash drive. ntfs formatted because most ppl's computers are running Windows. If i want to simply listen to my mp3s on their installation of Windows Media Player, i can do it. so if i did a symlink to /mnt/sdb1/Music....and the drive number changes on the next computer to /mnt/sdc1/Music...my previous symlink will be broken. so rather than continuously redoing the symlink over and over each time i run into a computer w/multiple hard drives, or maybe someone has their own flash drive in a usb port (who am i to unplug it)....i symlink /mnt/home/Music to /root/Music. now i can easily access the mp3s from someone's Windows, or from my usb installation.
In a nutshell, rather your installation is installed on /mnt/sda1, /mnt/sda2, /mnt/sdb1, /mnt/sdc3...../mnt/home should always be a symlink to it.

do u like frisbee? i went back to wicd instead of frisbee because wicd ootb, imo is just easier. frisbee isn't hard, jus unfamiliar to most i'd assume. i like frisbee, as it works very well, and is very small. jus the unfamiliar aspect might make someone completely new to it think..."wth? i can't connect!!" and abandon the system w/o even giving frisbee the chance to finish scanning for the available networks. frisbee still works on the 32-bit and can be installed with pacman. it's in the senseirepo. i'll see if i can get it goin on the 64-bit and upload it to the repo if so.

are you using the 64 or 32-bit? if 64...yaourt is in the 006-devx64.xzm file...along w/the stripped out /usr/include files. if u're only using 00,01,02.xzm then 006-devx64.xzm has all the necessary files to compile from the AUR. if u're using 05-extraapps64.xzm also.....then 006-devx+extra64.xzm is the right one.

as far as the senseirepo doing strange things...i'll give it a lil while longer, and hopefully yesterday was just a bad day. if it appears to be jus outright problematic...i'll try to find another place to host it... and if that's not happening, i'll remove it from the default iso.

it's very useful though, and activatedeactivate is present in it. so if you do a:

pacman -S activatedeactivate

this installs those two original porteus scripts back into the system. If you downloaded one of the earlier isos it might not work 100%. I've got it fixed now and the fix was to overwrite /usr/bin/mount and /usr/bin/umount with /bin/mount and /bin/umount...from the original porteus. if you downloaded one of the earlier sensei 3.0 isos...i've made a number of adjustments since and that fix is one.

pacman -Sw firefox
will download firefox and all the needed deps. it does the same thing as `pacman -S` and picking no to install. could u give `makexzm` a try again, and see if it does better second time around? like you said, i think smthn with sourceforge and the senseirepo...blocked the action that time.

cpu-scaling is working on my machine also w/o any extra software. i enabled speedstep in my computer's bios and that's what turned it on. your cpu wasn't automatically scaling up/down until u added cpupower?

I just did a comparision of firefox.pkg.tar.xz downloaded with pacman...and one xzm'd w/makexzm the results are almost equal:

root@sensei:/mnt/home/temp# du -a
26800	./firefox.xzm
26436	./firefox-28.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
it's less than 400 bytes larger. that's my first time comparing the difference in the sizes and i'm pretty impressed.
Last edited by stifiling on 12 Apr 2014, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#96 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 09:47

@stifiling:
So no save of changes without a save.dat folder?

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#97 by stifiling » 12 Apr 2014, 09:57

francois wrote:@stifiling:
So no save of changes without a save.dat folder?
hmm...using a porteussave.dat file created using the porteus save file manager app, is the only way i've ever tried saving changes. u're wanting to use a changes 'folder' rather than a .dat save 'file' right? i'll test it out now, and see what i come up with.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#98 by stifiling » 12 Apr 2014, 10:49

it's working. looks like the changes folder gets created automatically so:

changes=EXIT:/64bit_v30_arch/porteus/changes
will result in changes being saved to /mnt/sd*/64bit_v30_arch/porteus/changes/changes

but:

changes=EXIT:/64bit_v30_arch/porteus
will save changes to /mnt/sd*/64bit_v30_arch/porteus/changes

i didn't make any changes to this or any other cheatcode whatsoever...it should be a duplicate behavior to how it is original porteus.

i see some other sensei specific things that need work though. if using copy2ram and /etc/init.d/unmount.....the unmounted boot drive isn't showing up in thunar.

i've got to look more at this and see about getting the sensei specific stuff to work around it....i may start using it this way. i've always used save files. save files makes backing up your system easy. but this save changes to path cheatcode is pretty nice. it's working though. i thought u said u got it saving to the changes/changes folder in the post a few above...

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#99 by ncmprhnsbl » 12 Apr 2014, 11:24

yeah 64bit..
as far as frisbee or any other such..i mostly use a wired connection and it works without any extras..so i,m
not to concerned atm.
as far as the senseirepo doing strange things...i'll give it a lil while longer, and hopefully yesterday was just a bad day. if it appears to be jus outright problematic...i'll try to find another place to host it... and if that's not happening, i'll remove it from the default iso.

yeah, don't do that. like i said, just -Sy a second time, and its fine..half the problem is probly my isp..
i'm in the bush via satellite..
thought i might have missed the dev module, by earlier iso, do you mean 32bit?
pretty sure cpu freq scaling was working already, i just assumed it wasnt and installed cpupower.
activatedeactivate ... good news, thanks
modules are definatly better as you can include configs
and sometimes make them considerably smaller than the original package
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#100 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 11:39

it's working. looks like the changes folder gets created automatically so:

I surely understood that. However, the save function does not work for me with cinnamon. Did you try to save some info without the save.dat file?
Last edited by francois on 12 Apr 2014, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#101 by stifiling » 12 Apr 2014, 12:51

ncmprhnsbl wrote:by earlier iso, do you mean 32bit?
i uploaded a newer iso 32 and 64 yesterday. after now trying the changes=/path cheatcode...i now see some more adjustments need to be made
francois wrote:However, the save function does not work for me with cinnamon. Did you try to save some info?
i tested w/xfce...i'll try now w/cinnamon

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#102 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 12:59

For me it use to work really fine under xfce.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#103 by stifiling » 12 Apr 2014, 13:09

i'm on the cinnamon now...it worked here too. it's not saving 'any' of your changes? if you create a folder on the desktop...and reboot, the folder doesn't come back?

it's gotta be smthn minor that's bein overlooked, for it to work on mines but not yours. would be nice if we could come across at least one more tester to leave their feedback regarding it (ncmprhnsbl?)

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#104 by francois » 12 Apr 2014, 13:19

Did you set something peculiar within cinnamon?

Maybe it is something wrong in my menu.lst entry.

stifiling
Contributor
Contributor

Post#105 by stifiling » 12 Apr 2014, 13:28

nothing..my grub entry looks exactly as above but instead of

changes=/porteus/64/porteus/porteussave.dat
i've got it

changes=/porteus/64/porteus
and the changes folder was made on my installation at /mnt/sda1/porteus/64/porteus/changes