Init Security Concerns...

Talk here about security in general. Posting illegals software is prohibited. All stuffs in this forum must be considered as for "Educational purpose only".
nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Init Security Concerns...

Post#1 by nanZor » 12 Apr 2019, 10:23

I think the most technically interesting and least dramatic pros and cons comes from a view from the outside - Benno Rice of FreeBSD about it. Of course BSD can't use it, but he is very interested in Cgroups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

Probably the most intelligent talk about it I've seen. Of course, some of us Porteus fans may also be full on Slackware fans accustomed to the bsd way of init - so this may be of interest.

My personal opinion is much like those expressed by Devuan. For me the biggest thing is the exlusivity - that is, our BSD friends coulnd't take a look at Porteus, get totally inspired, and create something like it themselves. Perhaps even sharing tips, tricks, and even code between teams. THAT is my biggest red-flag, and an indication that ok, anything systemd is just not unix, but something else. An "open source lock in" if you will. But that's just me.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth