Password

Talk here about security in general. Posting illegals software is prohibited. All stuffs in this forum must be considered as for "Educational purpose only".
Linus
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 4

Password

Post#1 by Linus » 02 Nov 2018, 19:49

I downloaded Porteus and flashed it onto a USB Flashdrive and booted the system.
I am very disappointed with it because i run stuck immediately.

WHY on earth does a live system have a password ?
It is not necessary there is no need for it what so ever.
This OS is complete crap because you can not add software packages.
I tried to add python3 (which should be on board but it's not) and i have to enter a password.
Don't tell me the password is this or that, the sheer inconvenience of it being there, for no reason, renders this OS utterly useless.
I haven't seen this before and normally i would not take the time to register on a forum and click email links to activate this account but.
WHY WHY is there a password ? a LIVE system should NOT have any password what so ever.
Please remove it and add Python3.
If not this project should die and fade into darkness because a LIVE system should not be password protected, PERIOD.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Password

Post#2 by Ed_P » 02 Nov 2018, 21:33

It's ok sweetie, we understand. Please post a link to the webpage where you found Porteus listed as a "LIVE" system.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Password

Post#3 by brokenman » 03 Nov 2018, 02:40

Thanks for your strong opinion Linus. I appreciate that you feel strongly about this point or you wouldn' have taken the time to register and post. I approved your post because I believe in free speech, but i have to say I disagree with you.

Porteus can most certainly work without having to enter a password as you wish. Other people prefer a user account with a password. It caters for a variety of users. Your opinion is valid but I think it is very narrow.

It would have taken less time and energy to just read the cheat code file and boot without a password wouldn't it?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Linus
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 4

Password

Post#4 by Linus » 04 Nov 2018, 09:01

You put a live cd and start working.
Simple as that.
Any obstacle in the way can be considered a nuisance.

It should be the other way around, as with many other (live) os, if you want a protected account, you can make one.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Password

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 04 Nov 2018, 12:55

for the benefit of anyone searching the forum for the default passwords(and coming across this topic)
login: guest
password: guest

login: root
password: toor
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Password

Post#6 by wread » 10 Nov 2018, 01:12

Hi, Linus!
I see you are new to Porteus. You must learn how to use it before you disqualify it.
I myself never type a password, as you are wishing...Find and edit /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg and add the cheatcode login=root to the run mode of your preference....My advice: keep reacting like that if you want to die young on a heart infarctus....

Live well!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!