Chrome Sandboxing

Talk here about security in general. Posting illegals software is prohibited. All stuffs in this forum must be considered as for "Educational purpose only".
Koss98
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.2.2

Re: Chrome Sandboxing

Post#16 by Koss98 » 05 May 2017, 20:13

@Evan

Yeah that's what I figured. On Ubuntu the Chromium sandbox works fine, and it makes sense that Windows and Linux have different implementations. Previously I just assumed that the sandbox runs in the browser and is platform-independent.

@neko

Thanks, I'll attempt that when I have the patience to figure out how to replace the kernel. I tend to stick to what works so I'm fine with what I'm using now, especially since I tend to screw up due to my carelessness and lack of expertise. Still, I know very little about kernel management and modifications, and it's good to know this is an option.

Evan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Distribution: *

Post#17 by Evan » 05 May 2017, 22:45

Koss98 wrote: I'm pretty paranoid about security, since I'm usually on unsecured wifi networks throughout the day.
It's a Catch 22 situation with Chrome as you have the extra security with the more aggressive Sandboxing yet Chrome is considered the least private of browsers with all the built in tracking and snooping.

Koss98
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 3.2.2

Post#18 by Koss98 » 08 May 2017, 18:31

@Evan

Maybe. It depends on the definition of security and how much you trust Google with the data they gather from you. In my case I'm not concerned so much with tracking or gathering of usage data, but getting hacked would be a pretty big no-no. Anyways I'm not using Chrome for the time being (except for Netflix).

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Chrome Sandboxing

Post#19 by nanZor » 04 Nov 2021, 01:50

A more recent extension (2021) if a javascript extension that isn't simply a blocker may interest some: Javascript Restrictor.

Full details on what it does, how it does it, how to test it - everything out in the open. Instead of just a blocker, an analogy is like a firewall for javascript api's. Network boundaries. Much more. Simple interface. All out in the open. GPL of course.

https://polcak.github.io/jsrestrictor/

I'm running it on Firefox too. (although some might see it as "JShelter").
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth