Porteus Media Centre Edition v2.0

A lightweight Porteus base with XBMC frontend
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus Media Centre Edition v2.0

Post#1 by brokenman » 31 Dec 2012, 19:44

I made this for my own use at home and thought others may find it useful. It is a lightweight Porteus install that boots directly into XBMC-11.0. XBMC is a full fledged media center with many options for managing your movies, music, media, programs etc. There are many addons available that can be downloaded directly through the GUI. Lots of good stuff including listening to radio, streaming TV etc.

I had trouble with pulse audio on my machine and have removed it from this edition. It can easily be added.

An upstream bug i noticed is that when you first start xbmc, the online repos do not respond fast enough and the repos are reported as broken in xbmc. A window pops up and asks if you want to disable them. Just say no and they will be updated successfully. You can setup your internet connection either through XBMC or by closing XBMC and connecting via the NetworkManager applet on the toolbar (bottom right).

This edition works best on writable media (ext3,4).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6868871/Porteus ... i486-1.iso 271Mb
The slackware version weighs round 1.2Gb. I can also provide a simple module that users can activate through Standard V2.0 porteus.

PS: Keep an eye out for the Porteus easter eggs in all the background graphics.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.