How to install Porteus on the same partition with Windows?

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
priusconf
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk 4.9

Post#1 by priusconf » 09 Dec 2019, 03:51

A quick 2019 update for newbies coming from windows... There are 2 ways pcs can boot: the newer "EFI" mode and the older "MBR" mode, typically chosen in the bios setup. Below is a trick I used to allow a MBR-mode windows10 laptop to dual-boot windows, or the Porteus-Kiosk.iso file on un-encrypted windows drive C, or drive-D for that matter: ntfs or fat32 drive-d. That is, the windows boot menu lets you boot windows, but also lets you choose to boot Porteus-Kiosk.iso file from the hard-drive (via EasyBCD's grub2), without any usb-stick or cd/dvd being needed.

Note: For EFI-mode, it seems not as easy to do, as EasyBCD can't do it, but seems as tho the slightly more complicated Grub2win is needed, and I haven't tried that yet.

A little background first...
If you have a windows-pc new enough that it came with windows10, windows usually requires EFI mode to boot. EasyBCD cannot add iso-files to the windows boot menu in this case. That is, If you install and run EasyBCD on such a pc, it says:
EasyBCD has detected that your machine is currently booting in EFI mode. Due to limitations set by Microsoft, many of EasyBCD's multi-booting features [i.e. grub2 and iso-file booting] cannot be used in EFI mode and have been disabled
If you have a pc that came with windows7 or earlier, even if updated to win8/10, it still likely boots windows in MBR mode, (that is, without EFI mode). And in this case, EasyBCD can add most Porteus live-cd iso files to the windows boot menu, I had to do some tricks below to get EasyBCD to boot Porteus-Kiosk.iso file on the internal HD/SSD, that is, without needing to burn a cd or use a usb-stick.

Using EasyBCD to add it to the menu, I then booted from the c:\Porteus-Kiosk-Cloud-4.9.0-x86_64.iso file, and could run the kiosk-wizard and save the custom Porteus-Kiosk.iso to a usb-stick. I copied Porteus-Kiosk.iso back to c:\ and added it as boot-item with EasyBCD. When I select it to boot from, grub2 loads the iso, and starts to boot (initrd or vmlinuz I think), but then displayed an error message something like "unable to find kiosk config", and counted down from 30 to reboot. (Not all iso files can be booted by EasyBCD/grub2, and I suspect this one cannot because it is a hybrid iso file. But it can be made to boot with a trick.

The trick to boot from the Porteus-Kiosk.iso works only if you can create a new1gig partition. (Note: an MBR disk can have only 4 primary partitions, and if you already have 4, there are ways to remove the first small "System Reserved" partition if you are not using bitlocker: see [https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409][/https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409]

You can shrink by 1gig (1000 mb) one of the existing partitions, like C-drive, In windows with disk manager: start -> cmd -> right-click "run as admin", diskmgmt.msc You can create a new 1gig partition as well.

Next, boot into linux, and be sure to correctly identify the partition number of the new 1gig partition (with fdisk -k /dev/sda or gparted): it might be any one of these: /dev/sda3, /dev/sda4, or /dev/sda5: just make absolutely sure you know which one identifies the empty 1gig partition cause the next step wipes it out!

Plug-in the usb-stick with Porteus-Kiosk.iso on it. It will likely mount at /mnt/sdb1 or /media/sdb1 or similar (use df -h to see where it mounted). Let us assume /media/sdb1/ in next step.

Open a terminal, and do these commands to clone the iso to sda3

Code: Select all

sudo su

dd  if=/media/sdb1/Porteus-Kiosk.iso   of=/dev/sda3
Shutdown, remove the usb-stick, and you should now be able to boot from the "Porteus-Kiosk.iso" file you added to windows boot menu with EasyBCD.
This trick may not be needed if Grub2Win is used instead of EasyBCD: I'll update this post once I have tried it.

BTW, EasyBCD no longer seems to be free since about version 2.4, but you may still be able to find a 2.3 installer. I have used it for years to add live-linux iso files to windows boot menu in a trivially easy manner. Even on new pcs using EFI, you can still create a "RECOVERY" usb-stick, and use EasyBCD to edit \boot\BCD on the usb stick. Then you can live-linux iso files to windows-boot-menu on the usb-stick: you just temporarily have to switch the boot mode in bios to non-EFI, and select the usb-stick to boot from. When done, go in bios and switch boot mode back to EFI so you can boot windows as usual from hard-drive.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further info if interested in trying this. I may put a more detailed howto up on github for example.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 09 Dec 2019, 06:16

I use Grub2Win on my Windows systems to boot many ISOs. No extra partition needed. But Secure Boot needs to be disabled on EFI systems. :)
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 15 Dec 2019, 13:29

You can also use grub2 directly to have dual booting. This could be done by installing popular linux distribution: debian, ubuntu, manjaro, ... . And then installing porteus directly into the partition of that other distribution.

See grub2 menu entry

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 15 Dec 2019, 15:12

But how does one install popular Linux distributions without overwriting the base Windows system? Grub2Win is a Windows based system so no problem using that approach.

And here are a few of my grub2 menu entries.

Code: Select all

menuentry " Porteus 4.0 ISO - AF" --class slackware   --class icon-porteus  {

set boot_parms="volume=33 reboot=cold $extramods "

search -f $iso --set=root
     loopback loop $iso
     linux  (loop)/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=$iso $boot_parms
     initrd (loop)/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
     }

menuentry " Porteus 4.0 USB - AF'" --class slackware   --class icon-porteus  {

set porteus_parms="volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=/Modules;/Modsavedat noload=save.dat;cinnamon"

set bootdrv=$root
     search -f /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz --set=root
     if [ $root != $bootdrv ]; then
        linux  /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz $porteus_parms
        initrd /boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
     else
        echo "----------------------------------------"
        echo USB drive NOT found.
        echo
        sleep -v -i 10
     fi
     set root=$bootdrv