How to append ACPI parameters to boot arguments?

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
kpv
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#1 by kpv » 10 Jun 2019, 18:31

I am trying to troubleshoot a (ACPI?) problem, where PK 4.8 doesn't correctly power-off the computer (which has an up-to-date Dell BIOS of Sep-2017) when selecting Shutdown (after pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del). The other options: Sleep (to suspend-to-RAM and resume) and Reboot apparently work correctly. Is it possible to append ACPI parameters (e.g. "acpi=noirq") to PK's initrd boot arguments?

I did some testing with TinyCore Linux 10 (kernel 4.19.10) on the same hardware: it boots in about 28" (compared to PK ~60"), and its GUI Shutdown correctly powers off the computer ... :%)

Strangely, I tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del -> Shutdown during running the Porteus Kiosk Wizard (having booted the Porteus-Kiosk-4.8.0-x86_64.iso from a USB stick) and it powered off the system correctly, just as TinyCore did! It also correctly detects the press of the Power button and brings up PK's [Shutdown/Sleep/Reboot/Cancel] window.

The Linux boot warning/error message I noticed (both in PK and TC and both when booting from USB and when booting from ssd) is:

Code: Select all

[        0.004397] do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
Thank you very much in advance for your help,
KP

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 10 Jun 2019, 19:23

Hello kpv,

Please use this parameter to append additional flags to the kernel:
https://porteus-kiosk.org/parameters.ht ... parameters

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.