Boot / startup time

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
kpv
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Boot / startup time

Post#1 by kpv » 23 May 2019, 16:39

Hello and thanks for a very interesting project!

Recently I experimented with creating a custom PK 4.8 build, mostly to improve FreeType font rendering (changed the config files under /etc/fonts and added some .ttf files under /usr/share/fonts). I changed 001-core.xzm (only under /etc/fonts) and 003-settings.xzm, added a custom 006-fonts.xzm (note: I didn't use PK's 06-fonts.xzm, but built my own ~9MB one). I also removed 004-wifi.xzm since I don't use Wifi.

Anyway, I've noticed that PK spends almost 45" displaying just the wallpaper at every bootup, before finally loading the homepage (in Chrome). So the overall time from powerup to a loaded homepage is 70+ sec ... The same system (dual-core, 4GB RAM and SSD) boots KDE Neon (Ubuntu 18.04 + KDE) in about half the time.

I wonder if PK re-building the font-cache (fc-cache) every time might be the culprit. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this boot time issue?

Thank you in advance.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Boot / startup time

Post#2 by fanthom » 23 May 2019, 19:47

Hello kpv,

Please boot stock ISO (no user made customizations) and check if kiosk start time is still slow.

1) If yes then please enable debug mode ('debug=yes' parameter) and after boot please send generated report to support@porteus-kiosk.org

2) If not then your custom changes must be causing this. I wont be able to help in this case.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

kpv
White ninja
White ninja

Boot / startup time

Post#3 by kpv » 23 May 2019, 20:14

Thank you for your quick response, I'll try and let you know.

I am also trying to troubleshoot a (ACPI?) problem, where PK 4.8 doesn't correctly power-off the computer (which has a Dell BIOS of Sep-2017) when selecting Shutdown (after pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del). However, the other options:- Sleep (suspend-to-RAM and resume) and Reboot work fine. Is there a way to pass "acpi=noirq" to PK?

I installed TinyCore Linux 10 (kernel 4.19.10) on the same hardware: it boots in about 28" (compared to PK ~60"), and GUI Shutdown correctly powers off the computer ... :%)

Edit: I just tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del -> Shutdown during the PK Wizard (after booting the PK.iso from a USB stick) and it powered off the system correctly, just as TinyCore (TC) did! It also correctly detects the press of the Power button and brings up PK's [Shutdown/Sleep/Reboot/Cancel] window.

The only Linux boot message I notice (both in PK and TC and both when booting from USB and when booting from ssd) is:

Code: Select all

[        0.004397] do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
Last edited by kpv on 23 May 2019, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

kpv
White ninja
White ninja

Boot / startup time

Post#4 by kpv » 23 May 2019, 21:21

kpv wrote:
23 May 2019, 16:39
I also removed 004-wifi.xzm since I don't use Wifi.
This seems to have caused at least a small delay of ~8 sec, because it's looking for files like regulatory.db and timing out, according to the debug log.

But still 20" are spent displaying the empty wallpaper (Openbox?) ...