Questions on some issues using Kiosk on a thin-client

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
CombinationTC
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#1 by CombinationTC » 22 Aug 2018, 17:45

Hello all,

I've "inherited" an Cisco VXC 6215 (rebranded Wyse) Thin-Client with the default software on it (slow as all heck).
I ain't no computer wizard but i managed to get Porteus Kiosk running on the device and it runs like a charm. :worship:
Unfortunately i am missing three crucial "functions" which prevent me from being able to actually use Porteus for my tasks.

The first thing is that the CTRL-key is behaving strangely in Citrix
I can use the CTRL-key for basic cut/paste/copy functions (CTRL + X, C or V) but as soon as i want to copy a value by holding CTRL and moving my mouse it doens't work.
For example; if i got a value in a cell in Excel and i want to copy that value to a different cell i can copy by using CTRL+C/V but not by holding CTRL and moving my mouse to the desired cell.

The second issue is when working with dual-monitors in Citrix
Porteus handles my dual-screen setup right from the box right the way i want to (extended desktop, mainscreen left, secondary screen on the right) even the resolution is perfect.
Unfortunately that dual-screen-setup only works on OS level but not in Citrix. The Citrix Receiver session cannot be extended to the second screen in any way. It maxes out at 1 full screen.
Is there any way to get the dual monitor setup to work in Citrix?

And lastly the final "issue" is that my Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo doesn't work in Citrix
On configuring Porteus through the configuration wizard i selected that i have a Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo directly connected (USB) to my thin-client.
I don't know how to test the DYMO straight from the OS but once in Citrix the DYMO software cannot find any compatible devices.

English is my second language so i hope i described the situation clear enough, if not please let me know and i will try to clarify the situation.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#2 by fanthom » 23 Aug 2018, 05:53

Hello CombinationTC,

1) I think you are using standard kiosk ISO and not the ThinClient one? Asking cause in standard kiosk certain key combinations and mouse gestures are blocked on the OS level to prevent messing with the browser. You should switch to ThinClient version where nothing is blocked.

See here for Citrix autostart:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/thinclient.htm ... ect_citrix

2) You will need a customized build with openbox recompiled without xinerama in order to stretch application window on two or more monitors.
I have requested an option to disable xinerama at runtime (so could add this option to the kiosk wizard) but got no response from the developers yet:
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6509

3) All USB devices should be passed to Citrix session by default. This is the case for removable usb sticks for sure (although it does not work well, at least usb is visible on the Citrix side).
Please boot Ubuntu live ISO (on any PC, not necessarily on your entry level Wyse TC), connect to your Citrix session and let me know if printer is visible there. If yes then perhaps some utility or configuration is missing in kiosk so i'll try to find out what it is and add it to Citrix component.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

CombinationTC
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by CombinationTC » 23 Aug 2018, 08:14

Hello Fanthom,

Yes, you are correct Sir! I am using the standerd Kiosk version and not the ThinClient one.
The main reason for that choice is that the regular Kiosk version starts a browser full-screen (which i can easily point to my Storefront).
And after enabling the Citrix Receiver in the configuration wizard i got where i wanted to end up (with mentioned issues).
This way a user starts the thin-client, waits for the Storefront logonpage and Citrix starts -> Done.
I just wasn't able to configure the ThinClient version in a similar way.

But reading your reply i switched back to the ThinClient version and tried auto-starting the Receiver through the commands on the page you linked.

Both

Code: Select all

run_command=su - guest -c "/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice --icaroot /opt/Citrix/ICAClient" &
And the command below which will autostart the Receiver without the taskbar didn't start-up the Citrix Receiver

Code: Select all

run_command=while true; do su - guest -c "/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/selfservice --icaroot /opt/Citrix/ICAClient"; done
I also tried using the ThinClient version without the autostart options with full persistence enabled.
This way i could start the Receiver and connect to my Storefront but unfortunately upon configuring i need to enter a username and password.
Doing this locks my ThinClient to a single user which makes the regular Kiosk version a better option to me.
Issues i got in the ThinClient version is that i cannot use my DYMO LabelWriter (I will let you know the outcome of the Ubuntu Live CD later on)

2) You will need a customized build with openbox recompiled without xinerama in order to stretch application window on two or more monitors.
Do i need a customized build no matter which version of Porteus Kiosk i choose? If so, you think it is possible to have the other issues resolved by a customized build as well?

Thank you for your Time Fanthom!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 23 Aug 2018, 08:39

"Do i need a customized build no matter which version of Porteus Kiosk i choose?"
Yes for openbox without xinerama.

"If so, you think it is possible to have the other issues resolved by a customized build as well?"
Yes for unblocking all keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures.

The remaining issue will be printer passthrough - waiting on your reply in this matter.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.