[Solved] Redirecting Blocked Pages

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
WPLtechstaff
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk

[Solved] Redirecting Blocked Pages

Post#1 by WPLtechstaff » 25 Jul 2017, 13:36

We are experimenting with Porteus Kiosk for our public catalog pages. Our catalog, which is accessible outside of these kiosks, has links to our social media pages and the like. When they are not on the whitelist, they are blocked as expected. However, all I get is a page with a padlock, indicating the page was blocked. Can I have this automatically redirect to the home page specified in the configuration? Or another page if possible. Thanks!

Solution is to manually install ProCon Latte into the ISO.
Last edited by WPLtechstaff on 26 Jul 2017, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Redirecting Blocked Pages

Post#2 by fanthom » 25 Jul 2017, 14:58

Hello WPLtechstaff,

For technical reasons this feature could be implemented only in a customized build (it requires 3rd party addon which we wont accept in default ISO).

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

WPLtechstaff
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by WPLtechstaff » 25 Jul 2017, 15:04

Thank you for your quick response. I am not very savvy with Linux specifically, but is there a guide on customizing the build to get that particular add-on set up?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 25 Jul 2017, 18:37

You are asking for impossible. I wont be able to create documentation for every single addon out there and keep it up to date.

You may follow generic guide up here:
Installing Firefox Add-ons

The addon which allows whitelist redirect is called 'ProCon Latte'.

Thanks

WPLtechstaff
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by WPLtechstaff » 26 Jul 2017, 14:21

Ah. I thought you meant an add-on for Porteus, but that makes more sense as an add-on for Firefox. The instructions in your link seem pretty straightforward so I will give them a shot. ProCon Latte is actually what we use now on our Windows machines that handle this task. We're looking at Porteus Kiosk so that we may purchase much less expensive and lower powered machines to replace them.

One thought I had was updating the whitelists with ProCon. If ProCon is to be the new whitelist manager as opposed to kiosk_config, I'll need to update it the same way I do with Windows, which is to say copy over mozilla.cfg to the install directory. Is there an easy way to copy an updated mozilla.cfg to the install directory of Firefox on these? I'm thinking SSH, but not sure how to access the files on my (Windows) system within it to copy to the clients. Also I see /usr/lib64/firefox is the install directory, is that the one for all users ("usr" makes me think it is just for the root user who is logged on to the SSH terminal session)?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 26 Jul 2017, 16:35

"Is there an easy way to copy an updated mozilla.cfg to the install directory of Firefox on these?"
Yes:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/parameters.html#run_command

"Also I see /usr/lib64/firefox is the install directory, is that the one for all users ("usr" makes me think it is just for the root user who is logged on to the SSH terminal session)?"
Yes - its for all users (kiosk has only one: guest).

Thanks

WPLtechstaff
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by WPLtechstaff » 26 Jul 2017, 16:45

Perfect! I had seen that run command when looking through the parameters initially but couldn't think of a use case. So I can basically have the kiosks pull the cfg file every boot.
its for all users
Okay good. Sorry I don't know much about the Linux file structure!

I will go ahead and mark this as Solved, as it appears I just need to follow the previous link to get ProCon installed to the ISO.