How to enable virtual keyboard extension

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
motc7777
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.3

Post#1 by motc7777 » 24 Jul 2017, 17:29

First of all I am fresh, brand new to Porteus KIOSK. I love it and have it installed. The problem is, I have viewed the following thread and have no clue how to enable the Virtual Keyboard extension in Chrome.

[Solved]Adding extensions to Chrome

I literally have no idea where to go, or now to add the ExtensionInstallForcelist? Is this a directory that I should be browsing to on the device where I have the KIOSK installed? If so, where do you get to the file structure? Reason why I ask is that it just boots right into the KIOSK software setup that I have. If I try to goto the Chrome store and install the extension it says it's blocked.

Any help is appreciated. This is driving me nuts. :wall: :wall:

EDIT: Can someone move this to the Porteus Kiosk section please? I thought I posted it in that section.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 25 Jul 2017, 07:05

Hello motc7777,

The thread you linked explains everything. You need to use 'browser_preferences=' parameter and add certain GPO policies to your file holding Chrome preferences.
Mind that extensions will work only when private mode is disabled.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

motc7777
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.3

Post#3 by motc7777 » 25 Jul 2017, 11:48

fanthom wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 07:05
Hello motc7777,

The thread you linked explains everything. You need to use 'browser_preferences=' parameter and add certain GPO policies to your file holding Chrome preferences.
Mind that extensions will work only when private mode is disabled.

Thank you.
Okay GPO applies to a device that is running Microsoft Windows. I am simply running the Porteus kiosk off of a thumb drive which is running off the Linux distro that it's written on. Therefore I do not see how Group Policy objects apply in this situation? As for the file holding my Chrome preferences my question is do you have to upload them to your own web server in order for this software to use it? Why can't this just be configured on the device itself?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 25 Jul 2017, 12:26

"Okay GPO applies to a device that is running Microsoft Windows."
Sorry - i meant Chrome policies and not GPO.

"As for the file holding my Chrome preferences my question is do you have to upload them to your own web server in order for this software to use it?"
Yes

"Why can't this just be configured on the device itself?"
Because kiosk is read only:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/index.html#3

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.