newb Questions

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
karanda
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

newb Questions

Post#1 by karanda » 01 Sep 2015, 17:10

Hi guys,

I am working at a university and on my initiative, we started using porteus kisok as our kiosk-software (previously windows 8 with some kiosk software ran totally laggy ...)
so performance is great now, but a few questions evolved:

About the master config:
- My colleague forgot to write down the device-id when installing porteus, is there a way to get the ID without reinstalling porteus?

- We don't use dhcp, can we configure the master config for each machine and asign the IP but not the dns-servers (which are the same)?
--> I think yes, we just have to use the line about the IP in the device's section and the dns-line in the master section, correct?

The trouble-stuff:
We use a touchscreen (I do not know make & model) that works over USB (and it works very smoothly :-) ) but we need it rotated (weird screen format ...), so we rotated the screen, which also works fine BUT the TOUCHSCREEN needs recalibration. I'm very sure this is possible, any quick hint for me would be great.

Sorry if any of this has been posted before (I'm pretty sure it was)
but an answer would be great.
If any information is needed be patient, I'm no longer at work now ...

best wishes,
Karanda

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: newb Questions

Post#2 by fanthom » 01 Sep 2015, 18:54

Hello Karanda,

My colleague forgot to write down the device-id when installing porteus, is there a way to get the ID without reinstalling porteus?
In version 3.4.0 you must boot base kiosk ISO -> navigate to the 'automatic updates' window in the wizard -> write down PC ID and shut down PC (if you dont want to reinstall the kiosk).
In "soon to be released" kiosk 3.5.0 if you have remote management enabled then PC ID is saved in /etc/version so you can copy it from there.

- We don't use dhcp, can we configure the master config for each machine and asign the IP but not the dns-servers (which are the same)?
--> I think yes, we just have to use the line about the IP in the device's section and the dns-line in the master section, correct?

I think you are referring to nested configurations:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/remote-management.html#nested
and the answer is YES - you can do it this way.

Unfortunately - nested configurations will work only with "soon to be released" kiosk 3.5.0

We use a touchscreen (I do not know make & model) that works over USB (and it works very smoothly :-) ) but we need it rotated (weird screen format ...), so we rotated the screen, which also works fine BUT the TOUCHSCREEN needs recalibration. I'm very sure this is possible, any quick hint for me would be great.
I think you just need to rotate the touch for the touchscreen device. Luckily its done automatically in "soon to be released" kiosk 3.5.0. If you need to perform recalibration then xinput_calibrator its also available in the 3.5.0 wizard:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/news.html#150830

Sorry if any of this has been posted before (I'm pretty sure it was) but an answer would be great.
BTW: Please post your next questions (if any) in relevant forum section:
Porteus Kiosk Edition

Thank you
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.