PKE 3.3.0 and the new release 3.4.0

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.3.0

PKE 3.3.0 and the new release 3.4.0

Post#1 by Debadr » 01 Jun 2015, 09:23

Hi,

I am using now the PKE 3.3.0 in about 15 pc's. Someone can tell me if the 3.3.0 version will be erased or not ? i made a lot of modifications one the ISO, and an upgrade will be difficult at the moment for us.
If yes the PKE 3.3.0 will be definitely erased then please when so i can inform my superiors.

Thank you.
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: PKE 3.3.0 and the new release 3.4.0

Post#2 by fanthom » 01 Jun 2015, 09:50

older release definitely wont be erased from your PCs.
i have no control over the kiosks installed by the users - this would be against our privacy policy:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/#4

i can only upgrade/downgrade kiosks when they are signed to the 'automatic updates' service. cant change their config or delete them.

btw: moving thread to kiosk section of the forum.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by Debadr » 01 Jun 2015, 13:54

Hi Fanthom,

I know that you have no control over my kiosks which totally normal :).

My question is, since the system download the second party of the wizard and may be some modules on the installation, are this resources will be erased someday ? (because from what i saw, there is some modification on the wizard / modules).

Thank you.
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat forever...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 01 Jun 2015, 15:03

ahh.. ok. such question would be less confusing for me:
"Someone can tell me if the 3.3.0 version will be erased or not from the kiosk server"

there is a number of clients who bought custom kiosk builds based on 3.3.0 release. custom builds can be installed on unlimited number of PCs so i must keep older components on the server. they will be available for everybody until i get tight with space (or bandwidth) on the server. dont worry - it wont happen anytime soon.

i used to delete old ISOs as they have known issues and vulnerabilities which i'm not going to support. new kiosk users should stick to latest kiosk version only.

Debadr
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by Debadr » 02 Jun 2015, 06:27

Sorry for the miss understanding, ok then, i'll inform my superiors about the new release.

Thank you Fanthom :)

cinmar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#6 by cinmar » 25 Sep 2015, 14:43

fanthom wrote:ahh.. ok. such question would be less confusing for me:
"Someone can tell me if the 3.3.0 version will be erased or not from the kiosk server"

there is a number of clients who bought custom kiosk builds based on 3.3.0 release. custom builds can be installed on unlimited number of PCs so i must keep older components on the server. they will be available for everybody until i get tight with space (or bandwidth) on the server. dont worry - it wont happen anytime soon.

i used to delete old ISOs as they have known issues and vulnerabilities which i'm not going to support. new kiosk users should stick to latest kiosk version only.
Hi fanthom, I bump this quite old topic because I was searching for infos about old versions of Kiosk Edition. As far as I understood old versions of Kiosk (3.2, 3.3 ...) are still on your server, but are only for custom build users, there is no way to install Kiosk 3.3 now? Every time a new version is released, old versions installation wizards do not work anymore?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 25 Sep 2015, 17:09

@cinmar
Every new kiosk release the old ISOs are deleted from the server. If for some reason you need to use the old ISO then just keep your own backups of kiosk releases.
Old ISOs will work as normal as all components are still kept on the server (wizard, initrdpxe.xz, modules, etc). The only difference is that you will get an warning during installation that new kiosk version is available for download.

Old releases are not supported. The reason is that i'm not going to spend my any time on resolving the bug X in kiosk 3.4.0 while its already fixed in kiosk 3.5.0.
If you need a help with older release then you must request a paid support.

Thank you.