Kiosk will not run from USB

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
TWalkerNM
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 RC1 / Kiosk 3.0

Kiosk will not run from USB

Post#1 by TWalkerNM » 31 Dec 2013, 07:59

The new Kiosk wizard here http://build.porteus.org/kiosk/ has an option to build USB/HD version which I assume is the Hybrid ISO version. I extracted it using Z-Zip onto my USB drive. I then attempt to boot from USB but it just redirects to Grub loader.

Does the http://build.porteus.org/kiosk/ tool eliminate the need to follow the directions here http://www.porteus.org/faq/kiosk-faq.html which describes the Hybrid ISO creation process?
The Kiosk Edition is released as a standalone ISO which can be burned as a live CD or DVD. Unlike the ISO's that we typically release for our Desktop Editions, however, the Kiosk Edition ISO cannot be installed directly to a flash drive or hard drive in its present state. In order to install to a flash drive or hard drive, you must convert the ISO to a "hybrid ISO" with the 'isohybrid' utility. This process can be automated through the use of the Kiosk Wizard, as described below. Please make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the isohybrid format before converting your custom Kiosk ISO to this format, as there is a bug affecting some BIOSes, described here.
My CD kiosk works fine but I need to get a working Hybrid ISO.

Thanks in advance for your response.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kiosk will not run from USB

Post#2 by fanthom » 31 Dec 2013, 09:05

hi TWalkerNM,

extracting the ISO is not ok - you need to burn it on USB as described in FAQ and kiosk web wizard:

Code: Select all

INFORMATION FOR HYBRID USERS
Please make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the hybridiso format before converting your custom Kiosk ISO to this format, as some BIOSes are subject to a bug as described here: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-live@lists.debian.org/msg07753.html. You can install hybrid image to a flash device or hard drive using the 'dd' command. For example:

dd if=porteus-kiosk-v2.1.1-i486.iso of=/dev/sdb

where 'dev/sdb' is the target device. Note that this will disable any other bootloaders, overwrite all existing data on this device, and it will not work if you specify a partition number (e.g. /dev/sdb1), as 'dd' must start writing to the Master Boot Record of the device itself. Once you've executed this command, the drive will be bootable; no further steps are required to complete the installation. Note that when you copy the ISO to a block device in this manner, you are copying the underlying filesystem of the ISO (iso9660) onto the flash device. This is a read-only filesystem, so in order to make changes to the kiosk software, you must remaster the ISO and reburn it. While this may sound like more work than customizing an installation in place, utilizing this method enhances the security and stability of the kiosk edition, preventing unauthorized manipulation of the system components. 
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

TWalkerNM
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by TWalkerNM » 31 Dec 2013, 09:21

Ok thanks for your response. I have attempted this since I last posted and I cannot get the dd command to work mainly because I cannot figure out what the path is to my target device.

Example: dd if=porteus-kiosk-v2.1.1-i486.iso of=/dev/sdb

My USB device is listed as /media/USB 8GB as far as I can see. (I am using Linux Mint 13)

So my command line should look like this right?

"dd if=porteus-kiosk-v2.1.1-i486.iso of=/media/USB 8GB"

Or should it be something else? I have worked for hours on this and I dont understand the difficulty. Are there any workarounds in Windows to accomplish this?
Working in the terminal is very frustrating.

Thanks for your help.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#4 by donald » 31 Dec 2013, 13:34

@TWalkerNM
open a root-terminal and type in fdisk -l
it will show you..

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#5 by fanthom » 01 Jan 2014, 05:58

you could also run:

grep /media /proc/mounts
or

grep /dev/sd /proc/mounts
if you still wont get satisfied result (needs sudo or other magic?) then please ask Mint devs how to get device paths in their OS (i'm not familiar with it)

TWalkerNM
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by TWalkerNM » 01 Jan 2014, 23:39

I believe the correct path was /dev/sdb as stated in the instructions under various distros.
Unfortunately I always get "permission denied" or it seems to be working and nothing ever gets written to the USB device.
I have spent many hours and must move on to another kiosk solution. Each step with Porteus Kiosk takes me too long because of command line work.
It is too bad because as a CD/DVD product it works exactly like I need it to. I do not understand the ISO Hybrid difficulties and there should be another way to convert the ISO to work to a USB drive.

I considered paying someone to do the work and in fact posted it on ODesk for $150 dollars. One simple dd command is holding back my project. Once I see the ISO Hybrid works I can make a few mods to the kiosk and be done but it must work from a USB drive.

I have to give up on the dd command myself, but is there any other way besides dd for me to get this done? Is there any way at all to take the ISO and get it work on a USB/HD? I need another solution if I am to move forward with Porteus Kiosk.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 02 Jan 2014, 05:22

burning hybrid ISO images to usb is very easy. no need to pay anyone for this.
please have a look on this article which covers this topic for Linux and even Windows:
http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/06/ubuntu ... mages.html

i believe in your case it will be enough to use:

sudo dd if=porteus-kiosk.iso of=/dev/sdb
under Mint but please make sure that your usb is really /dev/sdb.

TWalkerNM
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by TWalkerNM » 03 Jan 2014, 04:28

Thank you for your help and I am sure it is easy once one knows how.

For now I am giving "Just Browsing" a try. It is also a Linux based browser kiosk type option.

If I come back to Porteus Kiosk I will post here.