Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
flender
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk edition

Re: Porteus Kiosk Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

Post#16 by flender » 09 Jan 2014, 13:35

It's good, my screen resolution problem is solved !!

I have try a other resolution in the wizard such as 640x480 instead of 640x400 and it work's now :D

Thanks !

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#17 by fanthom » 09 Jan 2014, 14:12

yes - resolution must be valid and from linked raport i see that you can use 3 modes on your PC:

Code: Select all

LVDS1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 285mm x 214mm
   1024x768       59.9*+   60.0     50.0 
   800x600        60.3     56.2 
   640x480        59.9
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

sgrunt
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Mint

Post#18 by sgrunt » 10 Jan 2014, 11:03

Hi,
about Realtek RTL8111B/8111C driver:

- I've booted many distro and none works (screen trouble, freezing, no network... :wall: ), the hardware is a NEC US300B, originally equipped with XP Embedded :evil:

- You suggested "....show me output of 'lspci -knn' command so i can track the kernel module which supports it" but I find this:

http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... rnet-card/

...and may be the solution...

Thanks.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#19 by fanthom » 10 Jan 2014, 15:26

@sgrunt
bad news after reading linked howto:
i wont be able to provide solution for you as i cant blacklist r8169 driver in kiosk. it would solve the issue for you but make network unavailable for 100+ other people.
sorry about that.

sgrunt
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Mint

Post#20 by sgrunt » 11 Jan 2014, 22:36

fanthom wrote:@sgrunt
bad news after reading linked howto:
i wont be able to provide solution for you as i cant blacklist r8169 driver in kiosk. it would solve the issue for you but make network unavailable for 100+ other people.
sorry about that.
I see this in the linked howto comment:

Most of these solutions are fine for systems with a single ethx. I have an onboard and a nic. The onboards needs the r8169 and the nic needs the 8168. what to do? This is a server BTW and the onboard is WAN, the nic LAN. netools sees it, and it passes a few packets, but no ip number and status shows link=no

Well, than you can just try to not blacklist the r8169. Normally this should go fine!
So, install the 8168, as mentioned in the Tutorial above and leave the “blacklisting” part out so that both are getting loaded while your system is booting.

About you, is possible to provide this solution and ask someone that use the r8169 to test network???

Thanks.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#21 by fanthom » 12 Jan 2014, 20:04

@sgrunt
could you install porteus standard edition (make sure you include 05-devel.xzm) then build custom realtek driver for your NIC and check if it works? i want to make sure that this is the solution we are looking for.

if you manage to do it then please upload your whole /lib/modules folder somewhere and i'll check if compiled driver does not conflict with r8169 which i have.
also - while in porteus standard edition please run mentioned 'lspci -knn' command and show me the output.
thanks

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#22 by sanzi » 14 Jan 2014, 09:06

In the Porteus Kiosk Web Wizard I can't find the Hungarian Kayboard Layout. If I remember correctly, it was in the previously version of Kiosk. I would like to try the new version, but I need the hungarian keyboard support. Thank so much!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#23 by Hamza » 14 Jan 2014, 20:18

Just added few keyboard layouts to Kiosk Web Wizard. Thanks for feedback.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

allen.puckett
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: ubuntu

Post#24 by allen.puckett » 16 Jan 2014, 04:22

Hi Guys,

I'm new as of today. This kiosk is awesome and the building app is really impressive. I just need to install this on a hard drive and the posts are not very clear as the steps. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. My Linux experience is weak but maturing.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#25 by fanthom » 16 Jan 2014, 07:51

hi allen.puckett,

installation instruction is provided at the end of wizard, let us know if something is not clear.

Code: Select all

NFORMATION FOR HYBRID USERS
Please make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the hybridiso format before converting your custom Kiosk ISO to this format, as some BIOSes are subject to a bug as described here: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-live@lists.debian.org/msg07753.html. You can install hybrid image to a flash device or hard drive using the 'dd' command. For example:

dd if=porteus-kiosk-v2.1.1-i486.iso of=/dev/sdb

where 'dev/sdb' is the target device. Note that this will disable any other bootloaders, overwrite all existing data on this device, and it will not work if you specify a partition number (e.g. /dev/sdb1), as 'dd' must start writing to the Master Boot Record of the device itself. Once you've executed this command, the drive will be bootable; no further steps are required to complete the installation. Note that when you copy the ISO to a block device in this manner, you are copying the underlying filesystem of the ISO (iso9660) onto the flash device. This is a read-only filesystem, so in order to make changes to the kiosk software, you must remaster the ISO and reburn it. While this may sound like more work than customizing an installation in place, utilizing this method enhances the security and stability of the kiosk edition, preventing unauthorized manipulation of the system components. 

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#26 by sanzi » 22 Jan 2014, 12:45

I try to install to some our PC the new Porteus Kiosk 3.0 edition, but my WiFi card not work. My WiFi card has got these specification:
TP-Link TL-WN422G
Chipset: Atheros AR9002U
Chip 1: Atheros AR9271
I check the wifi details, so those certain correct. In Porteus Desktop 2.1 version and in Porteus Kiosk 2.11 version this wifi card works perfectly.

update: I boot from Porteus Desktop 2.1 version from CD and connect to my Wifi network manually. Everything works perfectly. I reboot my system from Porteus Kiosk 3.0 version from hard drive, and the WiFi connect works! But if I reboot the computer again, not work. Who understand that?

update2: I boot from Porteus Desktop 3.0 version from CD, and I can connect to my Wifi network manually. Why the Kiosk version not work?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#27 by fanthom » 22 Jan 2014, 13:44

@sanzi
I reboot my system from Porteus Kiosk 3.0 version from hard drive, and the WiFi connect works! But if I reboot the computer again, not work. Who understand that?
maybe wifi driver needs more time to initialize. please check out this solution and let me know if it worked for you so i'll add more sleep by default:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 197#p21126

thanks

sanzi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#28 by sanzi » 23 Jan 2014, 09:28

I modified the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S-inet and /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S-inet files content. sleep 3 to sleep 60, and not worked.

p.s.: If the 60 seconds elapsed the first Firefox tab not work. But if I close the current Firefox and open a new one the WiFi connection will be good. So, can I daley the Firefox open time at the first boot?

p.s.2: I put back the original release (with sleep 3). The computer boot, wifi network not working. Elapsed 30 seconds and I close the Firefox manually, the new Firefox tab works! The old Firefox tab can not connect to the network, however 30 seconds elapsed.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#29 by fanthom » 23 Jan 2014, 12:51

If the 60 seconds elapsed the first Firefox tab not work. But if I close the current Firefox and open a new one the WiFi connection will be good. So, can I daley the Firefox open time at the first boot?
yes - this is what i'm going to do, please give me a day or two to update the ISO on the server. also - will probably display some information that network is initializing, need to test it first.

thanks

RickG
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3

Re: Porteus Desktop Edition 3.0 rc1 bugs/feedback thread

Post#30 by RickG » 24 Jan 2014, 13:30

I have been looking for a kiosk solution for thin client terminals. They are starting to become plentiful now that XP is on its way out. I have found that most would boot from usb, but I wanted something that would boot from intermal flash. In this case, the smaller the better and Porteus Kiosk fits the bill. I tried version 2 and it works great on HP T5730 and even plays flash, albeit sluggishly. What surprised me was that I could not get it to boot on HP T5740 which a much better machine (atom). I spent the better part of the day trying to get it to boot to no avail. I tried different builds, different thumb drives and internal flash, no go. Oddly, I burned a cd and booted with usb cdrom and it worked.

Then I realized that the rc is out for 3.O and I decided to give it a go. First of all the build page is great! I tried it late last night and it did not work but this morning it spit out an iso almost instantly. The only thing that was curious is that the md5sum shown on the web page did not match the hash I got on my image. Best of all though, the 3.0rc1 boots on the HP T5740! I will be testing it out!

Thanks! for a great build! :D