Narrowing a computer's capabilities shrinks the market

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
notadonut
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: PeppermintOS

Narrowing a computer's capabilities shrinks the market

Post#1 by notadonut » 04 Oct 2013, 19:13

Porteus kiosk causes me to imagine the capabilities of having a machine that can earn money. The features that help immunize my computer against viruses and modifications made by customers would no doubt save me a lot of maintenance headaches. But the less solutions a computer offers to a customer the consequently more limited its usefulness.

How many people only want to surf a few websites, send webmail, browse the web, but not save, print or type any documents? Is the market for computer kiosks everywhere, or just in busy airports?

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Re: Narrowing a computer's capabilities shrinks the market

Post#2 by donald » 04 Oct 2013, 19:52

Porteus kiosk is not a product sold by a company for a market.
It is given to you for free.
If you do not like it, modify it, or create your own

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 04 Oct 2013, 20:51

kiosk was designed for niche market and was never intended to be used by the normal users (we have desktop editions for this task). i would be careful with deploying it to the masses as i doubt in the success.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 05 Oct 2013, 18:51

How many people only want to surf a few websites, send webmail, browse the web, but not save, print or type any documents?
I would say around 95% of public internet users ... and I've run an internet cafe before.
Is the market for computer kiosks everywhere, or just in busy airports?
Oh it is everywhere. But the serious places (you did mention the words market and money) pay for kiosk software to monitor, control and regulate users.

I have set porteus kiosk up on many 'public access' computers and at one stage ran an internet kiosk which is what prompted the first kiosk edition. If you allow saving of ANY type of file onto a public system you will regret it eventually. Porteus Kiosk was designed (as fanthom mentioned) only for public access terminals. You mention a machine that makes money which means you are going to need some monitoring software (otherwise you won't know how long each user used the system for) among other things. Clearly Porteus Kiosk is not the solution for you.

In reality people want a non-restricted public computer where they can download stuff, plug in there digital camera, upload photos to social media websites and basically do what they can do at home. In reality this is a nightmare for admins.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#5 by wread » 06 Oct 2013, 01:03

Every bank has one everywhere....view your balance...
Spare retailers for database viewing....
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!