Porteus Kiosk Edition v2.1 feedback

Share your opinion about Porteus Kiosk Edition.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
stainsby
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 Kiosk Edition

Re: Porteus Kiosk Edition v2.1 feedback

Post#16 by stainsby » 06 Dec 2013, 20:20

Many thanks for sending the .config file - I was able to compile the needed fs kernel modules. I also needed to use a more beefy version of busybox. Now I can mount/read/write/format drives :-)

aphoid
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#17 by aphoid » 11 Dec 2013, 20:55

Just found Porteus after looking for several months for an easy-to-setup Kiosk browser. Thanks for creating such a useful and easy to make piece of software!

I have a few tiny suggestions.
  • It would be slightly easier if the default button for changing the root, guest, and firefox passwords was the <No thanks > button
  • All of the <No thanks > buttons appear to have an extraneous space character after the "s"
  • There's a typo on the CHANGE FIREFOX PASSWORD screen. It reads "you will need to two extract, modify..." I think that should be "you will need to extract, modify..."
  • It would be useful if it was documented how to get Firefox to startup with multiple tabs. separating the URLS with pipes and no spaces seemed to work for me. e.g.:

Code: Select all

http://www.porteus.org/|http://google.com
  • It would be nice if the model "dd" command for burning the iso remained on the screen after finishing with the Wizard, rather than disappearing off the top of the screen when the Wizard finishes.
Again, thanks for this! Great job.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#18 by fanthom » 11 Dec 2013, 23:08

hi aphoid,
It would be useful if it was documented how to get Firefox to startup with multiple tabs. separating the URLS with pipes and no spaces seemed to work for me
will do - thanks for suggestion.

good news: other points from your list are not relevant anymore as we are working on web version of kiosk wizard similar to http://build.porteus.org/ which hopefully will be ready for next kiosk release.
kiosk ISO will be created directly on our site which should eliminate some problems which were unresolvable with dialog version of the wizard.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

aphoid
Ronin
Ronin

Post#19 by aphoid » 12 Dec 2013, 05:03

fanthom wrote:... we are working on web version of kiosk wizard ...
Cool. One minor concern though: I am setting up kiosk(s) which use WiFi connectivity, and I am not willing to enter the SSID/Password into a remote site. I suspect others might have similar concerns.

A couple of other suggestions that came to mind:
  • It would be nice if WiFi could scan for open networks. This is low priority, as I think most kiosks are set up where the creator has control over everything, but it could be useful in situations where one is feeling truly paranoid and wants to access the web from their own personal machine without risking/mounting their own HDs.
  • When I tested with my Thinkpad X120e (w/AMD E-350 APU), it didn't seem to have audio support. I saw another thread where there were mentions of this issue with A10 APUs and the Desktop Porteus, but I didn't investigate further. (Audio worked fine in a Parallels VM on my mac in testing.)
  • I guess it isn't possible to let it automatically update Firefox on a USB install without re-creating the ISO, right? Is the auto-update of Firefox disabled so it won't prompt the user?
  • I saw somewhere else that someone had suggested a Raspberry Pi version. That seems like an excellent idea for an ultra-cheap web kiosk.
I had been looking for a tool like Porteus Kiosk for a while. Thanks again! I love that I can spin up a new custom kiosk in less than 10 minutes.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#20 by fanthom » 12 Dec 2013, 06:06

I am not willing to enter the SSID/Password into a remote site.
every option in the wizard can be skipped. if there is more users with similar concerns then i'll provide a tutorial how to add these data to the kiosk manually
It would be nice if WiFi could scan for open networks.
rather not as script would not know which one to choose when there is more in range
When I tested with my Thinkpad X120e (w/AMD E-350 APU), it didn't seem to have audio support.
probably HDMI card become default. such issues will have to be resolved by the users manually i'm afraid as it's too many scenarios to cover for the wizard
Is the auto-update of Firefox disabled so it won't prompt the user?
yes
I saw somewhere else that someone had suggested a Raspberry Pi version.
maybe in the future :)

thanks a lot for your feedback
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.