Bootable USB ISO will not boot on Thinkpad E14

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
tsbc
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 5.0

Post#1 by tsbc » 17 Sep 2020, 21:56

Hello,

I'm trying to image Porteus Kiosk 5.0 on a Lenovo Thinkpad E14 (AMD Ryzen 5) and it will not boot properly to the setup wizard.

I used Rufus on a Windows 10 device to write the ISO with DD mode on a Kingston DataTraveller 16GB using FAT32, MBR and the default cluster size. I then disabled secure boot in the Lenovo BIOS for it to accept booting from the USB drive. It will show the Porteus Kiosk splash screen, then go to black screen instead of proceeding normally to the First Run Wizard. Nothing happens and the screen stays black even after waiting 30 minutes, and I've tried it with multiple restarts to no avail.

Oddly enough, this USB stick will boot on a Toshiba R940, Z30, and the slightly older Thinkpad E495. I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the Thinkpad E14 being the new 4000 Series Ryzen 5 chipset, and that I'll need assistance with a paid custom build. If anyone can lead me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 18 Sep 2020, 10:22

Hello tsbc,

"I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the Thinkpad E14 being the new 4000 Series Ryzen 5 chipset, and that I'll need assistance with a paid custom build."
I believe that you will need a custom build with newer kernel to get this hardware to work with kiosk.

Please contact support@porteus-kiosk.org and I'll provide debugging ISO so we could be sure.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.