[porteus-kiosk 4.9.0] System does not boot after 'Burn kiosk ISO on selected device' [Solved]

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
tagon
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus-kiosk

[porteus-kiosk 4.9.0] System does not boot after 'Burn kiosk ISO on selected device' [Solved]

Post#1 by tagon » 07 Nov 2019, 14:51

With Porteus-Kiosk 4.9.0, the built-in "Burn kiosk ISO on selected device" succeeds, but then the kiosk device does not boot.

Affected kiosk systems (x86_64 with touchscreen):
  • ASLAN-W719 device (configured for legacy boot)
  • DFI-AL051 (EFI configuration).
This works:
  1. "Save kiosk ISO on removable device" on a USB stick with another Linux distribution (e.g., Porteus-Desktop)
  2. boot the kiosk system(s) into a live system from this USB stick
  3. use "dd if=/path/to/porteus-kiosk.iso of=/dev/the_flash_device bs=16M" to write the ISO to the flash disk of the kiosk system
As far as I understand, the "Burn kiosk ISO on selected device" mechanism is also required for remote configuration updates (at least with the standard mechanism).
Last edited by tagon on 11 Nov 2019, 09:59, edited 2 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

[porteus-kiosk 4.9.0] System does not boot after 'Burn kiosk ISO on selected device'

Post#2 by fanthom » 07 Nov 2019, 19:11

Hello tagon,

Seems the GRUB bootloader is to blame as isolinux works (its used for initial booting and when you save the ISO on removable media, burning with wizard switches the bootloader to GRUB).

Unfortunately its not possible to fix this issue remotely so you would need to ship the hardware to me.
If this is not an option then please try booting Ubuntu on these PCs and check if it works.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

tagon
White ninja
White ninja

[porteus-kiosk 4.9.0] System does not boot after 'Burn kiosk ISO on selected device'

Post#3 by tagon » 08 Nov 2019, 11:32

Hello fanthom,

Interesting detail, thanks for letting me know! (So it's not a 'sync' issue, e.g. when using 'cat' instead of 'dd'.)

Sorry, shipping a device is not an option. From our tests I know for sure that Ubuntu 18.x works fine on the DFI-AL051.
As I am not at work at the moment, earliest Monday I could check if it also boots from the ASLAN-W719 built-in flash disk.

Hm... I need to check if the platform boots, when writing a new ISO image via SSH from within a running PK instance. :-)

Thanks & regards,
Hagen

tagon
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by tagon » 11 Nov 2019, 11:41

tagon wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 11:32
Hm... I need to check if the platform boots, when writing a new ISO image via SSH from within a running PK instance. :-)
Verified: this works:
  • copy a new ISO image with scp into /root (= in RAM)
  • use 'dd' to write it into the boot device (e.g., /dev/sda)
Nice! Saves a few steps during development. :-)

Our Aslan platform unfortunately does not properly 'reboot' (it halts, then you need a power cycle to reboot).
But this is not a porteus-kiosk issue, Ubuntu and other distributions behave the same.

tagon
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by tagon » 28 Apr 2020, 14:03

Today I found a way to reboot the ASLAN-W719 platform (using Kiosk 5.x).
It is a little weird, because everything else - reboot, reboot -f, init 6 - did NOT work.

This finally did the trick:

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.d/rc.6
Even weirder: the rc.6 script does a lot of cleanup and uses 'reboot' at the end...

Added: Funny enough, this method does NOT work with Porteus Desktop 5.x. (Ubuntu also has problems and does not reboot the platform.)

Edit: typofix, mention PK5 is current platform
Last edited by tagon on 28 Apr 2020, 14:51, edited 3 times in total.

tagon
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by tagon » 28 Apr 2020, 14:06

@fanthom: Sorry, could not find how to edit the post topic to add [Solved] at the start of the subject line - how do I do that?
On the other hand - this solves _only_ the problem of non-rebooting, not the complete Burn kiosk ISO and reboot.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#7 by fanthom » 28 Apr 2020, 14:59

tagon,

You need to edit the title of the first post in this thread.
Just did it for this thread.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#8 by Ed_P » 28 Apr 2020, 16:30

FYI Users can not edit postings older than 2 or 3 weeks.
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 29 Apr 2020, 10:44

I'm not sure if this is a good idea.
Anyway - good to know.

tagon
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by tagon » 05 May 2020, 12:20

fanthom wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 10:44
I'm not sure if this is a good idea.
Anyway - good to know.
Well, the problem when trying to debug this is that Porteus Kiosk runs almost completely from RAM (except the persistent partition), so there are no shutdown logs to check for a possible reason why the reboot does not work. Or is there an option to redirect all logs to a persistent partition?

tagon
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by tagon » 05 May 2020, 12:20

Ed_P wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 16:30
FYI Users can not edit postings older than 2 or 3 weeks.
At least now I know why I could not change it (the 'edit' button was missing).

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#12 by Ed_P » 05 May 2020, 17:56

The limit is to stop SPAMmers from posting innocent postings then returning a week or two later and editing the text to include links to their site or sites. It also stops disgruntled members from deleting their old postings.
Ed