Wifi problems on recent laptops

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
emailhh
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 3.1.2

Post#1 by emailhh » 19 Oct 2018, 12:22

I wrote about this topic about a year ago, and was at that time at least in part able to solve the problem by customizing the Porteus Kios ISO. I was not very confident about what I was doing that time, though...

Now that I updated to version 4.7.0, similar problems appeared again: e.g. several quite recent Macbook Pro (?) laptops failed to get a wifi connection. I am hesitating to again try to customize the ISO.

Since Apple laptops are fairly popular, I suppose having wifi problems on them could be categorized even as a "bug", so I posted this here. Hopefully the maintainer(s) of Porteus Kiosk can at some point test with Apple laptops, too.

Unfortunately the setting where these problems occurred did not allow me to record any debug information. But the problem should be easy to reproduce by trying on some recent Apple laptop models.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 19 Oct 2018, 13:33

Hi emailhh,

Sorry but i'm not going to pull any proprietary drivers to kiosk. Hardware vendors must start treating linux seriously and create opensource drivers (firmware can stay closed).
If Broadcom does not want to increase their sales - thats their problem.

The only solution is the customized build with 'broadcom-sta' driver, same as before.

Wont fix.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

emailhh
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 3.1.2

Post#3 by emailhh » 19 Oct 2018, 21:09

Ok, I see. Thanks for clarifying why the problem has been (and probably will be) persistent.