Touchpad Not Working on ThinkPad 11e Laptop

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
jeffgeno
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk 4.6.0

Post#1 by jeffgeno » 10 May 2018, 18:36

The current version of the Kiosk Edition does not support the trackpad on some computers. I have a batch of ThinkPad 11e devices, some are newer type 20GA and some are slightly older type 20D9. The touchpad does not work on the 20D9 laptops. The touchscreen works correctly on both and an external mouse works just like it should. It's just the touchpad and just the 20D9 model.

I mistakenly added a response in the non-Kiosk section of the forum about this problem. I followed the link there to the newest Porteus release and found that everything is working correctly on that. Will the Kiosk Edition be updated to the latest 4.0 Porteus release soon?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 10 May 2018, 18:46

Hi Jeff,

I have added missing config options to the kiosk kernel. Will be available in next push to 'automatic updates' channel (about 10 days from now) so you could enable 'free trial' and check if your trackpad starts working.
If yes then all should be good in next public kiosk release: 4.7.0 (probably during the summer). If you need this earlier then either sign your kiosks to full 'automatic updates' or buy a customized build with updated kernel.

BTW: Porteus Kiosk is independent from Porteus Desktop.

I have deleted your first post in other thread.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

jeffgeno
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by jeffgeno » 17 May 2018, 14:15

Thanks. I'll try to enable automatic updates next week to see if it fixes the issue.

jeffgeno
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by jeffgeno » 12 Jun 2019, 20:11

We ended up not using the models without the working trackpad for a year, but I've needed to circle back to this one.

The trackpad did not work with either release 4.7.0 or 4.8.0. However, if I sign up for the automatic updates trial, it does work after the update. So there's still something coming in the updates that fixes it.

Is it possible to disable the automatic updates without reinstalling the system? If I reinstall, I'll be back at the software version without the working trackpad.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 13 Jun 2019, 06:16

Hello jeffgeno,

You can:

a) wait till new public kiosk release is out (probably October)
b) use free trial till it expires (you'll need to reinstall the system then)
c) buy updates subscription
d) buy customized build with latest updates

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.