Context menu in Chrome on long press

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
landmaj
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Debian

Context menu in Chrome on long press

Post#1 by landmaj » 28 Jan 2017, 20:18

There is an option in Wizard to disable right click and it should stop user from accessing contex menu. However it still appears if you long press / click. (I'm trying it in VMware Workstation 12 Player). It's problematic for two reasons - I don't want users to click where they shouldn't and it interferes with virtual keyboard extension for Chrome.

I would be grateful for fix or some help. I would fix it myself if I knew how. :(

P.S. I should probably mention I tried both on my modified ISO and on untouched stock one. Same result.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Context menu in Chrome on long press

Post#2 by fanthom » 28 Jan 2017, 21:02

Hello landmaj,

This is known issue witch Chrome. The only solution is to use Firefox with 'Grab&Drag' addon which implements basic touch gestures.

Thanks.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

landmaj
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Debian

Post#3 by landmaj » 28 Jan 2017, 21:21

I started with Firefox but I couldn't find a good virtual keyboard. FxKeyboard doesn't support multiple languages (you have to change browser interface language to change keyboard language) and it's design is 'meh' at best. And there is no alternative. I found one promising addon but without support for polish and in some text fields (gmail and microsoft login page) it types from right to left.

Chrome has Google Input Tools and Virtual Keyboard. Google Input Tools doesn't work with password fields and Virtual Keyboard requires long press to type special characters. And since long press brings contex menu... I found Contex Menu Block extension for Chrome and it works but also messes with Virtual Keyboard.

Is there really no good on-screen keyboard solution for Porteus Kiosk?

And, if I may ask, where does this problem with Chrome comes from? I had to use normal Porteus distro with Chrome module from Porteus Kiosk in order to copy extension settings and I didn't have such a problem there.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 28 Jan 2017, 22:05

We use xmodmap in kiosk to block right mouse click. It works for standard mouse but for some reason it does not block touch events and i have not found any other way to block it.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.