homepage_append=mac not working

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
underground
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk 4.2.0

homepage_append=mac not working

Post#1 by underground » 09 Dec 2016, 10:18

Hello,

I am sorry if I posted this issue in the wrong location.

We need to know which kiosk is requesting the homepage. The homepage differs depending on the kios.
We want to use the mac address for this, but the setting 'homepage_appen=mac' is not working in kiosk 4.2.0
The homepage_append=hostname is working by the way (but not suitable for us)

If you set 'homepage_appen=mac' you get an empty kiosk variable (e.g. http://<myhomepage>?kiosk= )

Are we doing something wrong? Or is this a bug?

Regards,
Robert

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: homepage_append=mac not working

Post#2 by fanthom » 09 Dec 2016, 13:12

Hello Robert,

'homepage_appen=mac' works perfectly fine here - please test in virtual machine.

Please generate debug report in the wizard and send it to support@porteus-kiosk.org:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/screens/news/150829/report.png

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

underground
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: kiosk 4.2.0

Post#3 by underground » 09 Dec 2016, 14:06

Thank you for your quick answer.

Testing on a virtual machine will not help, because it needs to work on the real target.
This morning I had 'debug=yes' to check if the MAC address could be retrieved and eth0 mac address was displayed. So, that is not the problem.
Monday I will send the log file to the provided email address (Monday I am able to do this at the earliest)
By the way, we use remote configuration. The config file is retrieved from a server and that is working fine. But I hope that this doesn't make any difference.

It is not a typo because if I use hostname is does it correct, but with mac the parameter (kiosk) stays empty.
Could there be any interferrence with other settings? (e.g. hide address bar not set)

- Robert

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 09 Dec 2016, 14:25

"Testing on a virtual machine will not help, because it needs to work on the real target."
If you test your config in VM and the issue wont be present then we could be sure its related to your specific hardware. If the issue will be present then its your configuration fault rather than the hardware.

We need to eliminate all the factors one by one (basic debugging rule).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.