No boot filename received DHCP Hangs

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
joelphilippage
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

No boot filename received DHCP Hangs

Post#1 by joelphilippage » 26 Apr 2016, 12:53

Hi!

I installed Porteus Kiosk on a 512MB flash card for a MaxTerm MaxSpeed industrial PC. I was able to successfully boot off of the card on a newer PC, but when trying to boot on the MaxTerm, the boot gets stuck when trying to get an address from the DHCP server. It then says PXE-E53: No Boot filename recieved and bootloops. I see the computer on my Windows DHCP server and it has a very long MAC address. I have tried running normal Porteus, and get the same error, but the it boots up anyway and is connected to the network.

I'm assuming the problem is that it can't download the configuration during boot because it cannot make a connection to the network during boot. Is there an option I need to change or could the PC be too old to boot PXE?

Thanks!

-Joel

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: No boot filename received DHCP Hangs

Post#2 by fanthom » 26 Apr 2016, 14:18

Hello Joel,

Are you booting the kiosk from the flash card or through the network (doing PXE boot)? Kiosk 3.7.0 is installed differently than previous releases (it uses GRUB and not isolinux) and requires 1GB of storage.

Please install the kiosk on 1GB+ usb stick and check if you can boot it on the MaxSpeed industrial PC.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

joelphilippage
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by joelphilippage » 26 Apr 2016, 14:40

The MaxSpeed bios doesn't have a USB flash drive boot option. It has to boot off of the compact flash card or CD/Floppy USB drive. I don't have a larger compact flash card right now. Is there an older version that does not need as much storage? I guess I could buy a GB Compact Flash Card.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 27 Apr 2016, 09:02

Just to clarify:
Kiosk installation ISO will boot from 64MB media. After downloading additional modules kiosk must burn on 1GB+ storage (ISO is much smaller but it may become larger in the future. For the safety i picked 1GB size).

Are you able to boot installation ISO on MaxSpeed industrial PC? If not then it may not accept isohybrid format. You may burn installation ISO on a CD and install kiosk from it on the CF card. Post installation ISO uses GRUB rather than isolinux bootloader and that trick should workaround isohybrid problem (if it really affects your PC).

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.