[Solved] Screensaver doesn't launch after browser reset

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
SaintJimmy
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

[Solved] Screensaver doesn't launch after browser reset

Post#1 by SaintJimmy » 13 Nov 2015, 15:48

I'm completely new to Porteus Kiosk, so I'd be especially thankful for any assistance/advice provided.

I'm finding if I enable automatic browser reset, the screensaver will never launch if there's no activity - mouse click, keystroke, etc. In other words, once the browser reset happens, some kind of action (like a mouse click) has to happen before the screensaver's own inactivity clock kicks in.

As an example, if I set the screensaver to launch after 3 minutes of inactivity and set the automatic browser reset to launch after 5 minutes of inactivity, the following happens. After 3 minutes of no activity, the screensaver kicks in as it should. After another 2 minutes of inactivity, the browser resets itself. The screensaver quits and I'm back to the homepage. After another 3 minutes of inactivity, the screensaver does NOT kick in. Alternatively, if I do a mouse click immediately after the browser resets itself, the screensaver WILL kick in after 3 minutes.

I hope my description makes sense to you all. If not, I'd be happy to try to clarify. Ideally, I think the browser reset should happen without closing the screensaver, if that would be possible.
Last edited by SaintJimmy on 16 Nov 2015, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Screensaver doesn't launch after browser reset

Post#2 by fanthom » 13 Nov 2015, 16:00

Hello SaintJimmy,

Please send me your kiosk config on support@porteus-kiosk.org so i can recreate your scenario on my PC.

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

SaintJimmy
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by SaintJimmy » 13 Nov 2015, 16:12

Emailed the configuration as requested. Thank you!

SaintJimmy
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by SaintJimmy » 16 Nov 2015, 15:21

Thanks to fanthom, the problem has been SOLVED. He added the "always on top" attribute to the screensaver slideshow so it's no longer covered by the new browser window when it resets itself.

Thank you fanthom and Porteus Kiosk team!

alexeyx
Ronin
Ronin

Re: [Solved] Screensaver doesn't launch after browser reset

Post#5 by alexeyx » 13 Apr 2016, 07:41

Sorry for answer in this old topic. But I have the same issue with Firefox in fullscreen (without address bar and title bar) and slideshow.
After restarting the browser it gets to the foreground.
Is it possible to solve that issue?
Or how to set "always on top" to slideshow?

Firefox with title-bar and address-bar doesn't have that issue.

Version of Porteus kiosk is 3.7.0

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: [Solved] Screensaver doesn't launch after browser reset

Post#6 by fanthom » 13 Apr 2016, 18:07

Hello alexeyx,

Application window behaves differently when running in maximized and fullscreen modes. Old rules are not valid when navigation bar is disabled (fullscreen mode).
Anyway - issue is fixed now.

Caveat - browser window will be visible for a second during Firefox/Chrome restart but then screensaver window should be on top again. Not perfect (when navigation bar is enabled then browser does not appear at all during restart) but i have not found any better solution ....
Please download 3.7.0 ISO once again.

Thank you for reporting.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.